SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_449242646

Question about LA REINE

Patrick-7a-MD
last year

For the past decade I've been trying to grow a cool colored pink rose in this large flower bed with no success. The last roses were Memorial Day (Hybrid Tea, Tom Carruth, 2001) and Grandmother's Hat (Hybrid Perpetual, found by Fred Boutin, 1972). Both were recommendations noted for their vigor. Be that as it may, they failed in my garden conditions. The plants could not deal with my red clay soil (even though it has been amended), showing little-to-no vigor, and defoliated from the black spot fungus even with occasional spraying with fungicides. Yes I gave them a minimum of three years to get established. Heck, I gave them four!

So I'm trying again. I love the looks of LA REINE (Hybrid Perpetual, Jean Laffay, France, 1842), but I'm terrified of being disappointed AGAIN. I'm only going to be in my current house 9-more years and would like to get some enjoyment out of that flower bed before moving. Is La Reine vigorous on its own roots in USDA Zone 7a (used to be 6b but we got upgraded due to climate change)? I would go with grafted or its more vigorous sport Barbara's Pasture Rose but neither are available through trusted mail order nurseries. The Antique Rose Emporium in Texas sells La Reine, and I know they select their roses for black spot resistance and performance growing own root, but Maryland isn't Texas. Our winters are longer and colder.

So my question is - Am I setting myself up for another big disappointment? Please be honest. My backup is THERESE BUGNET (Hybrid Rugosa, Georges Bugnet, Canada, circa 1941). I can get it grafted from David Austin Roses LTD, which should a) enable it grow in my clay soil and b) discourage suckers for which it is infamous.

LA REINE or THERESE BUGNET?

I really want La Reine because of fewer thorns, sweet fragrance, and those dang enabling pics at Hedgerow Rose (https://hedgerowrose.com/rose-gardening/hybrid-perpetual-roses/2012/05/30/growing-la-reine-hybrid-perpetual-rose/). I mean, the pic with her holding that globular bloom!!! Speechless! I dream of a rose like that.

Thanks,

Patrick

Comments (26)