SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Kitchen sink replacement advice - Corian, farmhouse, resale, etc.

biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
last year
last modified: last year

I hate my kitchen sink! :) I didn't really pay attention to the sink when we bought the house six years ago, but I realized IMMEDIATELY after first use that it was a nightmare - it's a tiny, shallow single bowl (undermount) made of either Corian or a similar material that is impossible to get clean. Why the previous owners installed a 21" wide sink in a 33" cabinet I will never understand, but there it is.

Anyway, I have been meaning to replace it for years, but what with other more pressing projects, then the pandemic, it just never became a priority. Now we are talking about moving within a couple of years, and I am looking for small projects to refresh the kitchen and a few other areas that will help the house look its best when we sell. Not sure if a nicer sink is one of them, but it can't hurt, and it will make my life a LOT better for the next year+.

If I were doing this just for myself I would choose a double bowl, but since resale is a definite factor, I am leaning toward a single bowl - are singles still the more popular option? The counters are Corian, so I assume it should be no problem to cut them to create a larger opening. Is it possible to retrofit the cabinet for an apron front, or do I need to stick with an undermount or drop in? I would appreciate any advice, as well as suggestions for what type of contractor to call for this sort of job. I have a few other small projects that could be done along with this if needed to make it worth someone's while. Thanks!

Comments (7)