SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maestrope

New Marvin Elevate inserts a bit hard to open: advice?

last year
last modified: last year

I just replaced 80-year-old windows with new Marvin Elevate double-hung insert/pocket windows and they are a bit hard to open -- not terribly hard, but a bit more than I expected. I'd like to ask for advice.

Context: My installer and I discussed the process extensively. Based on recommendations from this forum, we installed from the outside, added minimally expanding foam (the type for windows and doors) inside the cavities for added insulation, and flashed all the sills for added precaution. The measures were taken with digital measuring instruments to the 32th of an inch (in three parts, always selecting the smallest measures), and the sill angles computed with digital angle finders -- obviously, Marvin subsequently did the relevant deductions from opening size to frame size. To minimize loss of glass area, the units fit right, not too tight but certajntly not too loose. The existing 80+ year old frames were in good conditions, although some were a tiny bit out of square (but, again, I took measures in three parts and selected the smallest). We checked that the units were plumb, level, and square, with a 4 foot level and with a digital angle finder. For some of them, we checked with a laser level for horizontal and vertical. We used a minimal amount of shims (as mentioned above, the units were measured as to maximize glass area). We also shimed so that there would not be daylight visible in the vertical sides of the sashes as seen from the inside. We have not installed the outside trim, so we still can make adjustments.

I am at a bit of a loss why they are a bit hard to open. (They were easier to slide up and down when you could see daylight from the inside, but that would not be a correct install, hence the related shimming.) My installer and I will again check for plumb, level, and square, and will use the digital level to check horizontal and vertical for all of them. I am planning to also use dry lubricant especially made for windows to lubricate the tracks.

Is there anything else that I am missing?

Thanks.

Comments (8)