SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dorothy_dueck

Window Treatment Help in a tricky upstairs bedroom?

Dorothy Dueck
last year
last modified: last year

We would be very grateful for any suggestions on window treatments for a bedroom. ie. Where to install curtain rod and where to end curtains and any other thoughts. Wall colour will be Benjamin Moore ”white down”. Carpet, will be a light creamy beige. Ceiling is cloud white.

There will be hydronic heat baseboards (not electric, no fire risk) below the window (the top of baseboard will be about 6” off ground). So we cannot extend the drapes to the ground or we will block the heat flowing out.

My thoughts are to end bottom of curtains right above the radiator -white curtains, same colour as radiator to try to help them blend in...but my husband thinks that will look silly and that the curtains should end a few inches below bottom of window sill. I think that may make the baseboards ”pop” and make the ceiling appear lower. Due to some tricky structural issues (addition onto existing 90 year old home), this was the design we had to settle on that, that gave us the most functional space and view.

We are not fans of blinds that take away from view, or look too cold/modern. I’m afraid I’m also like a rooster - awake with the sun (4 a.m. here in July!), and cannot seem to find a comfy sleeping mask that actually blocks out the light - so I need good blackout window treatment options. But as you can see from the photo, we are going to have challenges, and welcome any creative ideas!

Comments (6)