SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Cindy Williams died, age 75

Cindy Williams, the dynamic actress known best for playing the bubbly Shirley Feeney on the beloved sitcom “Laverne & Shirley,” has died, according to a statement from her family, provided to CNN by a representative. She was 75.

Williams died after a short illness, said the statement from her children Zak and Emily Hudson, provided to CNN by family spokesperson and Williams’ personal assistant Liz Cranis.

“The passing of our kind, hilarious mother, Cindy Williams, has brought us insurmountable sadness that could never truly be expressed,” their statement read. “Knowing and loving her has been our joy and privilege. She was one of a kind, beautiful, generous and possessed a brilliant sense of humor and a glittering spirit that everyone loved.”

Comments (19)

• Uptown Gal
    last year
    last modified: last year

RIP Cindy...you gave lots of chuckles and a song that was hard to remove from

our thoughts!!! Long time ago now, it seems. Hope she and Penny have

mended all their fences by now and are smiling at each other.

• nickel_kg
    last year

I always enjoyed that show -- RIP Cindy and condolences to her family, friends, and fans.

• arcy_gw
    last year

One hit wonder..it must be a terrible blow to dream of stardom and do sooo well with a character, so well you become iconic then realize that's where it ends, all because you did so well.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

arcy, considering IMDB numbers her tv show and movie credits at 84, from the 1970s through 2020, I'd hardly call her a "one hit wonder". https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0930286/fullcredits

I do wish sometime we could see a post from you that didn't include a judgment or critique of others. Try it, you might like it.

(At least this last post didn't include any CAPS.)

• Bookwoman
    last year

I remember her most from her role in The Conversation, one of the great films of the 1970s.

• eld6161
    last year

Very sad.

• WittyNickNameHere ;)
    last year

I downloaded an app onto my Firestick to watch every and any show that's ever been on tv. Well, most every and any show. Just Thursday, I saved Laverne and Shirley to rewatch later.

• Suzieque
    last year
    last modified: last year

From Celebritynetworth.com:

Cindy Williams was an American actress who had a net worth of $10 million at the time of her death. Cindy Williams died on January 25, 2023 at the age of 75. Cindy Williams was best known for her role as Shirley Feeney on the ABC sitcom "Happy Days," and its spinoff, "Laverne & Shirley." She also had major roles on the short-lived sitcoms "Normal Life" and "Getting By," and has appeared in a number of television films. On the big screen, Williams was in movies including "American Graffiti," "The Conversation," "Big Man on Campus," and "Meet Wally Sparks."

• Uptown Gal
    last year

Thank You Annie Deighnaugh.....I go right by her (his? it?) postings most of the time now).

But, I do feel sorry for the writer..must have a sad life.

• dedtired
    last year

Some celebrity deaths hit you harder than others and this one really affected me. I always enjoy Laverne and Shirley of course, but my strongest memory of her is from American Graffiti. She’s really kind of been with me through most of my life so I will miss her. Rest in peace, Cindy.

• lily316
    last year

This made me sad. I adored Laverne and Shirley and the male cohorts on that iconic show. Brings back so many memories. Cindy, you were a treasure.

• chloebud
    last year

Very sad and unexpected. My intro to her was American Graffiti.

• Lars
    last year

Some of my best friends and roommates in San Francisco were from Milwaukee, and I loved watching Laverne & Shirley with them, but I would have loved it anyway.

Seventy-five seems too young, but Penny Marshall also died at 75.

This was especially sad news for me to hear on CBS this morning, but I also read that Cindy died on Jan 25, and so I'm wondering why it took so long to become public.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

I agree with the observation about the nature of a person's comments mentioned above, being sometimes extreme rather than simply different, but I think there's a valid observation to be made. Williams' career really peaked with Laverne and Shirley and fell off afterweards. She had scattered roles in subsequent years but nothing as significant nor successful. Maybe that was by choice, she became a mother in the early 80s. Having a decline in success as years pass is not an unusual tale in most corners of the entertainment world (and in many other occupational endeavors too). To point that out is factual in my view, not a personal criticism.

• lettersatoz
    last year

^ Ok, but.....if this is a thread where people are coming to mourn the loss of someone who brought them joy -- in whatever fashion and for whatever reason -- why would someone feel it necessary to add to the thread with something (anything) less than complimentary? I do distinguish your post from the former one, but I still wonder why it's necessary. Yes, I get the concept of free speech, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. Give people their space to express sadness or disappointment without making them feel the need to defend their tastes. While you may (or may not, I have no idea) be factually correct, you won't win any prizes for it, and you may look less than gracious here, to the people you spend time hanging out with, virtually. Give them a minute to grieve.

• salonva
    last year

Ok... I ddidn't really watch the shows all that much but I certainly recognize that as I say, "the rest of the world" did big time and they were extremely popular. I didn't realize ( or likely I forgot) that she was in American Grafitti.

I also thought 75 is just too young.

I am all for voicing opinions, but really , the way someone says something carries a lot more weight than the actual words. To me, one hit wonder is a derogatory phrase. After reading the IMDB write up, that doesn't describe her anyway.

I don't like piling on but that comment was just so OFF.

I can't imagine thinking like that, let alone posting that.

Sad,

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

Fair comments, what has attracted words in response were comments that for sure were "off" and with too sharp a point. At the same time, I don't see remarks on the death of an entertainment figure in a public and anonymous forum to be those directed to people in "mourning" either. Isn't that a tad of an exaggeration?

I remember a few months ago when Jerry Lee Lewis died, my reaction was "It's good that there's one less child molester roaming the Earth". I may have said something like that, unfiltered, in the thread that was discussing his death. That was perhaps a more extreme situation to this.

• lettersatoz
    last year

" Isn't that a tad of an exaggeration? "

Yes, and I used those words hesitantly, but in the end decided it would help make my point. And it sounds like you get my point, so I'll leave it at that. Again, it would be wrong to compare your post with arcy's, they're not at all the same, I just feel that these types of threads should be for those who want to commiserate with others on the loss of a talent.

I know that I have a very favorite musical artist and when he passes, I will be profoundly sad, even though I don't know him and never met him. And that is actually not an exaggeration - no other musician's songs can take me back to exact moments in time like his can - I've been a huge fan for forever. Others don't share my admiration and I realize some actually turn the station when they hear his voice. That's fine. But if I express my sadness, Lord help the person who chooses that moment to criticize him - haha. Kidding. Sort of.

As far as controversial figures like Jerry Lee Lewis, well, I get that. As a child of the 80s, I'm still mad that I can no longer fully enjoy Michael Jackson's music without wincing a little. I think they're fair game. To throw darts at Shirly Feeney though.....not nice.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

My music preferences kept me from ever becoming a fan of the Jacksons or, later, Michael. I disliked their music and, based on nothing specific other than his outward appearance, always found him odd and not likeable.

I'm curious, lettersatoz. Who's your favorite musical artist?

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida