SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_489025842

Exterior help. Siding? Porch roof?

Sandi MC
last year

Hi everyone- please help if you have any thoughts about this. We have 1986 vinyl siding and broken original windows- desperately in need of replacing. (1st picture- beige house) Before we do, we are having a hard time with colors. I really like the red and deep grey-blue. But not sure it would work on our house.
Anything that would help blend / camouflage unattractive parts, or ideas to draw your eye to help with curb appeal. Landscaping is in the future, but first the house needs help.

Also, the porch roof or something about the weird choppy roof lines drives me crazy, any thoughts on possible ways to improve it? I would love to do something like with the house roofs with the white house or the blue house, but that might not work, or may be too much of an undertaking.

Maybe a pergola somehow could help?
I’m at a loss.
Please help! All ideas/ thoughts welcome!!
Thanks!

Comments (31)

• Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

Ah, yes, I suspected all along that any roof changes were mostly wishes and rainbows. Lol.

Painting the gables is something I hadn’t even thought of, thank you Beverly! Seeing as how we will be replacing the siding, when we do, would we just use a neutral siding color, similar to the shingles, to side there? I imagine with camouflaging it, the less noticeable, the better.

• Related Discussions

exterior siding/deck color to match Weathered Wood color shingle roof

Q

Comments (1)
    We have the same problem. I know you posted this a loooong time ago but I'm curious what you ended up doing>
    ...See More

Help with picking exterior colors - roof, siding, shutters

Q

Comments (13)
    We had a hailstorm last year and had to have our roof replaced. Where we live several houses were having their roofs replaced and our HOA calls for you to have the color “weathered wood”. We started noticing lots of roofs being replaced and the newer shingles are very speckled looking! a house that has a lot of variation in the brick can really look a little crazy if the roof is speckled also. I would just be really careful picking what looks like architectural shingles using sample pictures. If you call the roofing supplier or your roofer they should be able to give you addresses of the colors of shingles you’re interested in so you could actually drive to by that home and see the shingles on an actual home. We found it very helpful and the color “weather wood” is very different looking across different brands of roofing. We chose Malarkey brand their Legacy line in “Weathered Wood” color upgrading to the class 4 impact resistant shingles. you also might check with your insurance company because we paid a little extra to get the class 4 impact resistant shingle and we get a discount on our insurance. Just a few things I learned while picking Roofing last year!
    ...See More

Exterior - roof, windows, siding, trim

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you both! I’m not sure if the hip roof is in the budget, but i agree it would soften it, make it not stick out so much. An arbor may be more affordable but i think i would need to add a matching arbor somewhere else maybe over the window left of the porch to balance it. Yea, once the tree grows taller it will be ok but right now it blocks the entry. Thanks again for your input!
    ...See More

Need help with my exterior upgrade dilemmas--roof, siding, trim

Q

Comments (2)
    @Indecisiveness, sorry if unclear. First pic are color samples described in the message.
    ...See More
  • Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

And just noticed you added the window at the side of the front door (currently boarded-in with white because it was so badly broken) and changed the color under the bay window to match the house… you have a keen eye. Things we would like to do, for sure. Nice to see it though. Thank you for the help!

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year
    last modified: last year

What Beverly said.

Another inexpensive update desperately needed is a new much bigger support post for the porch roof. It looks like there’s a 2x4 wedged there temporarily now.

And don’t paint the bottom of the bay window a different color than the rest of the house.

• Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

Littlebug- Yes, indeed! I hadn’t realized how small that support post looks.

And agreed- under the bay window is bad. Like a mossy green over the beige of the house. Some of the trim is that green color, some is white, and some of it is dark brown, depending on the side of the house you’re on.

Any thoughts on new siding color, trim?

Thanks!

last year

As far as color - is the roof staying? Siding should coordinate with the roofing.

A strong color would be nice, if you like that. I like the red sample, as long as you don’t add cheesy cheap vinyl shutters. Double windows (like yours) should not have shutters.

• Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

The roof has to be replaced at least somewhat, so we’re not opposed to changing the color. The shingles never came out far enough, and theres damage on the wood. We did a temporary fix when we moved in, knowing it would have to be done properly later, and we could change the roof color then.

Almost all of the windows are broken with significant wooden frame damage, they will be replaced as well.

I wasn’t thinking shutters, but was considering a chunkier trim around the windows.

last year

Chunky trim is a good idea! Painted a different color from the house, it gives your house some character.

Sandi MC thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

Although it’s probably a terrible inclination, I love little houses with this kind of look. (Minus the window boxes).
    Now, with our house- and it’s significant design short-falls, not sure we could do anything like this blue house, might just make it more obviously awkward.

We wouldn’t be opposed to something that might make it look more modern, as well. But I don’t have the slightest idea what we could do there.

Any window recommendations?

• Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry- this blue house.

• Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

With that column looking so weird, we hadn’t realized it was because it was so small, but were thinking of adding a kinda ‘faux frame’ around the porch, so there was another fake column against the side of the house. Sort of like this pic, but not sure if that will help or not.
    (Will post after- can’t seem to post mid pics mid message.)

• jck910
    last year

Choose a roof color first. Usually a medium charcoal gray is versatile for then choosing siding colors. Lots on here love black for the roof but I find black top heavy and also it can make a house very hot in warm weather thus upping your cooling bills. I like the trim to match the windows so although I like the blue house you posted I don't care for the cream color trim with white windows. White trim with that blue would be beautiful.

GAF Shingles for color ideas

Birchwood

Slate Gray

Sandi MC thanked jck910
  • Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

Frame within porch with fake column kind of idea?

• Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

Jck910- Oh, i didn’t even notice the cream/white window/trim difference. Amazing the things slide right by me when it comes to design.

Although my phone display may be deceiving me, I think our shingles now are similar to the birchwood?
    Thank you for the black shingle advice. We’re in a colder climate, so we don’t have any cooling (yet- summers keep getting toastier) but like to keep the house from cooking in July/August. Of course, a black roof might be helpful with keeping the house warmer 9 months out of the year. Lol.

• housegal200
    last year

Go for the white house in the middle photo with black trimmed windows--very clean looking so it will minimize the roof lines. Add beefy wood pillar. Invest landscape design, including new walkway, which will add so much to the look of a simplified, white house.

Spruce House and ADU · More Info

Modern Farmhouse · More Info

• Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

Housegal -this look is definitely appealing… i see it and love it. For everyone except for me. Lol… oh white! Why can’t I keep anything white looking clean?
    Thanks for the idea. Much to think about. I bet my husband will like this one and want to go in this direction as well.

• housegal200
    last year

Well, why did you include a photo of a white house with black trim? The colored houses will require more careful roof choices--usually reddish brown goes best with red houses, which look better on smaller houses than yours. Ditto the bright blue. Start an idea book of houses that have multiple roof lines but are different colors.

The two photos I posted have multiple roof lines and here's another. The siding is going to be vinyl, so easily rinsed off. It'll go with the gray roof for now then it can be changed to black when you're ready for that. I like Beverly's idea of painting dormer same as roof. Honestly, with great landscaping and a substantial pillar, your house could look great in white and black.

Sandi MC thanked housegal200
  • Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

Ah, I see the confusion now, my bad Housegal, I posted the white house and blue house because I had fanciful notions of helping the roofline somewhat, and thought those rooflines, or something similar, might be inspiration for what I would prefer, if it were reasonable to do.
    The red house was for the siding color i keep coming back to.

Most of the houses i find with red siding using image searches, are quite a bit larger than mine. But I do worry this house will not benefit from red.

And as lovely as it looks on other houses, I just don’t think I can do white.
    We tried washing this vinyl, and it was a disaster. No small task.

But, if not white, and not red, I guess I will keep searching.

Anyone have any feelings about 2 tone houses?
    Will it distract from the flaws, or just make it worse?

Thanks for all the ideas!

• Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

Two tone ideas? Pros and cons?
    Here’s a pic of something that appeals.

last year

No, not on your house. You’re trying to minimize its complexity, not add to it.

Sandi MC thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • housegal200
    last year
    last modified: last year

To sum up:

--Except for a single, beefier pillar, do not even think about adding any structural elements to an already complicated façade. No porch "frames" "no pergolas" "no patchwork roofing". no shutters. Keep it simple.

--Pick house color and shingles colors together because your roof is quite visible. If you don't need a new roof, then the new vinyl color must harmonize with your gray roof. Note that the hardscaping in photo below is also gray--everything simple, everything echoing each other. The curved garden bed is extended and extends the look of the house.

--Do a Google search using house colors you do like with gray roofs. Make sure they have similar rooflines to yours.

Just keep it simple and not asking about adding this or that element that will only remuddle your house.

Sandi MC thanked housegal200
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

It's really a charming split level that needs new paint and some creative landscaping. Adding trim and some details around the windows will draw the eye away from any issues with the roof lines.

Sandi MC thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

Ooo, Charming might be a stretch. Lol. I would say awkward was being kind.
    Thanks for all the great input, everyone. I’m sure I’ll be back to pester you all some more, but before I let this rest for a bit, is there any free or relatively inexpensive software that you would recommend for a PC, that would help ‘try on’ different exteriors through photo manipulation?
    Thanks!

• A D
    last year

Here’s a paint visualizer

https://certapro.com/paint-color-ideas/

You’re getting great advice here.

Good luck with your project!

• Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you A D!

Yes, I am grateful for all the kind advice. So appreciated.
    Thanks everybody!!

• Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

Ok, I’m back. I’ve been trying some of the home visualizers… so far this gentek site i found easiest. Although, ‘easy’ isn’t the first word to come to mind. I’m like a six year old on etch-a-sketch. Lol. Please tell me there is an easier way to do trim than individually drawing each rectangular board. Or is that just the way it's done on freebee options?
    Anyway, all that aside, here are some attempts. I couldn’t come up with any red houses that I liked on our house, (so sad- must be my roof color?) but I don’t mind these 2 darker siding options. Marine dusk and super matte modern walnut.

Question about the trim along the eaves and roof… on the modern walnut I left the trim on the eaves white and on the angled roof changed it to gray. (Although it looks like shadow.) I didn’t like the look of white trim on the top of the gables on the roof. But I don’t mind the horizontal white trim along eaves.
    Thoughts on that? Bad idea? It’s probably bad, since it’s not simple. But not sure.. still like the added white along the eaves.

The other 2 pics, all the trim was left gray on the roof.
    I’m still not loving the lighter options, (Dover Gray is the one here) the darker siding seems to go better with this roof.

Width of the trim?

Other ideas I should try?

Window recommendations?
    Any and all feedback appreciated! Thanks! Your input has been a tremendous help.

last year

I like the last sample - looks like navy. That’s nice.

I don’t like the multicolored stone pillar sample as it looks obviously fake on your house. If you had a matching multicolored stone foundation, the pillar might be ok.

• Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for the feedback, Littlebug. Actually, the stone foundation is in the same navy photo. But our foundation is quite low, barely visible. I was thinking if we did a similar stone for landscaping a garden bed in front of the house, that might pull it in?
    Kind of like this pic, but this is a terrible angle.
    Or, perhaps doing the stone part way up the column and the rest as a white column?
    I’ll try different column ideas. 👍

• jck910
    last year

I too like the last choice. Because there is only 1 pillar, I would beef it up and paint it to match the trim. I don't think you want to build up around the foundation. Ot might create a water issue

• Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last year

Hmmm, what if we just built it up a little… and made sure it had good drainage. I was actually hoping it might help with water near the foundation. Allowing for the ground to slope away from the house better. As it stands, the ground slopes slightly back to the foundation in a few spots, which is a concern when we get heavy rains that overflow the eavestrough.

I haven’t had a chance to try the column ideas yet. But did want to post this pic of another house in our area with the same design. There’s a bunch, actually. But of all the others, I think this one is the most appealing. I’m just not sure why. Some of the elements of the exterior design are in contrast to what’s advised, but seem ok here.
    (As in better than my house, but possibly not the beat option still.)
    Curious what elements everyone thinks work for this house.
    Thanks for the feedback, trying to learn. It’s befuddling when you know something appeals or doesn’t, but don’t have the wherewithal to figure out why that is.

• Sandi MC
    Original Author
    last month

We’ve added the windows!
    Deep Ocean Hardie siding with deep ocean corner trims and no window trim is next.
    Also, iron gray straight hardie shake in the gables, to blend them with the roof.
    Any ideas for soffit fascia color?
    Have to decide this weekend.
    Was thinking an iron gray color in the gables? Bad idea? Maybe white for the rest?
    Thanks for your thoughts!