SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

What's for Dinner #407, early Fall 2023

Does not feel like Fall yet. A warm week with AC for just an hour in the afternoon to kill the humidity.

A new wok about a year ago has entered our weekly rotation.

Shrimp, egg, vegetable, cashew, fried rice

Comments (100)

• neely
    6 months ago

Lol, Haven’t been ‘blendered‘ for many years.

Good going with the frozen prep for soups.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Whenever i use 'blendered' i realize it is not a recognized word, that i can find beyond the UrbanDictionary. 'to blend' or 'to mix' can mean so many different things beyond the kitchen. A 'blender' is an appliance. To puree in my blender is pureed. A pureed diet. So why not a blendered diet. Cuts to the chase. Rather than "i put the ingredients in my blender to make a puree". Ingredients blendered.

Roasted another baby chicken. Bathed in purple light.

With roasted vegetables

Peruvian style green sauce, --carrot tops, celery tops, green onion, garlic, romaine leaf, lime,-blendered. One extra spicy for Mr sleeve.

• Related Discussions

What have you put up? 2023 version!

Q

Comments (187)
    PM, I finally dug that dahlia root, it frosted here a couple of nights ago and it's supposed to be a low of 23F tomorrow night, just on time for the trick or treaters. Those balloon peppers were amazingly prolific, I have a bunch of them pickled, so thanks for those seeds! I planted my garlic a couple of weeks ago, thankfully, it's been raining here a lot too. I just canned 10 pints of strawberry sauce from frozen strawberries in the freezer that have been there over a year, and 6 quarts of brussels sprouts newly picked, blanched and frozen. I finished off the dill, also in the freezer on a sheet tray, I'll package that tomorrow. Beef is scheduled for slaughter next week, and I think that will be just about the end of this year's preserving. Good thing, I'm running out of jars, space and energy, LOL! Annie
    ...See More

What new-to-you rose (or roses) are you most excited about for 2023?

Q

Comments (101)
    While watching several videos on youtube of the beautiful David Austin display gardens, it was brought home to me how effective darker roses such as Princess Anne and James Galway were in breaking up expanses of the softer whites, yellows and pale pinks. Another device that made an impact is how the different sizes of the blooms were very effective in giving interest and movement in areas in which there were almost no companion plants. From tiny to quite large, each rose bloom played a part in a veritable symphony of colors and patterns, and that is something we could readily transfer to our own gardens. In my garden of a very few seven roses there is yet one with very small and delicate blooms, Darlow's Enigma (white), slightly larger blooms of Purple Skyliner, the very large blooms of Grandmother's Hat, deep pink and Dixieland Linda, pinkish apricot, and the slightly smaller blooms of Wild Edric, deep pink, Cl. Caroline Testout, lighter pink and Ginger Syllabub, golden apricot. Not so bad for such a small assortment!
    ...See More

Accessible gardening 2023 - what does yours look like?

Q

Comments (3)
    I really like trellis gardening. I do have about 7 70 gallon raised food-grade stock tanks, so I don't have to lean over all the way to the ground for tomatoes, beans, peppers, herbs, etc. The only down sound is they require watering quite often. The 2 kinds of trellises I have are: My grown children's big old swing set. I took all the swings/slide off and lined most of one side with something like concrete reinforcing mesh. I grow Waltham butternut squash up that. Then I also lined the 2 ends with that wire/mesh and I can grow pole beans up those. Then I bought a cattle panel and shaped it into an arch and put in some metal stakes by the sides to keep it in place. I grow cucumbers up both sides of that. These systems work great! I do help the vines grow upward by using some bungee cords to train them to go upwards. I just love trellis gardening!
    ...See More

Fall swap 2023 news

Q

Comments (39)
    Thanks so much for everyone who came! It was a small but nice group. Lots of great plants! We missed those who couldn't come! My apologies for losing my temper about "starting early". I did check with John afterwards and he said there is no "2 o'clock rule"; he just always waited for some that he knew for sure were coming, and it happened to often be close to 2 when that usually panned out. He has started early before when everyone was ready and there. So... in the future - aim to come more like 1 or 1:30 and we'll get going that much quicker. ;) We may keep hosting at that location (it's free!), with John's leadership when he can. There's a little room for people who can't walk much to pull in and unload as long as they park out of the way as soon as they've unloaded. That got a little confusing today; sorry about that!
    ...See More
    Original Author
    6 months ago

A common meal following a roasted chicken...tacos or fried rice or soup.

Chicken tacos win.

Taco prep--corn tortillas rubbed with chili crisp and into the oven to toast a bit. Shaved fennel slaw. Green sauce at the table

• neely
    6 months ago

That Peruvian style green sauce sounds and looks like I would like to try it, maybe with a little chilli.

Various discussions on this site regarding BBQ, smoking, grilling etc has led me to buy a cast iron charcoal/woodchip basket for our gas type BBQ. Filled this with some maple wood chips from a tree at our country cabin, and it worked out great.

Lamb chops, charred corn, charred fennel together with green salad and potato salad.

Original Author
    6 months ago

Yum. All my favorite things on your plate.

Last night i made Shrimp-n-Sausage-n-Grillades-n-Grits. (GREE-ahds) recipe here

Night before i slow roasted a rack of ribs. Perfectly tender for grillades.

Sides we had with the ribs

Original Author
    6 months ago

Noodle Bowl--dumplings and forbidden black rice ramen

• neely
    6 months ago

Had a few red peppers that needed to be used, so rice and mince stuffed red peppers with potato, garlic and red peppers as a side. Sprinkled parmesan.

Original Author
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

I have some lamb mince and spaghetti squash. Good stuffing ideas.

Tuesday i made another stir fry. Shrimp, veg and egg.

Original Author
    6 months ago

Wednesday i was expecting a box of salmon from Alaska, PrideofBristolBay

I've ordered twice a year, Fall and Spring, for 6+ years but did not order last Spring and have missed having it in the freezer. 26-28 6-7 ounce portions. Perfect portions to split.

Had the smoker ready to go but did not arriave until just after dinner. (frozen solid with 4 bags of dry ice) - free shipping

We will smoke this weekend.

So just had pasta with a quick fresh tomato and vegetable sauce

Next days lunch was even better. Like a fresh basil and herb decontructed pesto pasta salad. No blender necessary.

Original Author
    6 months ago

My 'mother' basil plant is just over a year old. I've been rooting cuttings all summer with a few offspring in the garden. More cuttings early September for the indoor winter garden. The Mother plant has a main stem as thick as a chopstick. Needs constant prunning and root trimming.

Original Author
    6 months ago

Smoked a few salmon fillets. As well as irish cheedar and motzarella. A tray of tomatillos/shallots/garlic.

Plenty for a few more meals. Sushi, croquettes, maybe a bisque.

Miso glazes smoke salmon

Mixed grain with seaweed salad

• neely
    6 months ago

This was a Swiss chard quiche with pickled cucumber salad. I added chilli crisp to mine…

• neely
    6 months ago

Lamb cutlets with mashed potato, broccoli and carrots

Went to our little country place and had pizza on the verandah for lunch in the sunshine

Original Author
    6 months ago

We seem to be on a similar rotation. I let the crisper drawer thin so much last week i took it outside for a hose cleanse. (winter squash, cabbages, tomatoes, in cool garage storage)

Nor' Easter storm on the way so garden needs the last harvest before threat of frost. Probably pizza tomorrow.

A couple weeks ago we were talking about our top 10-20 favorite meals out or take-out/pick-up...high end , low end.

Our first apt in NYC had an Italian small market/deli a few blocks away. He smoked homemade mozzarella in a bullet smoker outside on the sidewalk and made small artichoke/leek pies and sausage/leek pies. Bagels/salmon/cream cheese. DH on Sundays would take the pup for a walk and visit the DogPark, then pick up treats on the way home for a brunch.

So i made a Leek Artichoke Heart Tart. A bit of goat and feta cheese. Once firm i guilded the lily and added cappicola, olives, kimchi, and cherry tomatoes. (extra crust i made some small maple leaf shapes but forgot to put them in the freezer to keep firm) ...back into the over to crisp and blister the tomatoes....

DH lost a close friend to a tragic motorcycle accident so have been making some of his favorites

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 months ago

Psst?

We had hamburger stroganoff last night. My brother, who is very health conscious never eats seconds, and he had two helpings. Heaped on his plate covered with corn. It was very decadent! Loads of cream and sour cream. No, I only did a half a pound of mushrooms. I wasn't sure how many people wanted them as much as I did. I just love them when you cook them, and then sear them until the moisture has cooked off. Mmm. Followed up with chocolate mousse. No pictures because I don't want to draw too much attention. 😉 Maybe I'll do beef next time. I do love a good beef stroganoff. Neither one that I make, contains cream of mushroom soup.

Right now, in the oven, is my first pot roast EVER (I remember watching my grandmother make it, and found it intimidating. Though, I remember her searing it, and I can say I did that well!). We'll see if I have to do something to doctor it, or if I can use it to make a billion different meals.

P.S. I totally rocked it! Going to hold on to it for the next few days and try and get Daddy out here to eat some. With another sibling or two. Good stuff

• neely
    6 months ago

Good to hear your pot roast turned out real well rob. I also remember my grandmother’s very yummy potroasts which I have never been able to completely replicate. She used to do hers on top of the stove in about an inch of liquid. I remember it had to be topped up/ added to the inch every so often with a lot of fussing. I see you did yours in the oven… did you use a little liquid or almost submerging the meat.

We did ribs on our BBQ gas griller type with the charcoal basket providing smoke by maple chips.

Eta….i’ll have to read back posts that are about rubs and sauces now I’m happier getting a smokey taste into the meat that is barbque’d

Original Author
    6 months ago

Spring Rolls Thai Style...again

And another batch of humus and Aji Verde and kimchi

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 months ago

Some liquid, not submerged. I tried not to fiddle with it too much, and make sure to cook it long enough to break down. I was sorely tempted to take it out too early for fear of overcooking it.

It was supposed to be for dinner with Daddy and other siblings. He's really ailing so I put it in the freezer. Sad to have to wait. But I do want to serve it to him so I will wait.

Original Author
    6 months ago

Friday night Pizza al Taglio, Roman style

Dehydrated some tomato slices low and slow--250ºF for about an hour with fan assist. Just to remove some moisture.

Bonus blender sauce for the freezer and made a mess. Should have used the larger blender jar. I baked the stem and blossom ends for this sauce with a couple fresh ripe tomatoes, parmesan, a hot pepper and used the pretty slces for the pizza.

Original Author
    6 months ago

Saturday was burger night

With blue cheese and a shared side plate of roasted vegetables

• neely
    6 months ago

Burger with roast veg on the side sounds yum.

We had a traditional sort of roast only it as just two pork chops. There was gravy in a jug but it didn’t make the photo. Roast pumpkin Jap variety, the skin becomes soft enough to eat with the roasting but I generally peel it before. Blob of apple sauce

Original Author
    6 months ago

About a week and a half ago i had an empty crisper drawer. And fridge. Crisper i took outside for a Fall hose scrub. Washed the fridge shelves. Good garden crops in cold storage.Full freezer with roasted corn/tomatoes, etc. I'm not a good house keeper but for the kitchen/fridge/pantry/freezer i'm a bit fussy. Clean prep area, clean sink/counters.

DH is a good dishwasher loader/emptier sort of, lol. Kitchen is a team sport.

Crisper is now loaded with vegetable choices. Why i do a mixed vegetable roast. We both like brussels, but i go for the carrots, beets, sweet potatoes and he wants the basic potatoes and avoids cauliflower and broccoli. Then says, "i've not cared for those until now".

Last night we wanted ramen shrimp dumplings.

Lovely calm day but lost power as i was plating. Transfer switch was trouble so a good reminer to work on that before the winter cold sets in. Fine now and the power was only out for an hour.

Winter indoor salads better than ever.

Keeping the baby salad spinner full 24/7

• foodonastump
    6 months ago

Just visiting for the first fime, browsing for inspiration. Yum all. While also not a proper term, ”blenderize” can be found in informal dictionaries. ”Run through the blender” works for me but all of the above will get the point across just fine.

Sick as a dog but finally summoned up enough energy to make a steak omelet, and started a batch of avgolemono which I’ve got to go back and tend to.

Original Author
    6 months ago

Sounds like the nasty flu going around. ick. Hopefully not covid again.

We are having friends over this Saturday for a clam bake/boil-up brunch but the weather is going to be the best in weeks. Near 80º. Has rained the past 5-6 weekends. Eating outside, ...priceless. We have all decided to be very careful leading up starting last week. Masking when out and about.

Love that soup. Lemons/limes are at the top of my favorite cooking ingredient list with ginger and white miso close second.

Need to put pork chops on my shopping list once the freezer thins. Late last Spring i sv'd a few packs, then froze. Long gone. I'll SV, then smoke with more salmon.

Last night a DH favorite. Egg fried rice. Smoked salmon, cashews, lacinato kale, three seaweeds and micro greens.

Original Author
    6 months ago

PLT, (proscuitto, lettuce, tomato)

Added greens at the table. Double decker tomatoes.

Side salad of shaved fennel, cucumber, onion, artichoke hearts

Original Author
    6 months ago

Shrimp, Sausage, Leek, Pappardelle

Made a quick pasta sauce low and slow oven roasted last-of-the-tomatoes and ran through the cuisinart for a few pulses. The roasted lemon juice was a nice touch.

• neely
    6 months ago

The shrimp, sausage, leek and pappadelli sounds and looks good.

I am away at the moment in other city Perth, 4 flying hours from where I live, visiting my DS, DDIL and 2 grandsons again. I was a bit scathing (blush) of DDIL’s cooking last time I was here. She cooks so ‘healthy’ that it takes the joy out of eating. However, there has been a change… portions are a little bigger and not so strictly for nutrition only ( I ‘m not saying nutritional value is bad but a splash of hummus, 3 boiled carrots sprinkled with sesame seeds for dinner is not my idea of dinner ) Bread is now allowed for lunch and while sugar is still ‘off the plate’ she does use honey and maple syrup a little more where a certain amount of sweetness is required. She used to make avocado and cacao mousse with just those two ingredients but now adds a little stevia for sweetness. So I’m happy. Last time I lost weight what with running after a 4 and a 2 year old. I got home and said to DH it felt like I’d been to boot camp on meagre rations.

Anyway What’s for dinner last night was a meal at a good Chinese restaurant. The following is some of the food we shared. It was all delicious

Chili tofu

Lamb

Belly pork with mushrooms

Original Author
    6 months ago

Beautiful international city Perth. Theatre, art museums, parks and gardens. And obviously a great restaurant scene. Did not know it is about 2500 miles from Sidney. On the Indian Ocean. White beaches.(i had to look it up) Beautiful plates of food. I like the cashews and tofu in the chili. I'll have to remember that for the curry i recently made, now in the freezer.

I'd forgotten about the 'boot camp' visit, haha.

Two of my nephews, brothers, both married yoga-pant-pescatarians leaning toward Vegan. Much better than fast food, processed food, junk food. Both have two todlers. Probably too young and busy and on a budget to think about what house guests might need. Visiting both our families we need to grocery shop day one or two. We travel with a starter bag of mixed grains, spice blends, granola, seeds/nuts, etc. Smaller packages when flying.

BC, (before covid), we had a rotating door of houseguests, especially at the beach house. But that is 20 years now. Well stocked for all guests needs. I always do 'on-your-own-help-yourself 'for breakfast/lunch and snacks. Lots of dietary choices. I do the big dinners. But lots of practice over the years. Without much effort.

Last night was Pasta al Forno con Burrata e Carciofi, (baked leftover pasta)

With a big shared salad...olives, feta, cucumber, shaved fennel, garden herbs

Unsweetend pomegranate molasses drizzle

I really should weigh my pasta. 1/3rd pound would be enough and even then will have leftovers for next day lunch or bake.

Like beans, pasta swells 2.5 times their dry state. Soaking three different beans for a salad tomorrow and need to dial back the quantity.

Thought i over baked but not at all. Like a next day lasagna.

• annie1992
    5 months ago

Neely, I remember you talking about that visit, LOL. I'm glad the menu has expanded a little and I hope you had a wonderful visit with the grands!

FOAS, I hope you are all better now.

Here I've been busy. The garden was amazingly prolific this year and Elery had that hip replaced and my brother passed away a week after that, it was just kind of crazy. Between the house, the farm, the garden, the family and nursing duties, my time was taken. I sincerely hope to never see another pair of those compressions socks, LOL. Elery couldn't put them on because he wasn't supposed to bend over that far. Yeah, so how DO you put the socks on if you don't have someone there to help you? Anyway, we're past that so hopefully life will slow down a bit.

Here it's snowing, just on time for the trick or treaters. My view is out my window:

So, tonight we had a frittata with sweet red peppers, onions and cheese, as well as some fried potatoes with more of the onions. I didn't even think to take a picture, but I've got about a bushel of onions I need to use up, so I'm working on it. They will store for a couple of months, so that's fortunate. I do have a picture of the onions though, dehydrated. Two half gallon jars, ought to last me the year. Maybe more, LOL.

Last night I cooked some of the Chrsitmas Limas and baked cornbread, one of Elery's favorite meals. I also sauteed some apples, we got over 20 bushels from two Red Delicious trees. We pressed cider, I canned apple sauce and pie filling and juice and jelly and dehydrated some for Apple Stack Cake and I'm now feeding the rest to the cows, I'm done with those! Well, except for the batch that I fried last night to go on cornbread...

The Beans:

Other than that, I'm not even going to try to catch up! (grin) Maybe I'll be better going forward.

Annie

Original Author
    5 months ago

Snow...🫤🤪!?

I still have some garden greens and fruit tree harvest in the barn. Like every year, not sure what to do with it all. We had a Fall flush of rhubarb and always surprized how many co-workers want it and fight over it. Asian pears are small since i did not cull. (we like them small). Apples, pears, and asian pears are crazy expensive in the markets now...nice to have so many to gift away.

Meatless Monday and TacoTuesday. Never planned but makes sense going easy after a big weekend BBQ.

Salad, mixed bean salad, fennel slaw. Olives, feta, artichoke hearts.

TacoTuesday

Sous vide local farm share grass fed rib eye. 122Fº 2 and one half hours. Ice bath, then dry brine in the fridge for a few hours, then cast iron sear.

Tender, rare, delicious

Original Author
    5 months ago

Last night, rotation ramen bowl. Shrimp, dumplings, ....miso, ginger, dashi.

• neely
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Annie, so sorry to hear your brother passed away, taken aback really… was this your brother that lived with your mother, I had the impression he was sort of youngish. What a time you’ve had.

What’s for dinner was a hotel meal

chicken korma which was very ordinary

• chloebud
    5 months ago

Taco Soup last night with a dab of sour cream.

• annie1992
    5 months ago

Neely, that was my only brother, he was less than 2 years older than I am, but he had a lot of health issues, which is one of the reasons he lived with Mother, they kind of took care of each other. He had a variation of Muscular Dystrophy, smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day, and had already had 3 heart attacks and two strokes. He fell and broke his femur, went into rehab, refused to do anything they told him to do while he was there. The incision became infected and he refused to eat, he said their food was terrible but he didn't eat anything brought in to him either, his eating habits were worse than Mother's. The death certificate listed cause of death as malnutrition and surgical wound infection. So, it was neither quick nor unexpected, but still difficult. My sister passed away in 2015 so both siblings and my parents are gone, it seems strange and oddly lonely to be the only one left of all of us. I do have cousins and nieces and nephews, of course, and two elderly Aunts, so not really alone...

Annie

Original Author
    5 months ago

And your beautiful grandchildren!. Sorry for your recent loss. Never easy.

We recently discused how we used to complain about attending weddings in our 30's 40's.

Our 50's and 60's have been about losses of close friends and a few family members. Long covid and cancer scares. I'll take a wedding any day over a funeral/memoral service.

So often rehabilitation and pain meds, turns into depression and hospice care.

Recently a member on my gardening forum asked, "why do you garden?". (i did not take tha bait). So many took the time to say how lovely it is to take a cup of coffee outside early morning to harvest and check on things. Theraputic, calming, etc. Then, "seems so stupid when you can get all you need from the grocery". Moderators could not delete that person fast enough.

I make a taco soup we love. Similar. I made a big batch of chili last month or so. Frozen in pints. Often pull out one pint and a pint of master stock for a soup. A bit brothier than a chili. Some harvest frozen corn and 1/2 pint of beans. So good in the winter months.

Last night cast iron seared crispy skin salmon. Stovetop, then into the oven with a miso glaze for a few minutes. Nice and rare, sushi grade. (did not flip it)

Mixed grain with hijiki, wakame, nori, furakaki.

Some roasted vegetables

Original Author
    5 months ago

Another Cashew, Shrimp, Sausage and Egg Fried Rice. Bok choy, arugula, celery and carrot tops.

Made extra grain the night before.

Original Author
    5 months ago

Mr. Sleeve asked a few times yesturday to write down the stirfry method. It has become one of his favorite easy meals i make. Easier than a simple oven sheet pan meal.

I only took two process pics.

This will not win awards for being 'traditional', but i don't follow rules. Make-it-the-way-you-like-it.

A link of sausage went in with a tBsp of avocado oil and a 1/4 cup h2O...the steam method. Lid on until the the water steams off and starts to sear. Takes about 10-15 minutes. (you can hear it sizzle). Turn it and sear a couple minutes. Out to rest. Cashews go in to toast, then shrimp, slice the sausage and back in. Shrimp just under done. Pink but slightly transparent.

While the sausage steams, pleanty of time to take out and prep the bok choy and greens.

Because of the small amount of sausage grease, the eggs cooked lovely without adding more avocado iol. --I used to do the cashews, then the eggs. I like the eggs whole, not scrambled. Perfectly varigated/marbled...often called Farmhouse. Bits of cooked whites and yolk. Stem ends of the bok choy gets some heat as well.then In goes the rice tossed, then the shrimp, sausage, cashews back in and last minute a mix of greens. No salty soy sauce or sweet.

Take out Chinese always tastes a bit dead and soggy. No love. Stoner food.

25 years ago our go-to take out was Thai and fantastic tacos. Not Chinese. (Obviously exceptions in any neighborhood local joint.)

Dissapointlng the wok i purchased a couple years ago is out of stock. Jet black and silky smooth carbon steel....

So much nicer to cook in over my college wok i lost track of years ago. Nice to have a stirfry back in our rotation.

• yeonassky
    5 months ago

I as i said before am a long time lurker.

I just am delighted with the beautiful food photos and yes more than slightly envious of what everyone can eat.

My DH wants to make apple pie that I can eat as well right now so he is trying out a crust made with whole rye flour flax seed and extra eggs since I can't eat yeast etc. He whips me up pancakes made with rye flour and eggs and I mean literally whips up everything. He makes a very fluffy pancake that the whole family enjoys and eats not just myself. (ETA Every time I read this sentence I know it is wrong. Does it imply that my family eats my flesh?. Here is how I will change it.

I'm not the only one who enjoys the fluffy rye pancakes my whole family does.)

Anyway wanted to thank you for continuing to make my mouth water and my mind wander to how can I make that. I do try occasionally but now I desperately want wheat ramen and I know I can't have it. Oh well I can always stick with the sweet potato starch noodles that I found that are skinny. Thanks again.

• John Liu
    5 months ago

Had our first dinner party in a long while.

Made a boneless leg of lamb. Mustard-herb mixture inside, then sous vide for 6 hours at 130F. For some reason that I don’t understand, it took forever to heat up. I was running late on prep and overconfident. Started with lamb at room temp and water at 130F, but 5 hours in, the internal temp was still <120F. I finally pulled it still below target 130F, and tried to salvage an underdone situation by cutting the 7 lb leg in half, opening it up, and searing it hard on inside and outside. Worked, just barely. Dinner guests liked it, though I’d have liked it a bit more done. On top is a chimmichurri (minced basil, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, shallots, tomato, lemon juice, etc

Normally I do leg of lamb with rosemary, garlic, butter and roast in oven. This was an experiment. Whole dinner was an experiment, made stuff I don’t usually do. Lentils with eggplant puree, grilled zucchini salad, etc. Turned out okay.

The grilled zuc was easy. Cut small zucchini on the diagonal into long 3/8" slices, salt, pat dry, grill to get nice char marks, then roast until tender, and toss in balsamic vinegar. Cut Parmesan cheese into large flakes and crumble onto the zucchini. Toss peeled hazelnuts in olive oil, salt, and sugar, roast until fragrant, break into fragments (2 second spin in the RobotCoupe), and add. Chop up mint leaves, cilantro, garlic, spices of your choice (cumin, etc), and toss in. Drizzle with red wine vinegar.

The lentils were more complicated. Simmer small green lentils with carrot and onion until tender, drain and discard the carrot and onion. Dice carrot, celery, tomato, garlic, shallots and roast in a pan. Roast eggplant, extract flesh, put in Robot Coupe with creme fraiche and process to a soft puree, adding spices (I used paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, wasabi power, salt and pepper) until the sweetness of the eggplant is accented with some heat. Mix lentils, roast veg, eggplant puree, and a little olive oil and a little water as needed to get a loose, moist texture (don’t want it dry at all). Top with more creme fraiche (could sub yoghurt or tzatziki sauce).

I also made panko crab cakes, which were tasty but didn't hold together - next time I'll add some egg white as binder. I'd defrosted some salmon filets for salmon cakes, but SWMBO picked up lump crab instead, so I have to cook the salmon soon. Going to figure out some way to use the left-over roast hazelnuts on that.

• neely
    5 months ago

Annie, very sad about your brother, a real determined character but too determined for his own good. Still who am I to say that… we are all different and he had his own ways of doing and being. I do repeat that you’ve had an absolutely full on time lately and I do hope things have settled down for you. I know what you mean about feeling like the only one on your side of the family. I only have a younger brother left, he calls me the matriach which I kind of like.

Lovely to hear your thoughts yeonassky and the pie pastry and pancakes with rye flour sound good.

John Liu, your lamb looks delicious even though you took a round about way of getting there. The lentils with eggplant and the grilled zucchini salad all sound very good and thanks for the details, might try doing zucchini like that as soon as I can.

Sleeve, delicious food as normal and it was interesting to read your method of stir fry and definitely unconventional. Smile.

DDIL made salmon spaghetti with crispy skin as a garnish.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 months ago

I'm back to lurking because I have nothing to contribute. All soups. Pork and mushroom risotto (with a bit of wild rice thrown in), chicken taco, and vegetable barley. Rotating them, by taking out a bit at a time from the freezer. When my child left they took everything (all the good stuff), including, but not limited to my rotisserie. I bought a new rotisserie/air fryer, because, every time I replace what they took, I am upgrading. So far, I hate air frying. Oh well. I used the rotisserie part and it was as good as ever. Nibbled on the wings. Used the breasts to make chicken salad and taquitos (thief is coming home this weekend and I froze them all for that). I left the dark meat under-cooked so I could use them in a different application. I wanted to see if it would crisp up in the air fryer. Everyone talks about how it's great for that type of application. I didn't get to that point since I was unhappy with several taquito experiments, talked to kiddo who has an air fryer now, and they said they didn't find crisp to be true. So I gave up. I fried the last four pieces in a deep fryer so I wouldn't waste them. Mostly though, it's just soup. boring!

That said, everything is looking fabulously tasty! The stir fry (thanks for the methods!), lamb, salmon spaghetti/salad/chilled wine... lovely.

Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks for stopping by yeonassky and the 'high five'.

This is the time of year i need to re-visit and study up on all the various grain, seed, and bean flours. Just found my rye flour and it has gone rancid. Need to order. I make a Norwegian brown bread i call 'barnyard rye'. Not a poop scent but more like newly mown damp hay. Dad loves it. My sister avoids dairy and gluten as well as rice and lentils. But is fine with sprouted grain flour. Both our extended families have sensitivities but no allergies. Just started holiday meal planning. We do all the cooking. Gets difficult to please all but we like the challenge.

A shame about your sous vide stick John Liu. Might be toast. Maybe do a small saucepan test using hot tap water to start. My little notebook i keep in my cambro says that i cut my leg of lamb in two. 128F for 3 hours. Take one out and ice bath it. Raise temp to 132F for another hour. Into ice bath. I also did this the day before and fridged them. (not sure why) I have no memory of the meal so must have been 5 or more years ago. Must have given them some dry brine time and grill seared to finish the re-heat? Might have had houseguests.

Nice looking pasta and salad and portion, (wink)

Last night i cast iron seared a flat iron steak. From the local farm meat share. They choose the cuts. Always interesting. Really nice flavor and tender. I gave it a good 6-7 hour dry brine uncovered in the fridge.

I over ordered potatoes to test some holiday appetizer ideas. So made some long overdo lumpy mashed. Just a bit of yogurt. Steak was good with a shaved fennel salad. Arugula, blanched kale and fennel stems. Pickled red onions.

prep

Leftovers for a shared lunch plate

A third of the steak in the fridge. Leaning towards steak tacos tonight.

• John Liu
    5 months ago

I’ll need to run some tests on the immersion stick. I really thought 6 hours would be more than enough time!

• neely
    5 months ago

First meal cooked at home after visiting DS and fam.

Battered fish and beans, with orzo, mushroom and kale ‘risotto.‘

Original Author
    5 months ago

That should be plenty of time John. SeriousEats based on a half leg of lamb...

A quick test and take the water temp when it says it has reached 130º. The only other thing might be the size of your bath. I think it is Anova that says some of the larger coolers some use are too big. It isn't designed to keep up a good circulation in a big bath. I stick to one or two pound packages. Often 3-4 at a time and keep them suspended off the bottom not touching and rotate once or twice. I don't use mine that often. Great for pork. Last weeks ribeye was perfect.

As planned we had steak and kimchi tacos

• neely
    5 months ago

Loving being back in my own kitchen and doing my cooking projects. Most are not grand but DH and I enjoy eating them.

Home made spinach and fetta gozleme, oven baked rather than fried. So good making dough again.

• John Liu
    5 months ago

Sleeve, perhaps my problem was trying to sous vide a whole 7 lb leg, instead of dividing it. The pot was also a very large one, to fit the leg. The immersion stick used was my larger one, which has never failed me before. I’ve sous vided several racks of ribs in a large cooler, using it. I do hope it is not failing. It only cost $25 in a second hand store, but would cost significantly more to replace.

By the way, happiness is having half a leg of lamb stashed in the fridge, ready to cut slices for snacks wherever you want! Just as good as having a whole container of jello. I alternate snackage. Lamb, jello. Lamb, jello. Maybe it should be lamb, jello, Ozempic.

Original Author
    5 months ago

Copy you on the lamb. Best to be slightly under done on the rare side than over. Waz-up with the jello? Still recovering from covid? My SIL has long covid. Back on her bike daily but has developed an irregular heartbeat. So much still unknown about lingering side effects. As a cancer survivor she has good health care doctors but many Dr's are exhausted trying to help long covid patients. My BIL has spent the last 3 years in the ICU and spends every free moment reading/studying all published information.

I stock this for making fresh fruit juice jello. (BIL is Halal)

Welcome home Neely. DH makes similar for his lunch sometimes. Did not know it had a name and is Turkish.

Original Author
    5 months ago

Had another test for the holiday meal planning. X-mas eve and X-mas day, done. Covers all dietary sensitivities.

X-mas eve, spring rolls, falafel, and creole shrimp salad cups. Then traditional oyster stew.

Something for everyone

Humus, aji verde and green juice. Made a creamy salad dressing with yogurt, sesame seed/oil and half an avocado last (not pictured).

Original Author
    5 months ago

Yesterday i smoked 6 salmon filets, (6 oz each)...not full sides. 2 one pound fresh mozarella balls, and a couple big slices/slabs of Irish cheedar. 4 links of sausage.(small electric cabinet type smoker) Most will be food savered and into the freezer for the holidays.

Last night I made smoked salmon spaghettoni. (fat spaghetti). No central hole like bucatoni.