SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_330

Relocating a kitchen, possibilities? - Really need advise!

Sherry X
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

Updates:

Hi everyone, thanks for all your advice and insights! I had the house inspected and here are some updates.

1. If I demolish the existing kitchen and relocate it to the room (12x13) next to the bathroom, I was quoted 60k to 70k because I don't have gas cooking in the house so no major plumbing work.
  2. You guys pointed out to me the importance of the second bathroom so I decided to legalize it. That plus upgrading the existing one would be around 60k
  3. Inspections: The plumbing and furnace are relatively new, but the roof is probably 15+ years. No apparent foundation issues. Do need a whole upgrade of the electric system (15k). The floor needs some refreshing but is in very good condition.
  4. Other noticeable repairs include putting in an HVAC (15k), Replacing two leaked bay windows (into standard ones)(5k?) Update the finished basement (30k) and install a driveway (5k?)
  5. There are some uncertain issues: potential leaking problem with the basement ceiling (seen some watermarks) under the unpermitted bathroom; potential non-working oil heating system at the basement level (cannot be inspected at this time) Are any of them costly red flags?
  6. One big bummer is that the basement is 6'8'' but the state requires a 7' ceiling height for a habitable space so we will not be able to have a CO for the finished basement if we proceed.

The house is priced 200k below the market and my offer is another 30k below the asking price. I hope it would be a safe range. Anything I am missing or not giving a reasonable budget?

Thank you all for your valuable contribution. I have learned so much and really appreciate your time and help!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone, first-time homebuyer here. I am hoping to pick up some brilliant minds in the discussion about relocating a kitchen. We are about to make a serious offer if such relocation is possible. I understand it is case by case scenario and will definitely hire a GC for details but I don't want to waste the time of the GC or seller if it is a terrible idea.

Plz forgive my bad drawing. All the dimensions are messed up. Just want to get the idea crossed. As you can see, the kitchen was originally located at the front of the house and I am hoping to relocate it to the back. The reason I am forgoing the original bathroom is that it is unpermitted work and does not seem to be well-done, so I am leaning towards getting rid of it than legalizing it.

My questions are:

1. Since the new kitchen will be right next to the old bathroom (water plumbing ) and right on top of the original laundry room (water and gas plumbing ) in the basement, does it mean the cost of plumbing will be much lower? What else is needed plumbing -wise?
  2. We are planning on an Ikea kitchen, nothing grandiose. What might be a reasonable budget for the relocation? 80k maybe? (The walls we plan to remove are not load-bearing)
  3. Which one is better: do the relocation through 203k or close the house and then fiance it otherwise?
  4. What else am I missing? Anything about 203k or relocation I should watch for?

Thank you so much for your time and help! We have had our heart broken missing out on a dream house earlier this year and we are really hoping this is the right one! Advise or constructive criticism are welcomed and appreciated! I know I have a lot more to learn.

Before :

After:

Comments (26)