SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
intwilightshadow

Accessible gardening 2023 - what does yours look like?

intwilight z6a KS
11 months ago

I imagine we all have slightly different situations.

So, I'm in my early 40s. I have a number of health problems as fall out from a serious illness. Primarily what impacts gardening is:

1. lack of stamina. I'm strong, and can get up and down, but I don't last.

2. inability to lean over, squat down, and sit normally in a chair due to orthostatic intolerance issues (I can sit with my feet up and stand best, I wear compression socks every day).

I have arthritis but it's still minor.

Little things that help me:

• knee pads that just go on with velcro - I can kneel for a little bit, and work my way down a flower bed easily with these than the kneeling pad I had before.
  • expandable hose - I was struggling to spread out a regular hose, especially a long one. It also doesn't kink up, making me chase where the pinch is stopping water.
  • strategic chairs - I have two lounge chairs (one for each side of the house) plus a "ground beach chair." This is basically a pad with a backrest, and weighs almost nothing, so I can take it where needed easily in the yard. I can do longer sessions if I can work a bit and then rest a bit.
  • keeping tools sharp - my father-in-law even sharpened up my 2 main shovels last fall and digging this spring was much easier!

Comments (3)