SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alwayslearning2244

Are these guys giving me the run-around? Roofing explanation needed.

I had my roof replaced recently. It was a super frustrating experience, but I will try to keep focused on my primary question. I hired them to replace the whole roof, HOWEVER, the reason we were doing so was because of a very specific interior problem. Basically when it rains, the top portion of the vaulted wood ceiling darkens and drops grit on the surfaces below. The on-site roofers did nothing to the plywood in this section, and I later learned were not aware of the problem section at all. For background, all shingle layers were removed but the tar paper was not. No one on-site spoke English.

The only section that had any plywood replaced is circled in red, however the problem section (green) is actually quite far away and much higher than the section that was replaced. How could the higher plywood not be faulty? The roofing company keeps saying water can run along the beams but that it never runs up. I don't understand how that explains this scenario. If it doesn't run up, then how was the water getting in to my problem section, which is ~6-8 ft on a sharp diagonal upwards? Grit has still dropped since the replacement. I have purchased a 10-ft ladder since the install and while I thought the wood was literally dirty, it is not, it is mold. It seems to me that if I had someone take the whole ceiling down, that the plywood would be moldy underneath. This is why we had the roof done, so we could see underneath and have what needed to be replaced, replaced! The roofers were supposed to investigate this and I am quite upset that they didn't. Am I missing something understanding-wise?

Every time I ask about it, I get a roundabout answer that makes no sense. This company has been dishonest about several things, and it feels like they're being slippery here too. Are they? Thoughts?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville