SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_618897318

kitchen floor help (asbestos)

Chris H
last year

Hello. We have wood floors in our kitchen that prior owners put over linoleum. We also have wood floors in the whole house that are not over another floor. This makes the kitchen floor slightly higher at the entrances to the kitchen (there are three) and that bugs me. We are updating the kitchen and planned to remove both the wood and floor underneath in the kitchen and then re lay new wood floors. Unfortunately we found out yesterday that the linoleum is likely asbestos (ugh). We could just sand and stain/reseal the current wood floors in the kitchen but there are several areas of damaged floor. We are going to reach out to an abatement company tomorrow. No clue the cost yet so I’m wondering what our other options are for flooring? If I’m not mistaken we can still cover the linoleum? Certainly we will make sure first but supposing we can, what options are there to keep flush with the entrances (one from the dining room, front entrance hall, and living room). I’ve included pictures of one entrance that all three look like in terms of transition. My husband also wonders why the kitchen floor is so high when the linoleum is so thin. So even if we do have it removed we don’t know yet if wood floors would sit flush. Some details that might be helpful: it is a colonial from the 60’s with no issues in terms of settling (the floors don’t appear to be uneven like they’d be in a historic home), we are doing this ourselves (aside from asbestos), home is located in a middle-upper middle class neighborhood (not sure if this would make a difference in terms of who would be potential future buyers should we sell - that’s just why I’ve included it here), we have a child, cat, and plan to get a dog in the future (a big one).

Comments (9)