SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlesw__hermann

Corner Cabinet Ideas

So I posted this in another older related discussion, and it was suggested I start a new thread with more details. Please bear with me as it is a bit long:

"I know this is an old thread, but if anyone sees this and has faced my issue, I sure could use some ideas. We currently have 14" deep uppers from the 1930"s, which we love, and are currently in a long overdue remodel, which could involve up to 15" deep uppers. Our problem is the corner wall cabinet. Neither angle, at 24" sides, or eazy reach style, can come with 15" sides. While a 27" angle comes with 15" sides, I don't have 27" of wall space. I have considered an online RTA who will make a frameless easy reach in any size, have a face frame/door made by my cabinet supplier, but with 15" sides, I would have a door opening of approximately 12" I believe. Does this sound feasible?"

To better clarify the situation, in 1975 we bought our 1934-built cape, which had only a few kitchen cabinets in the sink/range area, and a peninsula separating the work area from the eating area. Of the meager cabinets there, only 1 of the exisisting wall and base cabinets in the work area were really useable. It's been too long to remember what was wrong with the few other cabinets.

In the early 1980's, as a young buck then, with 5 daughters and a wife constantly complaining about her kitchen, I undertook my own remodel. Since the penninsula uppers and the one good wall cabinet, were 14" deep, not the "standard" 12", I studied & copied their design and built 7 wall and 3 base cabinets, including both upper & lower corner and sink cabinets. The wall cabinet to the right of the corner is the only remaining original. The saved base cabinet was moved over to the right of the refrigerator, out of the picture. Fortunately the penninsula was ok as it was.

As an office worker with no construction experience, I only had small hand tools, an old portable saw table you attach your own circular saw to on the underside, and an 8' clamp-on saw guide to cut plywood. I found a lumber yard willing to to rout rounded door edges for me. Since I was building the cabinets, I sized as I wanted, so, yes, the wall corner is 24" x 14", not 12" deep, and the corner base is actually 37", not 36". The radiator edge is over a little from the window casing, and I wasn't too concerned about lining up uppers and lowers at that left end.

In 2004 we had all the cabinets refaced with 1/4" veneer, and all new doors. After 18 years, this veneer has now seen better days.

Now for the problem: as you look at the range and sink walls, there is 78" available on the range wall up to the window casing, and 36-1/2" over to the sink window. I can easily do two 12" plus the 30" range cabinets, leaving 24" - great for a standard angle corner or easy reach cabinet. Likewise, the sink wall has room for a 12" cabinet, after the 24" corner. Except, we want 14" - 15" deep cabinets, and you can't get that in the corner, with either an angle or easy reach - only 12" deep. Quite frankly, this 14" deep corner cabinet, while holding a lot, is very inconvenient to access anything. A real reach!

And for anyone suggesting - yes, the penninsula would be removed, replaced by a wall of cabinets and pantries to the right of the table, which will open up the kitchen tremendously.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Comments (16)