SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
latimore_gw

Seeking layout advice, please for old farmhouse kitchen

latimore
14 years ago

I would appreciate it if you might give me some layout advice... thanks in advance!

Our house was built c. 1880 with a major renovation in the 1980s. We've lived here 5 years and haven't made any improvements; this will be our first major project.

Our family is 2 adults, 2 little boys, ages 1 and 4. We do not plan to move in the near future, so we anticipate the kids will grow up here. Both adults like to cook but we've pretty much given up on being in the cooking area at the same time - we step all over each other. Our 4 year old likes to cook too so there is often a "helper chair" at the island so he can participate. Our usual routine is that one of us cooks and the other cleans up - I usually cook during the week and my husband on weekends.

Our kitchen is 17' x 17'. My challenge is that it is the major circulation hub of the house. We have a "real" front door but it is rarely used; everyone enters through the kitchen. There are also doors to the laundry room, dining room, entry hall, and living room in this space and we frequently use all of them. We like having distinct rooms and are opposed to an open plan.

I like the general layout of what I have but feel it could be more efficient. I have limited prep space (about 6-8 sf to the left of the sink). I would love to have more. I'd also like to add some features, like a second oven, larger refrigerator, etc.

I cannot move walls, hope not to move doors, and I do not want to change the location or layout of the cabinetry on the wall with the range, or the base cabinets of the island. I am open to reconfiguring the top of the island, however, as I plan to replace the countertops anyway. So the areas up for discussion are where the freestanding refrigerator is located now, the island countertop, and the area where the butcher block table is indicated (wall next to door to dining room).

This project will be phased. I am planning to paint, add trim to the cabinets, change hardware, install a new vent hood, add crown moulding, and add a light fixture over the kitchen table and some other minor electrical work in the coming months. I'm hoping a new range will come next, then resolution/replacement of the sinks/countertops, and finally, a new refrigerator and associated cabinetry. But my phasing order would change if a different layout works better and I am not tied to that sequence, and I have not determined a budget or a timeline for the whole project.

Attached are a photo of the existing, an existing floor plan, and my Scheme A for your comments. This scheme would move the kitchen sink off the island but I feel like I would have to put a prep sink here to make this area functional- so does that really help in my search for more prep area? For the main sink, I was thinking of one of those big sinks with the built-in drainboards (like the Clarion sink mentioned here in other discussions) on top of a cabinet. [Please see the sketch of what I think this might look like.] As I imagine it in this scheme, the bank of cabinetry with the refrigerator would be stained, not painted, and would go to the ceiling. All of the existing painted cabinetry would remain and the shelf around the perimeter at the top of the cabinets would die into the sides of that new unit.

My concern with this layout is that I only gain a little work space, and that might not justify the cost. Am I missing some other obvious, better solution here? Am I headed down the wrong path? Do you see a better way to make this space more efficient and gain more prep area?

Id appreciate your input and advice. [This is my first attempt at posting pictures, so I hope I am doing it correctly.] Thank you very much!

Comments (6)