SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3pinktrees

Granite countertop ideas for blue/white kitchen??

3pinktrees
9 days ago
last modified: 9 days ago

We're finishing up work on a tiny kitchen for an apartment we're making. The cabinets will be the blue color in the picture below. The backsplash will be delft tiles, to the ceiling. There is a large window, so lots of natural light in the kitchen. The floor is a light maple that tends just a touch warm in the light of the room.

I want a *very* bullet proof counter. My daughter will be living there initially, but it will function as a guest suite, spot for some of our children in college over the years, and possibly short-term rental at times. Anything man-made with plastic/resin that can be heat damaged is out. Things like butcher block that will be damaged by a knife are out. I currently have granite in my main kitchen, and we beat it up all the time and it's perfectly fine. So that's what I'm looking for in this spot as well!

Ideally I'd like a budget granite that's not super busy. Any ideas of what would fit that bill color-wise? There are just so many options it's hard to narrow it down. I'm getting quotes from local people and Home Depot. There are about 26 sq ft of counter.

Comments (25)

• herbflavor
    9 days ago

here is absolute black honed granite // seems to work with blue and white going on..... just depends on if the WHITE granites in your local place seem suitable.....a light cohesive feel in a small space is always good...check out your local yard and see what they have.

Alameda Kitchen Remodel · More Info

• rebunky
    9 days ago

Hi 3pinktrees!

Nice to see you are almost finished with the studio for your daughter. I love the blue cabinets and the delft tile. It is going to be so cute!

Are you wanting a lighter colored granite? If so, I hear some are definitely not bulletproof and stain easily. One that comes to mind is called Kashmire White.

A white Corian solid surface would look nice. Joseph Corlett is one of the Pros on here and he says solid surface is pretty bulletproof because if anything happens to it like scratches, stains, burn marks, etc etc, they can easily be fixed, even by the homeowner.

I do like herbflavors idea of a darker granite. I think it would be a nice contrast. I would check out Blue Pearl granite. I here it is totally bulletproof. I think it is a budget friendly stone as well.

3pinktrees thanked rebunky
  • Related Discussions

What kind of kitchen counter-top is this; granite, quartz, glass?

Q

Comments (7)
    @Sophie, The more I look at Pyrolave, the more I think you're right. @Everyone, btw, in case anyone's wondering, this is Roger Ailes' home in Florida.. http://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/real-estate/g9229692/roger-ailes-palm-beach-house/
    ...See More

All white 9x11 kitchen, need ideas for granite counter tops and lights

Q

Comments (37)
    I suggest doing your research on fantasy brown if you are considering it. It sounds to me like a marble. (Super white is another that is often billed as quartzite but is is actually usually marble.). Not that there is anything wrong with marble--I chose it for the ktichen in our last house, but I did so knowing what I was getting. Those countertop geology threads are really informative.
    ...See More

Backsplash Idea for the Granite Counter Top

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you everyone who responded so far. I really appreciate it. I would really appreciate If anyone can also share some good subway tile examples that may go well in my kitchen. Also, I was thinking about getting a single quartz stone just to avoid the too many grout lines (May be white with some brown/grey vein). Do you think it will look good?
    ...See More

majestic white granite counter top kitchen

Q

Comments (3)
    :) The apartment I was renting that this granite. The cabinet color they used was white (not stark white but a soft white- similar to SW Extra White). They used matte black cabinet pulls which pulled the look the look together between countertop and cabinets very nicely. The wall colors were very light taupe (almost looked like off-white in bright light).
    ...See More
  • eld6161
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

I was thinking solid white too. If you don’t want quartz, the corian that rebunky just suggested would be stunning.

3pinktrees thanked eld6161
  • Boxerpal
    9 days ago

I love blue granites. my best friend who could afford to put anything in her space fell in love with Blue Eyes granite and it is stunning.

here are a few other granites that are worth looking at. Bullet proof or more durable than white marble.

Blue Dynamic

Dynamic Blue Granite Kitchen · More Info

Blue Eyes

Annapolis French Cottage · More Info

Colorful Beach Home · More Info

Blue Bahia granite

Traditional Kitchen with Blue Bahia counters · More Info

3pinktrees thanked Boxerpal
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

Match a WHITE Dupont Corian, plain to the tile. Order samples.

You can sand it, the seams will be "invisible" and just about nobody can destroy it.

Taking a delft tile to the ceiling is already the star. Don't compete with the star. Get a "chorus."

A traditional delft tile makes no sense with a swirling granite . Granite doesn't really suit the look at all.

Want granite? Ditch the tile.

3pinktrees thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Arden Hills Estates
    8 days ago

The budget may not call for it, but a true quartzite is more durable(harder) then granite. Do be careful that your piece is more of a true quartzite and not on the marbley side. I test them at the slab yard to be sure. "Sometimes" an orphan quartzite slab can be had at a fair price. I just bought 2 slabs for 45$ a square. They are closer to Marble than quartzite, but in this jib they worked. Good luck

3pinktrees thanked Arden Hills Estates
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    8 days ago

My first thought was Corian also. Plain white would be best for the blue and white palette. Love the delft tiles!

3pinktrees thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • la_la Girl
    8 days ago

Agree with Corian - simple and disciplined

love the blue and the tiles, so charming - i really hope you come back with photos!

3pinktrees thanked la_la Girl
  • Kendrah
    8 days ago

Get a sample piece of Corian (bigger than the 2" x 2" pieces.) Burn and scorch the crap out of it. Then try to repair it per Joseph Corlett's recommended techniques. Then see if you change your mind about Corian.

I'm swooning over your delft tiles and the light, bright look in a small space. I lean towards traditional materials - had reclaimed marble counters in my last place, walnut butcher block, English brass hardware, and I loathe quartz and made made materials. I begrudgingly looked at Corian per recommendations from Houzz. I've now used it twice and love it. It disappears into the background and lets the other elements of the kitchen stand out - which is what you want. And is really care free.

I glanced down at Boxerpal's comment and literally read Blue Eyesore. Granite is a lot of look.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    8 days ago

The color scheme you have presented begs for a white or very light and mostly monotone countertop.

3pinktrees thanked Norwood Architects
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 days ago

Waht part of no plastic counter did you miss. There are tons of granites with blue in them but the backspalsh will now have to drive the bus for counter choice IMO always a bad idea. Maybe rethink the delft backspalsh since it doea scream a very specific style and IMO a very dated look.

3pinktrees thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

"I currently have granite in my main kitchen, and we beat it up all the time and it's perfectly fine."

All things in life are choice, and that includes beating things up.

Your chances of scorching Corian are incredibly low unless the damn pot was literally on fire.

For the love of heaven, get a couple of wood cutting boards, stand them up nearby. Tell the daughter to grow up, take a security deposit from renters.

Failing that? Lose the backsplash for some plain tile and go get a granite.

Pick between YOUR look and bulletproof, with protection from destructive users.

Appears someone will be destroying the rest, anyway.

3pinktrees thanked JAN MOYER
  • Kendrah
    8 days ago

"Pick between YOUR look and bulletproof."

Great advice. It is absolutely terrible to nitpick and try to control someone using your space. I completely get why granite would be a great choice in that regard. You just have to decide if you can live with what granite is going to look like against your great delft tiles. Maybe an arctic valley slab could work - kinda, sorta, maybe?

3pinktrees thanked Kendrah
  • RedRyder
    8 days ago

You have to take all your samples - especially the tiles - to the countertop stores. Plain is going to work best with fabulous Delft tiles, so look for simple options. I've had blue granite and it is definitely bulletproof, but may be too busy for your tiles. Corian sounds like the best option.

3pinktrees thanked RedRyder
  • M Miller
    8 days ago

"Your chances of scorching Corian are incredibly low unless the damn pot was literally on fire."

That is absolutely false. I had Corian in a previous home and set down a pot that was not screaming hot, but was hot. I set it down for 5 seconds and it left an unsightly large burn mark.

The OP could not have been more specific since she said, in no uncertain terms, "I want a *very* bullet proof counter" and "Anything man-made with plastic/resin that can be heat damaged is out". Her post is not a case of an OP not being knowledgeable, which might cause you to give suggestions she had not thought about. This is an OP saying very specifically what she is looking for.

Did you read where she said, with an exclamation point, "So that's [granite] what I'm looking for in this spot as well!" And "Ideally, I'd like a budget granite". Not quartzite and not Corian.

To the OP - there are some lovely granites with blue coloration that will be bulletproof. @Boxerpal gave some great examples. @rebunky made good points that often the whiter granites are more stain-prone. I think a darker granite like @herbflavor mentioned would go with your other choices in the kitchen. I am not recommending Absolute Black granite though. There has been a lot of fake Absolute Black put on the market, and they have all kinds of problems. It may be difficult to know if you are getting a fake Absolute Black, so I'd not get started with that.

I suggest a granite that looks like soapstone, but is not soft like soapstone. It is called Virginia Mist or Jet Mist granite. They come with varying amounts of "powdered sugar" and also some are more black and some are more gray.

3pinktrees thanked M Miller
  • 3pinktrees
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Thank you all! This gave me lots to think about.

I've never had any made-made surface counter, so if I should reconsider that, I realize that I may be missing something! I cut it out of the running because I do not want to replace this counter ever, so things that could be easily damaged by a careless guest or renter do not appeal to me. But if that's an overreaction I'm open to learning!

The delft tile I realize is bossy and that it's tricky to choose backsplash first. However, we love it and consider it iconic, not dated. Because of that I'm willing to work hard to find a counter that works with it and let it drive the decision.

So, the upshot is I agree that what I probably really need is a white counter (although I think black would work, but it is a small kitchen and a small home, so I agree that it might be better white). So the conclusion is that I need either a quartzite or a solid surface? Are there any mostly white granites? If a little staining doesn't bother me, is that the main concern with white granite and marble? I don't mind patina and chips at all (I'm actually going for an comfortable, lived-in feel for the apartment)-- I just don't want ugly cut marks (does marble get knife cut marks? I'm assuming most people will use cutting boards, but there's always that random guest who doesn't...) or burn marks.

• 3pinktrees
    Original Author
    8 days ago

That is absolutely false. I had Corian in a previous home and set down a pot that was not screaming hot, but was hot. I set it down for 5 seconds and it left an unsightly large burn mark.

@M Miller is expressing the exact thing I'm concerned about with manmade surfaces. Again, I've never had this in one of my kitchens, but it's the thing that's keeping me hesitant. Also, my mother-in-law has quartz and is very careful about anything hot or knives on it. I don't know if she's just extra careful or if that's actually the level of caution required.

• M Miller
    8 days ago

“I just don't want ugly cut marks (does marble get knife cut marks?) or burn marks.”

Regarding marble, it is beautiful, but given what your requirements are for durability, it would not be suitable for you because it can scratch, chip, stain and/or etch. People who love marble are OK with that and patina. You’ve been clear that you want something that is more durable.

Regarding Corian, here are screenshots of the ”Use and Care” warnings on the Corian website.

• john3582
    8 days ago

So why not soapstone?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    8 days ago

As much as I love Virginia Mist granite (I have it in my kitchen), I don't think that it is the best choice for the bright blue cabinets you have chosen. Are you past the point of changing the cabinet color? Perhaps try something lighter and more muted. If it's too late, then white is a much better look with both the cabinets and the backsplash tile. And you say you want granite, but it is VERY difficult if not impossible to find a plain white granite. Most of them have dark speckles or swirls that may not look good with your tiles. So you've got quite a dilemma!

Here is a kitchen with more muted blue cabinets, delft tile backsplash and a dark counter top:

Crisp Architects · More Info

• elcieg
    8 days ago

Baltic Blue Granite

• barncatz
    8 days ago

I've had a polished Colonial White granite counter since 2016, and have never had to reseal it. It looks as good as new, so it depends on the white granite. I had read, perhaps not correctly, that Kashmir White is not even mined anymore. With yards free to name their slabs anything they like, slabs of something named Kashmir White might be available I suppose. Having said that, I think most white granites will be too speckly for your backsplash.

I'd look at white Corian, which my daughter had in a bathroom from toddlerhood through high school graduation. It had a few stains when we sold but we buffed them all out.

• herbflavor
    8 days ago

wow that baltic blue stone is one beautiful piece!!!! find that one ...... otherwise dark....

• RedRyder
    8 days ago

@barncatz is right - no matter what granite we name, your stone yard can call it whatever they want. Hence the need to take your samples and shop locally. If something looks perfect, don’t worry about what it’s named.

This is a totally unregulated business.