SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susantaylorbrown

Walk-in closet, narrow? Clothes on just one side? Pictures?

We are working up ideas for the first phase renovations in our new fixer-upper. The master has a very wide reach-in closet that is 28" deep. We are moving the opening to the room so we will have room to possibly (if this is a workable idea) make this a long walk-in closet by bumping out the depth from 28" to about 48". We would walk in at the short end and clothes would hang on just one side. There is already electricity right there so it would be easy to run lights the length of the space.

I can't find any pictures to show hubby and designer what I mean but this would work, right?

I am not sure if I want the entrance to the closet just through the master bathroom or not but am open with that idea.

Comments (49)

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I think it will be too narrow. You'd want at least 30" of walking space and 24" of hanging space.

That said, if the space was 48" deep and 14.5 feet wide, you could do two walk in closets coming out of your bedroom, each 7 feet wide and 4 feet deep, with clothes hanging on each side, for a total of 16 feet of hanging space. Each would need a light but this shouldn't be a huge problem.

• Delilah66
    9 years ago

I agree it will be too narrow. I "walled" off a similar length (20 ft) and width (4 ft) of a room using floor to (almost) ceiling bookcases to make a storage area. It works for my purposes, but wouldn't be my choice if I were constructing a permanent closet.

• Related Discussions

Master Suite Design - Built-in wardrobe vs Walk-in closet

Q

Comments (42)
    I totally agree with cpartist. You are really limiting yourself by staying in the footprint you made for yourself. Considering the investment you will make in the addition, I would want to do everything I could to make this room and possibly the laundry room/office work. I would also think about landscaping. Maybe your bedroom doesnt look to the patio because you move it to the back of the house, but you have succulents and cacti planted in front of the bedroom windows for a beautiful view. I'd start over with a fresh piece of paper and think about every option. I say this because I am doing a master suite addition to my house. I put a lot of thought into what I wanted. The people on this board also really helped me and I hired an architect. We came up with a great plan and will be starting this week on the project.
    ...See More

Is 4' Too Skinny for a one side walk in closet?

Q

Comments (25)
    How about this... This is similar to one of my favorite homes, actually my first home and I loved it. It has influenced my opinion of every home since. It moves the dressing area vanity nearer to closet and out of the steamy and sometimes offensive bathroom. You can close off the pocket door between the bedroom and the dressing area to have a self contained area for getting dressed that isn't dressing in the bathroom that you just finished showering in. The vanity is actually larger than the one you currently have drawn in your bath but only has one sink since you have a second sink in the bathroom. You can obviously put in two or you can do a desk area if you prefer to sit. The bathroom vanity just serves as a hand washing station and storage for towels and other bath and shower staples. With this plan there really is no need for a second entrance to the closet, but you can stick one in if you want.
    ...See More

design modern narrow closet help

Q

Comments (0)
    Have leverage of 15 3/4 width to come out from wall on each side. closet is 61 narrow width across. 183 long. BUT cuts of on one side on right. 143 long. The cubby hole, on right. 37 inches. 102 back wall across. Love to put my antique coats. Like in a rolling glass white shiny finish. Need drawer and hanging space without to much on right side. White shiny and need ideas. Closet just painted chalk white today. Clothes, nice clothes on bed. I'm stumped. Gina Brown
    ...See More

UPDATE: Long narrow closet dilemma

Q

Comments (19)
    I do think some of this has to do with your expectations for closet space, too. I think of Patricia's comment that a narrow aisle isn't enough space to choose your clothes--but I don't spend any time in my closet trying things out or even looking at them carefully. They just get plucked off the rack and taken right back out; there's a mirror and room to change in the bedroom. If you prefer having room in the closet to do that, this is not that closet (nor, really, is a 5' wide closet, IMO). My in-laws have, coincidentally, almost the same size and configuration of space that we do and renovated it 25 years ago, reallocating the space between their 1960s-era master bath and closet. They opted to do a 6' wide walk-in closet with a mirror and changing space and a 5.5' wide bath. (We split ours 4'/7.5'.) The tradeoff was that they could only fit a 30" x 30" shower and had to do a bumpout for the vanity to have room (not an option for our home). They felt those were worthwhile tradeoffs, but we made different decisions for our space. It really comes down to what works best for you.
    ...See More
  • mattypies
    9 years ago

I just built a walk in closet that is 5ft wide and I really wouldn't want it any smaller. I too thought it wouldn't be a big deal to have it more narrow when in the design phase. Glad I listened to garden web. I think 5 ft wide is the smallest you should go.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's what I was thinking. Although you lose quite a bit of floor space (almost 30 square feet) to gain only 2 linear feet of hanging space. That's the disadvantage of a walkin. But the nice thing is, you get separate closets, for which I desperately pine.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

By depth, do you mean width? It's 28" inches wide? even 48" is much too narrow for a closet.

Can you knock out the wall between the closet and MB, to expand the bathroom and not waste that extra space, and put a closet in somewhere else?

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

I would leave the closet the 28" depth and open from the bedroom side. Maybe large shoji screen doors along the whole wall. I am assuming this is a bedroom? Or is it the bathroom? Where does the window move if you add 2 feet to the depth of the closet? Also the room is then around 11 feet wide? OK for a bath but too tight for BR?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I have a long, very narrow walk-in closet. I HATE IT!!!! I am not sure of the exact dimensions but there is no way you can hang clothes on both sides and even with clothes hung on one side it's tight. If this house hadn't been perfect for our needs in all other ways there is no way I would have purchased this house. Since you are renovating now do what you can to avoid a tight closet.

• suero
    9 years ago

I have a 4 foot deep by 7 foot wide closet. One 4 foot side has 1 hanging row. The opposite side has two hanging rows, and I have 3 feet of hanging space on the back wall. There is ample room to reach everything. It's like the illustration that robo zone 6a shows, but with an additional 3 foot rod on the back wall, and double doors to enter. Each door is 18" wide.

I'm very happy with the closet. There's 15 feet of hanging space and 15 feet of shelf space, not to mention 28 square feet of floor space. DH has a similar sized closet, but the arrangement of hanging and shelf space is different to suit his needs.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

suero - how do you like or dislike how the corners work in your arrangement? I ask because I have a 5d x 7w closet similar to yours and did not put hanging space along the back wall in order to better access the last 2 feet of clothes...but am wondering if I would like some.

I have to share mine with my husband...it's crowded!

• Susan Taylor Brown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for weighing in here. I wasn't sure at all if 48" would be enough or not and it sounds like not. (It was the number that came up quickly on a search for info.)I stink at drawing layouts. The window shouldn't be at risk as it is 53" from the current closet door.I only wanted to hang clothes on one side, not two, but it sound like 60" would be needed even for that?

Tibbrix - the reachin closet is currently 136" long and the part where you reach in (I thought that was depth?) is 28"

MissyMoot - I don't mind the reach-in but I hate the doors. There are three of them and there no way to ever see everything in there.

Robozone, I think understand what you are talking about - you would put the openings into the bedroom but then how far would it stick out into the bedroom? I think I would lose too much of the actual bedroom. But I will play with that (Separate closets don't really matter to me. I am no longer in the corporate work and work at home in comfy clothes all day.)

Tibbrix we are trying to make the best of the exisiting footprint of the house before move in so I don't think there is really any other place at the moment to do a closet. Perhaps in the next phase when we totally redo the master bathroom since we will be bumping out to do that.

Sounds like maybe we need to just leave it as a reach in for now and figure out how to see what is in it then reconfigure a closet on the big reno for this room.

This is the extra space I will gain when we close off this hall. The white door leads to the master bath/laundry room. That room is only 13.5 long by 4' wide (with a little bump out on one end that will become new entrance.) Laundry room is moving out of the space. When we do the bump out of the exterior wall I will have much more room.

So I guess then the question is - how to handle that long closet as a reach in so I can see everything in it?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I have a narrow walk-in closet like the one you are contemplating. It's about 14' long, enter at the short end, clothes (hanging and drawers) are IKEA built-ins on the full length of one side only (on the other short end, we've hung hooks on a couple of rails - we hang backpacks etc. on those; on the other long wall, we have 1) shallow shoe shelves, 2) laundry basket, 3) a little stool for me to sit on while I put on my socks and shoes, and 4) my jewelry holder. I had hoped it would be 66" wide, but it ended up being only 60" because there was something in the way (a window I think). I think it's as narrow as it can possibly be while still being functional. I can take pictures later if you want to see what it looks like.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

My proposal was to keep the 48" depth you proposed, but divide it up so you enter from the bedroom instead of the bathroom.

Here's a mockup keeping your current closet, but framing out the opening so you can replace your giant sliding doors with two sets of 24" regular doors. The doors would be hinged to swing out into your bedroom, taking up 24" of space in your walkway.

This would mean you have 96" of opening in your 136" closet -- the rest of the space you have to kind of reach in past the door. But I don't think it should be too bad. Each square in this drawing is 2". The other compromise is you can't put furniture right directly in front of the doors - but really you couldn't anyway with the sliding doors since you have to walk there.

• Susan Taylor Brown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sf7307 I would love to see photos of your space.

robozone - aha! I got it now! Thank you. You know, even if I don't make the closet a lot deeper I have been wondering if splitting the current closet like that would be a good idea. When I go back over to the house on Friday I will take more photos. (Every time I get home I wish I had photos from a different angle. House is being tented for termites right now.)

If I knock out the end wall on the left of the current closet then I could extend the space another few feet and I could still make them deeper if it would give us more storage space. I like this idea too. Thank you!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Not sure exactly how your layout goes but consider if you could use that extra couple of feet in the master bath as a linen closet. I'm projecting but I desperately need more storage in my master bath.

• Susan Taylor Brown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I will need more linen type storage as well so that is a definite possibility.

• robinmdc
    9 years ago

We had pocket doors installed on my large step-in closet during our remodel, and that really improves the usability of the space. It's about 4 feet deep, so access is on the wide side instead of making it a narrow walk-in.

Susan Taylor Brown thanked robinmdc
  • suero
    9 years ago

Robo

I have no problem accessing clothes in the corners, however I do hang the less frequently worn items there.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Susan, here's the promised picture. It doesn't seem to be showing the left side, so I'll click "submit" and if it doesn't work, I'll post another. I also just measured, and it's actually 64" wide. Unfortunately, I don't think it would work if it were any narrower.

Susan Taylor Brown thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

So it did work, although the proportions look funny! It's actually about 14' long (from where I'm standing to wall with the hanging backpacks), 64" wide from the wall with the hanging jewelry thing to the back wall of the builtin, and the ceiling is about 10'.

Susan Taylor Brown thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • Susan Taylor Brown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing the picture. That is very helpful. We go back over to the property in a few days so I will do some more measuring to see what I can do.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

My husband's long, narrow, closet is 52" wide. The designer recommended we put the hanging rods on both short walls and (mostly) shelving on the long wall. If you send me a message through this site, I'll email you pics (I can't seem to get to the photos I have saved on my computer's hard drive when I click on the "photo" function here).

• Rebecca
    8 years ago

Hi. Just curious how this turned out? We've got a closet similar to this - 129" long x 51" wide. It's a guest room currently and doesn't have much stuff in it, but we are about to covert it to a MBR to be closer to our baby, and ordering a custom closet to make the most of the space. It doesn't feel narrow to me at the moment, but that's probably because there's not much in it, plus there's a window on the unusable wall that brightens it up. We are planning to put a row of drawers and shelves on the back, clothes along the left, and keep the front part when you walk in fairly open so not to crowd the doorway. I've attached a picture of the current space (picture 1). Ironically, our master closet is set up they same way, although about 10" wider. The previous owners had it way too crowded and it felt very tiny, bad enough that my husband almost didn't want the house all due to the "tiny" master closet. But it feels spacious with our re-design - picture 2! I'd love to hear how yours turned out!

• Susan Taylor Brown
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Actually we redesigned the space in such a way that we can use the existing long, reach-in closet. Renovations for the master suite space started last week.

• Kathy Hunt
    7 years ago

Don't know if this is still a viable thread or not, but I was searching for ideas for our closet. We purchased our home which was built in 1955 as a flip this past August. The re-did everything inside including relocating the master closet which ended up being a 4' wide by 10' long walk in. It wasn't until we started hanging stuff in it that we realized there was no way to use the hanging space on both sides, so most everything is on the left side currently.

I'm thinking of splitting it in the future to give a 4x4 space back to the room it was taken from and then merge that room's current closet with the first room to make a "wall" of closet in there. The first room is my office and I desperately need the storage space in there!

In the meantime I'm going to see about some of these solutions you all have suggested...and I'd love to see some more photos of any narrow closet solutions you've come up with. I'll dig up some photos of my conundrum in the meantime .

Susan Taylor Brown thanked Kathy Hunt
  • Susan Taylor Brown
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We ended up just leaving the reach-in closet rather than trying to reconfigure anything.

• sjhockeyfan325
    7 years ago

Kathy, clothes on a rod take up about 22" of space. That would leave you only 26" for a walkway with absolutely nothing on the opposite side. As I said, ours is 64" wide, and I don't think it would work (well) if it were any narrower (see pix above).

• Kathy Hunt
    7 years ago

Actually, sjhockeyfan325, we should be okay with things that are pretty flush to the wall on the right side. The numbskull builders actually did put the shelving in, and I believe upon realizing it was too narrow, that they cut the lower shelf in half so that it's not right up to the door. I would remove that, as it is about a 16" deep wire shelf that infringes far too much into the walk-in space. Right now, it's virtually unusable, so anything we do will be an improvement ;-).

• sjhockeyfan325
    7 years ago

Very nice!

• Kathy Hunt
    7 years ago

Wow! That's stunning Rebecca! I thought the California Closet style units would be too much for the space, but you certainly proved that wrong! Will be showing these pics to the hubby ;-).

• Rebecca
    7 years ago

Glad they helped, Kathy! It made a big difference for us to add those enclosed cabinets and drawers to hide the ugly stuff and not make it feel over crowded when you first walk in. The 2nd picture really doesn't d it justice - it doesn't feel crowded at all, and there's a row of little cubbies along the bottom left wall too for belts, sweaters, shoe overflow, etc.

• ck_squared
    7 years ago

It is amazing what a good closet system will do for a small space. We lost space in our master bedroom/bath remodel but with a great closet system, now have plenty and better space in our closet. Yours turned out great! Love the chandelier.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sorry I'm not much help on closet design. I have a kooky house where I had to get imaginative. But for those of you with narrow closets this little gizmo is fabulous. It only sticks out around 10", it's strong and holds a lot. It also holds good weight with heavy terry robes and more. You can also double hang some of the rings. it's on Amazon...spectrum hanger holder, around $8.00 and over 500 great reviews.

I hang all my long stuff on these so I can double rack the back and one side of closet.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I hang all my long stuff on these so I can double rack the back and one side of closet.

What a good idea. I still have a few performance dresses and it's annoying to have to give up a big hunk of space where I could double rack just for those gowns.

Rebecca, your closet is gorgeous! Love the chandelier.

• Jocelyn Pearson
    7 years ago

Rebecca - how wide is that closet? Not sure if this thread is still active! We are trying to make an 8x4 ft closet a walk-in although I've already accepted it'll only be stuff hanging on one side.

• Jocelyn Pearson
    7 years ago

Sorry - I just meant did you leave it 4x10? I wasn't sure if you meant that taking everything out was just shelving or if you actually expanded it. Looks larger than 4 ft wide! Beautiful closet btw!

• Rebecca
    7 years ago

Hi Jocelyn! It's 52" wide, so a few inches wider than 4', but it worked just fine! We were really surprised how well it turned out, despite only being able to hang on one side. It also helped that we took the opportunity to do a major clothing purge, and really enjoyed having less stuff that we actually wore! Hope that helps. It may be an old post, but I'm sure there's other people (like you) looking for advice that will stumble upon it. =)

• Kathy Hunt
    7 years ago

Okay, I'm FINALLY tackling this project. I got energetic the other night and swapped the wire shelving in our long and narrow closet. Here are quick before and after shots right when I did it. You can see in this before shot that we didn't have much going on the right side...since it infringed too much on actually walking into the closet.

And here is the right after shot. You can see that I moved a mid-century dresser into the left side for drawer storage. It's a piece we had around anyway, and we can't foot the bill yet for a closet organizer, so I'm making do with what we have currently.

I'm debating keeping the high shelf on the right side...I think it will stay lighter and brighter if I remove it...so I'll see how much I actually use the storage (if at all).

I'm also looking for ideas for the right side...thinking of flip down wall hooks to be used as necessary...Ikea has some that I like here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60152590/

• Kathy Hunt
    7 years ago

FYI, I'm finding out every time I do a project like this what numbskulls the flippers were. This closet is 48" wide at the front and 43" wide at the back and 120" deep. I'm thinking of cutting the original left side shelf into pieces to make three new shelves across the back.

• chriskerr737
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I apologize, my comment was regarding someone else's photos that was showing you their project

• divecaribbean
    6 years ago

Rebecca I love your pics. I'm asking our architect to give me a really long closet and he wants to give me a 5x7 box which I don't want. I think I'd like the long walk in better so I'm going to ask for these dimensions with a pocket door to save on space since I'll have a window on one of the shorter walls. Love your California closet transformation. We ordered a John Louis closet system at our last house and loved it but it would've made better use of the space if it were not a square walk in but longer in design.

• klbjeweled
    6 years ago
    Hello everyone - I am an interior designer. I dislike long narrow “walk in” closets. Even if you have a designer create a beautiful, one sided narrow walk in - 2-3 feet of pathway is not enough. This will create a space that is not useable by people of all abilities, and wastes an entire wall. I believe a true walk in needs to have a 4-5 foot pathway. If you don’t have that much space, create a beautiful reach in closet. The options for reach in closets are endless. Keep in mind that a beautiful, well planned reach in closet will be an bigger selling point than a narrow walk in. I am very opinionated about good design, and my passion is promoting, creating and educating my clients about Universal Design.
  • epennant
    6 years ago

@klbjeweled, I hear you, wish I would have opted for reach ins. We are in the middle of renovations and our closet was framed out... and I realized the space is all wrong for our intentions and its too late to reconfigure (windows, certain structures get in the way of reframing). It's currently 4ft 10in x 13. An entire wall will ultimately be useless. Will have to get super creative with the space.

• Carey Ignaczak
    5 years ago

Rebecca - if you are still monitoring this post any chance I could see your plans from California Closets?

• R Brandy
    3 years ago

I try reading as much as I can but decided to ask for a personal opinion. I have a 6 feet wide/width and 12 feet area which I would like to turn into a walk in closet. is it possible I can it only be a reach in closet?

• HU-736520469
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I am so super bummed I found this article! I wish we would have made our one-sided walk-in closet narrower as we ended up with a very small bedroom! We settled on 40" deep after reading this article the closet took valuable space away from the bedroom which is 10' x 11'. I would have done ANYTHING for an extra 5-6" which would have made the room 5' x 11.5" and the closet 36" deep which is plenty for a side-entry walk-in closet. We wanted to do walk in instead of reach in because of the flexibility of the bed configuration and gaining more wall space in the room. But we ended up with a small bedroom and a large closet. Don't make the same mistake we did!

• R Brandy
    3 years ago

@hu-736520469 if the walk in closet was one sided which is about 4 feet wide (2 feet hanging space 2 feet walking space) would you have more bedroom space

• Christina Hormuth
    3 years ago

long shot but if @sjhockeyfan325 sees this, I would LOVE it if there is any way you would be willing to tape off 42" away from wall that has the Ikea built-ins on the photo above. We are in Chicago and our only option may be an even more narrow walk-in than what the OP is proposing. We have only 42" in width and are considering Ikea built-ins. We know that means we might need to shuffle sideways, but you do what you have to do for closet space in the city. I just want to make sure we at least have enough room to shuffle.

• epennant
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We ended up doing this in our closet (IKEA

) but we were a Few inches shy of 5 ft width. Snug walkway but works well.