SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaimegarvey

Help with cabinet stain (warm or cool) and white or off-white uppers!

jaimegarvey
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

Hi Houzz Community!

Could you help with my kitchen cabinet colors?

I have an open concept kitchen (9 foot ceilings), living room, dining room (see photo of a rendering I made for layout and light sources). Worth noting - I'm located in Atlanta (which is a forest) so there are many overcast days.

I’d like to make the kitchen as timeless as possible and have decided to do a 2 tone kitchen with a painted upper and a stained cabinet for the base cabinets.

There is no wall, ceiling, or trim color with now (I'm doing a full renovation). The flooring is a LVP that looks like a natural white oak.

There are 2 options I am trying to decide between for the stained cabinets.

Option A:

A warmer medium brown (Chestnut) with a slight sheen. I’m thinking this option would have to be paired with a warmer white upper (considering Alabaster).

Pros

• Warmer palette may brighten up the space during overcast days

Considerations/Cons

• Does it warm wood feel more dated (i.e., may not be as timeless)?
  • Does a warm palette (specifically off white upper) limit my ceiling and trim colors (and other decor option) to also be warmer?

Option B

Option B is a darker stain with a slight grey undertone (also more matte). I’m trying to avoid using a grey painted upper but I’m not sure if I need to use a warmer white or bright white uppers.

Pros

• The darker base cabinet contrasts more with the flooring
  • The slight grey tone makes it feel modern (for now)

Considerations/Cons

• Will this option make the space feel too dark?
  • Will the slight grey undertones feel dated eventually (once grey is no longer trendy)?

What do you recommend for the upper (white or warm white) cabinets and base cabinets (warm medium stain/option A or darker stain/option B) to create the most timeless look? And any thoughts on a wall color?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (6)