SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idixierose

SOS: managing Baronne Prevost, La Reine, Paul Neyron

idixierose
14 years ago

I'm wondering how to deal with these 3 monsters in a small formal rose garden here in lower Zone 8. The bushes have been in the ground 2 years. They're planted in 6'-wide beds that border both sides of a brick walk.

Baronne Prevost: Pruned the canes to 3' in March. Through the summer, the canes grew to 6', but with little re-bloom.

The canes became so tall and unruly, that I trimmed them back to about 4', only to have them grow back to 6' again.

There are 6 BPs planted in a 6'x16' bed, which seems a bit crowded for this super-vigorous rose.

Since there's no room for pegging or trellising, my strategy was to prune the bushes to be shrubs.

Now it seems like I'm having to cut the canes back about once a month. Am I sacrificing bloom in the name of keeping the bushes down to a managable size?

The situation is similar with Paul Neyron and La Reine: Canes that want to grow to 8', few repeat blooms.

I work for the owner of a private estate who is very particular about the appearance of his garden, including where things are planted and how they are maintained. While I may disagree with some of his choices in the rose garden, it may take an act of congress to change his mind on where the roses are planted.

Comments (8)