SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lettersatoz

Favorite musical artist?

lettersatoz
last year
last modified: last year

Someone asked me in another thread who my favorite musical artist is, when I mentioned I had one. So as not to derail that thread, and because I think it would be fun to know others' faves, I thought I would start a new one.

I am a HUGE fan of music, and my tastes are probably more diverse than most. I have created workout play lists with tempos to match what I'm doing and if you saw some of the types of music included, you would probably shake your head in confusion. I made one for a 16 hour car trip I took once too, trying to match songs to the areas we'd be driving through. As a 57 year old, I will go to my grave defending the 80's as the best musical decade, though there's also lots to love from the 70's and 90's, as well as older stuff and current stuff. I favor rock and pop, but I even have a classical music station in my car's presets for those moments I'm stuck in horrid traffic and need to calm my nerves. In the late 70's, during the classic rock vs. disco wars, I fell squarely in the middle, enjoying both. I've never followed country music much, though current country may be changing my mind a little.

Anyway.....my very favorite artist is Phil Collins, from his early Genesis stuff through his 80's pop, a little lesser so his 90's stuff, all the way up to his Big Band project, which most people don't even know about. I all but bore a hole into my Three Sides Live album back in the day and as I mentioned in the other thread, no other artist's music can take me back to exact moments in time like his can. As a kid, I played the drums for a short time, so maybe I just favor drummers. There are many youtube clips of him and Chester Thompson (who took over as Genesis' drummer when Phil took over lead vocals) in a drum duet, but this one is one of my faves - so fun to watch! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAivMqtDJfU

So.....who is your favorite, if you have one?

(it should go without saying, but, tastes differ and that's a good thing - please try not to criticize others' choices.)

Comments (46)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Sorry, no favorites here. I like so many kinds of music and different kinds of music speak to me in different ways at different times. Probably my favorite music is anything with close harmony...I still remember my brother and I listening to the Andrew Sisters on our old hi-fi when we were in elementary school. But acapella groups, CSNY, Simon and Garfunkle, gregorian chants, the Brothers Cazimero (hawaiian) and even, yes. barbershop quartets, there's something about voices coming together like that that send my socks rolling up and down.

As a teen I was into classical music...Beethoven's darkness spoke to my teen angst while Bach's fugues, inventions and other pieces tweaked my logical brain while it traced and followed the intertwining melodies and themes. Renaissance music was a favorite as I used to play in a recorder group as a teen.

I grew up being a Beatle maniac so all of their songs strike chords in my heart, but I've always secretly wanted to be Diana Krall, easily singing while tickling the ivories in that mellow jazzy way. (I went to see her in concert and the smoke machine they had running to create "atmosphere" set off the venue's fire alarm!!)

And speaking of jazz, there is also a corner of my heart that is forever intrigued by Rhapsody in Blue which I think is one of the best and most creative pieces of music ever written. I enjoy so much Gershwin music and was always so sorry he passed so young.

lettersatoz thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Related Discussions

Favorite Music?

Q

Comments (94)
    My #1 favorite is black gospel. Anyone else familiar w/ Gospel at Colonus? I haven't heard kd lang for a few years now, but she had one of the best voices around, when you're talking pure vocal talent. Did anyone see her on the Grammys awhile back when she did Roy Orbison's "Crying"? Blew the roof off. As for Brokeback (Keith, rest in peace), my theory - a lot of straight guys are comforted by Queer Eye, etc. and uneasy about Brokeback because (shudder) in the movie, YOU CAN'T TELL BY LOOKING if a guy's gay. If that guy's gay and looks like a "regular" guy, and EYE look like a regular guy..... well, we gotta keep that trash away from the young people. :) DH is in an original heavy rock/light metal band and also in a rock cover band, so I hear loads of that music and like lots of it. qylliam - The Chieftans - are you talking about the Irish group? I got to hear them one time in concert. They were great. Anyone else familiar w/ Sweet Honey in the Rock? A capella group that does original music, black gospel, reggae, etc. Arthur, many of the band names are new to me, too. What genre is Cake? "Classic" country is terrific - Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline - rarely the crossover stuff. Some bluegrass. Shady Character - who does Bollywood *style*? I gotta hear these people. :) Whitecat8
    ...See More

Favorite mowing music

Q

Comments (10)
    I sometimes listen to music when my wife mows. Does that count? My Pandora account is all over the place too. Does that LED Zeppelin sound as good as the old Incandescent Zeppelin? :)
    ...See More

Do you have a favorite Christmas music album?

Q

Comments (27)
    Amicus, you named all the classics I recall. And yes, my brothers and I wore out the Andy Williams albums. I took my Michael Bublé to my mom, we listen to it when I have lunch with her. It has no jarring shifts and is easy to sing along to, so she seems to like it. At our little local tree lot the other day, the owner was playing a John Denver Christmas Album. Must have been a later one because his voice sounded so mellow. I really liked it, and now I have to look for it.
    ...See More

Cindy Williams died, age 75

Q

Comments (19)
    " Isn't that a tad of an exaggeration? " Yes, and I used those words hesitantly, but in the end decided it would help make my point. And it sounds like you get my point, so I'll leave it at that. Again, it would be wrong to compare your post with arcy's, they're not at all the same, I just feel that these types of threads should be for those who want to commiserate with others on the loss of a talent. I know that I have a very favorite musical artist and when he passes, I will be profoundly sad, even though I don't know him and never met him. And that is actually not an exaggeration - no other musician's songs can take me back to exact moments in time like his can - I've been a huge fan for forever. Others don't share my admiration and I realize some actually turn the station when they hear his voice. That's fine. But if I express my sadness, Lord help the person who chooses that moment to criticize him - haha. Kidding. Sort of. As far as controversial figures like Jerry Lee Lewis, well, I get that. As a child of the 80s, I'm still mad that I can no longer fully enjoy Michael Jackson's music without wincing a little. I think they're fair game. To throw darts at Shirly Feeney though.....not nice.
    ...See More
  • sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    last year

80s music is special but I like some of everything. What I listen to most--Jimi Jamison and Survivor and Huey Lewis and the News.

lettersatoz thanked sweet_betsy No AL Z7
  • arcy_gw
    last year

I would be surprised if having ecclectic music taste is yours alone. In order to answer your question I would need smaller paramaters--so I guess I am in the group of too many to choose just one!! Different times, different events, different purposes all frame my favorites.

• User
    last year

I don’t think I have a favourite musical artist. I definitely have favourite songs that either get me bebopping around or bring back memories that make me both laugh and cry.

Right now, I’m loving most stuff by Harry Styles.

lettersatoz thanked User
  • lettersatoz
    Original Author
    last year

^ He's so cute, isn't he?

And Bookwoman, big thumbs up to the Beatles! I sort of thought Annie might say that since I feel like she's quick to come up with a Beatles tune for almost every category Lars comes up with on the weekends. Always look forward to that.

• Uptown Gal
    last year

Don't really have a great favorite...I love music and have it going all day. Just

depends on the mood I'm in for the day, I guess. Mostly the old ones.... Never fail with Elton John, Billy

Joel or Paul McCartney, Bon Jovi, Rod Stewart and on and on. Yesterday was a jazz

day for me, and I had Charlie Parker playing yesterday a lot. And like Winton Marsalis.

....Michael Buble singing "Home" gets me....Lucas Graham had

a couple that I loved...yeah...on and on, I guess. Don't like Hip Hop or some of

the "teens" favorites, and not much Country..but will always stop and listen to

Fleet Wood Mac and Elvis if I hear it playing.

lettersatoz thanked Uptown Gal
  • nicole___
    last year

Right now: Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Tones, Pink...

Fun songs with a beat.... I do like older rock songs...Mick Jagger/Charmed Life

lettersatoz thanked nicole___
  • ladypat1
    last year

Uptown Gal: Michael Buble's Home really gets to me too! Not one favorite, but a few. Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Hall and Oates, and Stones. Many are broken up, retired, or dead. Except Keith Richards of course. LOL

lettersatoz thanked ladypat1
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Too many to list 😃

lettersatoz thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Lars
    last year

My favorite is Nina Hagen, and I got to meet her in San Francisco in 1982. A friend took pictures of us, but I don't know what I did with them. She autographed albums for my brother and me, and for my brother, she wrote "Hallo Brother!" Her handwriting is rather strange. I also gave her a book as a present.

lettersatoz thanked Lars
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

Oh there are so many and from a variety of genres. Otis Redding, Van Morrison, Stones, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Journey, Boston, Willie Nelson, Sheryl Crow, Chris Stapleton, Allison Krauss, Emmy Lou Harris, Andrea Bocelli.

I'm sure I’ve left some out.

lettersatoz thanked OutsidePlaying
  • faftris
    last year

No contest--Elton John. And when he has Ray Cooper with him, heaven on earth! I've seen him live about 10 times. In September, we went to his farewell tour, and he was as wonderful as ever. He doesn't stop to take a breath!

lettersatoz thanked faftris
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

I don't have a favorite. I am a child of the 60's and 70's so my genre of choice is classic rock and roll but no particular artist. Don't care much for country or jazz but I do like blues! And classical music of all types.

lettersatoz thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • LynnNM
    last year

Every time I hear a Johnny Rivers song (Summer Rain, Swayin’ to the Music, Secret Agent Man, Poor Side of Town, etc ) I am just blown away by his beautiful voice.

Other favs: Johnny Mathis, John Denver, and Phil Collins.

lettersatoz thanked LynnNM
  • nickel_kg
    last year

If I had to choose one and only one, I'd go with David Bowie. He's been among my favorites since I was twelve, finally old enough to discover my own music. I loved how Bowie changed over his career, how he could turn on his popularity with mass-appealing songs, then deliberately release an album with a totally different sound: "Ch-ch-ch-changes" indeed! From his earlier songs to his last masterwork, his music reaches me.

lettersatoz thanked nickel_kg
  • lily316
    last year

I love most all the music from the 60s, the very best decade for music ever. I also like the 70s and beyond that not much. I love the Beatles, Simon, and Garfunkel, the Stones, Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, ABBA, The Eagles, Boston, Chicago, and I am sure many more. from that period. I do not like today's music and, I dislike rap intensely. In my opinion, rock died in the late 60s and early 70s.

lettersatoz thanked lily316
  • woodrose
    last year

Liking so many artists, and so many genres from classic to country makes it hard to choose. If I had to choose a favorite artist it would have to be Don Williams; I can listen to him sing anything. My favorite group would be the Eagles; so much talent in one group of people.

lily316, I agree !

lettersatoz thanked woodrose
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

For most of us, as regards popular music, I think personal preferences are hugely influenced by peers, time and place. When it was, where we were and what were current trends were going on when we started to pay attention to popular music. What were our peers listening to, what styles were popular and which artists prominent in the media. What was heard on the radio.

For me, that was SoCal in the 60s-70s. Groups who lived and hung out in Laurel Canyon (as has been popularized by a few films and books), played on the Sunset Strip and venues elsewhere in the area. Surf music. National trends (like the British Invasion but not so much Motown). And what was happening in San Francisco with groups nurtured by Bill Graham - Jefferson Airplane foremost among them but many, many others, like Credence, Quicksilver, Santana but not the Dead.

I count too many groups whose music I've listened to for 6 decades now to pick a favorite. So, my answer is - None of them is but all of them are my favorite.

lettersatoz thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Lars
    last year

It was difficult for me to find peers who had the same taste in music that I had, and I think I have bucked peer pressure for most of my life. I know what I like, and it has nothing to do with what anyone else likes. In the 1970s, I made my own clothes or bought vintage clothes because I did not like 70s fashion. According to my marketing professor, this puts me in the "3% fringe" of society, as he called it.

I was always happy to find people who had similar tastes to mine, and that was reasonably easy in San Francisco, but also in Vancouver, which is one of the reasons I liked going there.

In the 1960s, I had pen pals in UK and Australia who would mail records to me, and I would pay them or exchange records that they wanted.

lettersatoz thanked Lars
  • Elizabeth
    last year

Depends on the day who I would say I like best. Lately it is Willie Nelson

lettersatoz thanked Elizabeth
  • blfenton
    last year

Automatic reaction is Neil Diamond. Haven't seen him mention so I guess I'm alone in that.

lettersatoz thanked blfenton
  • User
    last year

Oh blfenton! Hands down, Neil Diamond’s Sweet Caroline has to be one of the most fun group sing-a-long!

• salonva
    last year

As I read through the replies, I shake my head yes and smile to 95% of those mentioned. I also have a hard time limiting to one, but if I HAD to say one then of course it would be the Beatles. And if I had to pick a Beatle, it would be Sir Paul.

But but I do love and enjoy and appreciate so many others.

lettersatoz thanked salonva
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

For classic rock I probably like the following the most in no particular order...The Beatles, The Eagles, Queen , CCR, Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers, Tom Petty, and I'm sure I left out several. For contemporary I prefer country music. I also like a lot of classic country music. I don't care at all for what the current crowd of whatever they call this genre turns out.

lettersatoz thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • dedtired
    last year

Ricky Nelson, always and forever. Sigh.

lettersatoz thanked dedtired
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

Bill Withers. Not too often mentioned, but I'm a big fan.

Also Billy Joel, Quincy Jones, Neil Diamond, and George Benson (more as a singer than songwriter).

lettersatoz thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    last year

Eclectic here, pretty fond of Iris De Ment, Bob Dylan, the Eagles, the Band, and Peter Oustroushko.

lettersatoz thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • chinacatpeekin
    last year

The first time I saw the Grateful Dead live in ‘72, my life changed forever and it never changed back. I am fortunate to have seen them several hundred times, and all these years after the death of Garcia in ‘95, I still have a great circle of friends (that included my late husband) met through our shared love of the music. We are all still Deadheads! Other huge favorites are Patti Smith, Tom Petty, all the many Dead-related and adjacent bands, and lots of others from the ‘60s and ‘70s, many of whom I was lucky to see live during that time: The Beatles, The Byrds, Dylan, Joan Baez, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, Springsteen, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, The Lovin’Spoonful, The Allman Brothers, Jefferson Airplane, Santana, Van Morrison, Linda Ronstadt, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Brown, Paul Simon, and so many others. I grew up in the Bay Area; we were so lucky to have Bill Graham as our local impresario. In my early twenties I worked at a rock club in Huntington Beach and got to see all the performers who came through that tiny venue.

lettersatoz thanked chinacatpeekin
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

Bennie Goodman and David Lindley. Jimmy Buffet gets an honorable mention.

lettersatoz thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • samkarenorkaren
    last year

Being your resident dj I have to say the 70s music. Top 2 for me are ABBA and the Eagles.

lettersatoz thanked samkarenorkaren
  • bpath
    last year

Singer-songwriters. Jim Croce. Gerry Rafferty. Carole King, Billy Joel. Art Garfunkle. Jim Brickman. Also the Eagles, Boston, Cass Elliott, Karen Carpenter. I love heart in songs. and for fun, I drove my son and friends to a Jonathan Coulton concert in middle or high school, so why not go myself? I thoroughly enjoyed it (so did Peter Sagal, who I think had also brought a kid to the show).

lettersatoz thanked bpath
  • sleeperblues
    last year

Alternative rock is pretty much the only thing I listen to. Sirius xmu or alt nation, but I also listen to channel 33 which is new wave from the 80s. Bands like Depeche Mode, New Order, Blondie, Frankie goes to Hollywood. But I love fresh, new stuff. Bands like Automatic and Bon Iver and the National. My favorite band as an adult was a Scottish band named Frightened Rabbit, who unfortunately no longer exists after the suicide of it's lead singer, who wrote the most soul shattering songs. Woke Up Hurting just tore me apart.

I was raised on classical music, though, which was the only thing my parents listened to and to which we were subject to for years in the car and always on the radio in the kitchen. I couldn't tell you the names of what I was hearing, but I knew it all. As an adult, my mom would take my sisters and myself to the opera at Lyric Opera in Chicago 4 times a year. We tried to go after she passed but it was too painful to be there without our mom. There were many times I would hear familiar music without having known it came from that opera.

lettersatoz thanked sleeperblues
  • salonva
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Interesting how new posters are so apt at posting on older threads.

I do like Ed Sheeran, but not my favorite of all time.

How about you , @sushipup2? What do you think?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 months ago

35 posts before someone mentioned classical music!

• Jupidupi
    9 months ago

I'm a HUGE Beatles fan and of course love a lot of bands from the '60s and '70s. I'm surprised at how many lyrics pop into my brain when I hear the songs. I also like blues and jazz. If I had to pick one single favorite musician, it would probably be Thelonius Monk.

• Fran
    9 months ago

Another vote for Elton John here and the Beatles. I enjoy all kinds of music though depending on my mood, Blues, jazz, classical (especially Baroque), classic rock, and classic country in small doses. I still own my original Abbey Road album. Unfortunately the cd player on my Bose radio has stopped working so I can't play my old CDs. I used to play them in the car but my new car doesn't have a cd player. Guess I'll have to buy one. Can't get the hang of streaming.

• Kathsgrdn
    9 months ago

Too many to name. I like old rock and pop the most. Also like some older country more than new country but can listen to some of it. I like some new pop too but not much of it. Also like some folk music, older stuff from the 50s and super old country, like Patsy Cline. I grew up with that stuff because that was my parents' favorite type of music to listen to.

I have a wide range of music on my new Spotify playlist for my upcoming trip. I need to work on it some more. One of my friends is bringing classical music that I told her would put me to sleep so I guess I'll be napping when she is driving and playing that stuff. I think I would like a classical music show, in person, though. Weird, I know. Kind of like watching baseball in person or on tv. Big difference.

My daughter loves show tunes and I find it annoying when driving in a car. Watching a musical, that's okay with me but I don't want to listen to it while driving. She loves the Mamma Mia musical and plays the soundtrack all the time, I prefer to listen to Abba. The classical music friend hates Abba so I didn't put any of their songs on my playlist. lol. She loves Bob Dylan, I don't, but I have a song that was written about him on my list. ( :

I have a lot of fun pop from my childhood and some hard rock from my preteen and teenage years on the list. It was fun finding old, long forgotten songs I used to listen to.

• lily316
    9 months ago

I already listed mine five months ago...mostly all 60s and early 70s but recently I added a new one since my Pandora plays it almost every day on my Airbuds. That group is Bread.

• HU-929826674
    8 months ago

Absolute favorite is Luciano Pavarotti. When he died, I was sad for days. Close runner-up is Mavis Staples. That lady can sing, and her guitarist Ricky is fabulous.

• honibaker
    8 months ago

Jimi Hendrix and Bonnie Rait are two favorites, but I love many artists.

• Judy Good
    8 months ago

James Taylor

• frankginakay
    8 months ago

Morgan Wallen.....

• kevin9408
    8 months ago

I never had a favorite all time artist and don't remember idolizing any any, but had countless of favorite songs over the decades. My first favorite I remember was the "happy birthday song by Casey jones" and "flying purple people eater" as a little kid, and brings back the most enjoyable memories.

If I had to pick favorite songs with an artist behind them through the chapters of my life it would be to many to list. But Right there is a favorite I kind of idolize and is Benedetta Caretta, an Italian singer who has an incredible voice with perfect tone and totally mesmerizing to me even in Italian, with no memories associated to her so far. She sings covers in English and originals in Italian, could she be my first favorite artist? She is like listening to classic music while doing yard work and they both feel good. By gosh I think she is my first! I'm in love.... Tom Mcdonald could be my male idol now but all the way back to kindergarten it has to be Casey Jones happy birthday song. I love you too Casey.

• Joan Soles
    8 months ago

Kevin, are you from Minnesota? We used to watch Casey and Roundhouse every chance we got.

I think Randy Travis is one of my all-time favoirte singers.

• Jasdip
    8 months ago

Country is my favourite genre; but not today's country. Reba, Brooks and Dunn, Dwight, George Strait, Alan Jackson, Wynona, etc etc. And the 80's artists, Restless Heart, Sawyer Brown, Keith Whitley. I love love Darius Rucker who used to be in Hootie and the Blowfish. He nails country.

I love love Engelbert, and I listen to smooth jazz as well.