SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahren_osterbrink

Walk in closet questions - is 72"x61" too small? Design ideas?

ahreno
last year

Im an amateur. I built a 2700sqft 4 bedroom house. Basically have master bedroom, a big "kids" room with a smallish walkin and then a Guest room that was going to just have a normal shelf/pole closet. well we had a second kid and now that guest bedroom needs to become our 10 year olds room so the four year old can have the kids room. yay.

Theres a hallway that runs the length of the room to a wire/linen closest and second entrance to the 4th bedroom/office. its just used to store junk & vacuums and would work out real nice to make a small walk in closet instead but i think it's bordering too small. Google just wants to sell me stuff so i'm here asking for guidance.

Floor plan section we are dealing with:

Simplified version:

white gaps are walls and also black lines are walls. Basically the wire closet creates a bump out in the bedroom that was going to be eaten up by a normal shelf and pole closet running "left to right" on the "bottom" wall of the room. Instead, I want to frame in going "up" from the bump out. the closest has an opening to the great room that limits how far "up" i can go on the hallway side

To maximize the most space, i could frame in all the way back to the wire closet opening. it would make the walkin a bit wonky shaped, but i think i could build in some 41" wide drawers there or something. it would leave me something like this (I can't promise this is exact to scale but good enough).

My design questions would be...

1. door - sliding barn door to maximize space inside?

2. door location - probably not as drawing. maybe as far "down" the new wall as possible so the "up" wall could be all used for poles and shelves?

The other option would be to just do a simple square closet. I assume this is the lesser of the two options but figured i'd post since i'm rambling anyway.

Comments (27)