SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

You really can put anything in the salad--v.2 without the b-word

plllog
8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

I don't "stone" but I've been accused, recently, of making stoner food. I've had some limits and haven't been making a lot of fiddly recipes. I'd love to eat my mother's arroz con pollo, but I do not want to make it. For today's small lunch party, I just did a family classic--make your own sandwich, with chicken salad and zucchini salad along with cheese slices, deli, veg, pickles... The chicken salad was a hit! But I hadn't slept well last night, and had no time to think this morning, so just keep adding things.

Today's chicken salad:

2 lbs. (minus one piece which was sliced, so 4) steam poached boneless skinless chicken big white meat things (organic), diced not too big

+/- 2/3 c. Ojai Cook mayonnaise

...with a garlic pepper (inc. salt) blend, powdered galangal and dried epazote all sprinkled thickly over the mayo and mixed in

Kernels cut from half of a large ear of bicolor corn (cooked)

1 large scallion, sliced

+/- 2.5 oz. slightly dried blueberries

1/2 large red bell pepper, diced small

2 stalks celery, diced small.

2 large stems mint, chiffonade

1 handful of small baby spinach leaves, whole (raw)

Served with romaine leaves, sliced heirloom tomatoes (really delicious ones), jarred longways sandwich sliced dill pickles, plus mustard and mayonnaise, and sliced ementhaller and havarti.

My own sandwich was really wonderful, on a croissant with all the fixings except cheese and mayo (and deli meat which was there for the guy who doesn't like chicken salad).

This was definitely random crap from the fridge. I did nix both the green beans and the cauliflower (both cooked), and fresh flatleaf parseley, thinking they'd each throw off the flavor, but otherwise it was just whatever I found. I've used all the above before in chicken salad, but never all together. Foodies on TV always talk about too many ingredients, but I've got to tell you, it was all really good, stoner, er, uninhibited!, food or not.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm