SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceytx5

Countertop advice - quartz, quartzite, Corian, colors

Stacey B
6 years ago

We are reconstructing our house following flooding during Harvey. I have run into a dilemma re. my countertops in my kitchen and a small wet bar; it's mostly due to budget. The floors are hardwood (chestnut) the perimeter cabinets will be painted "bisque", the island will be stained a dark walnut, as will a wet bar located away form the kitchen. Appliances are stainless and I have purchased a copper farmhouse sink and orb faucet. Money not being an object, I would go with either Taj Mahal or Perla Venata quartzite countertops for the kitchen and wet bar; however, money is an object.

Quartz may possibly fit into our budget, but I have not been able to find one that I love. I also do not care for all the granite I have seen; I am not a fan of the "busyness" and major color variations of granite. I prefer the simple marbled look of the 2 quartzites I mentioned, specifically the more neutral colors. Some slabs of the perla venata had a small amount of copper veining, which I love with our sink. Having discovered how fast the money is going, due to the overwhelming damage caused by the flood, I have started trying to find less expensive alternatives for the counters and came across the Corian Witch Hazel.

Specific questions:

Will Corian look cheap?

Is Corian durable? Compared to granite and quartz?

Any recommendations for other "colors" of Corian, Quartz or Granite?

Any other opinions/ recs welcome... Thank You

Comments (37)

• Twosit4me
    6 years ago

Sorry to read about your Harvey damage. I have found that the quartzite I have priced out has been substantially less costly than quartz. I have fallen in love with Fantasy Brown, which is apparently part quartzite part marble. It can vary a lot. I also really like the look of the Witch Hazel corian. I was told that it is much more expensive than the solid colors. I had white corian a very long time ago and found it really easy to care for. There are lots of threads on the kitchen forum about this, you may want to check them out.

Stacey B thanked Twosit4me
  • javiwa
    6 years ago

Stacey B: So sorry to hear you sustained damage from Harvey. I can't help with any specific materials recommendations, but stay away from Schlitzberger Stone Design in Houston. They did a terrible job with my countertops, and I'm doing what I can to steer people away. Please see my thread here for the worst of it. Good luck with your reno.

Stacey B thanked javiwa
  • Related Discussions

My New Corian Rain Cloud Counter, Thank YOU Joe Corlett For Advice!

Q

Comments (26)
    Unlike Anglophilia, I actually tired of my neutral white counter with white subway tiled kitchen faster than I have my blue green glass accent tiles which still make me smile every shower. Every one's mileage will vary follow your heart and gut. As to resale I live on the golden coast in ct where everyone is pulling out the white on white kitchens and replacing with warmer woods and variety of color. My Craig's list offers Christopher Peacock kitchens frequently. So it seems many will hate the neutral aswell.
    ...See More

Counter advice, quartz vs quartzite/granite

Q

Comments (23)
    As Anglophilia has, I can attest to the wonderful durability of Corian. My current kitchen has 30+ year old Corian and the kitchen being remodeled in the new house had Corian of about the same age and it looked great. With the remodel, however, I will most likely not go with Corian because I'm simply tired of it. Am leaning towards quartz or granite. Jennifer Hogan's post above has a wonderful comparison based on actual experience. Regarding baking buttery dough, Julia Child, on her original show on PBS, mentioned she had a piece of marble cut to fit her fridge. She placed it there to cool and then used it as a pastry board for rolling out dough. This was back in the day when pretty much the only choice was Formica or some other brand of laminate for a counter top. Also, get what you like and don't worry about when it will become dated. Don't fool yourself - whatever you pick WILL look dated in 20 years and maybe sooner. However, what comes around goes around. Even boomerang Formica has come back in style.
    ...See More

Kitchen Counter tops - Cost of MSI quartz and quartzite

Q

Comments (5)
    In my area, $79 a sq foot is on the very lowest side of what I see in Atlanta (that requires going outside the city a bit - nowhere inside the metro area has prices that low, I don't think anyway). Perhaps b/c you are getting such a small amount and it is coming from a remnant? I agree with other poster's comments though - pick one or the other; don't mix. It will look like you didn't have enough money to put the quartzite everywhere. If you want to mix and match something, have the cabinets in the island be a different color, or wood and the perimeter white or cream (not sure what you are going for so just throwing out ideas).
    ...See More

White Macaubas Quartzite and MSI Cararra Marmi Quartz Countertops

Q

Comments (2)
    Doesn't seem as if the quartz picture is posting. Here is picture from website if it can not be viewed.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

"Will Corian look cheap?"

No.

"Is Corian durable? Compared to granite and quartz?"

Corian is very durable. It scratches more easily, but the scratches are easily removed. Unlike granite and quartz, it is virtually un-stainable. Trivets must be used with all three, essentially making them identical in heat resistance. If you break it, it is inconspicuously repaired.

Stacey B thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

My Glacier White Corian kitchen countertops are now 33 years old and still going strong. And yes, I DO cook. At one time, I had a husband and two children living in this house with me, plus cats and dogs. Cats ate on the counters, so they were always scratched when they jumped up.

The thing about Corian scratches (so long as the color is NOT dark - it scratches "white"), is that they just develop over time into the kind of lovely patina that one sees on old silver flatware. When I redid my kitchen 18 months ago, I had to get a new 5' fun of Corian for a new counter (moved refrig). Of course, matching the Glacier White was no trouble at all. But it was a bit "shiny" and I preferred my old patina. So, I just took Bartender's Friend, and a ScotchBrite pad and quickly created my patina so it would look like the old - SO much happier. I could have paid the fabricator to do this, but it was an easy DIY and I knew no harm could possibly come to it.

It's a shame that a product that was considered very "high end" when I first installed it 33 years ago, now has the reputation of being "cheap looking". duPont had problems with many of their fabricators and made them all re-apply to be licensed. The good ones did, but many others found it far easier to jump on the "granite" bandwagon and just badmouthed Corian. Then Quartz came along and badmouthed granite. Now, many want marble or soapstone etc.

In the UK and Europe, Corian is used in the highest end custom homes - ones such as one sees on Grand Designs. It's used because it can be custom ordered in interesting shapes - it can become anything. And a classic white countertop alway looks smart.

My DD also has Glacier White Corian for her kitchen counters and has the same integrated large single sink that I do. Her DH is a SAHF, and makes multiple cups of coffee each day, dumping the grounds from the French Press glass pot, directly into the sink and leaving it there for 8 hours. The two boys pour anything and everything into that sink, never rinsing. And it's spotless. This family could be a quality control test kitchen for abuse!!!

Corian makes a lot of different colors and patterns, but to me, the Glacier White is the classic that one will never tire of, and that will go with whatever color the walls are painted over decades.

Stacey B thanked Anglophilia
  • jjam
    6 years ago

I love my corian counters. They are solid white, with an integrated sink, which is also awesome. They don't show scratches at all. We had a small fire in our kitchen recently from a candle that was left burning too long. Insurance people said we'd have to replace the whole counter, including the integrated sink. Corian repair guy came over, sanded the counter, and the whole thing looked like new in minutes. Cost of repair was $100. I rest my case.

Stacey B thanked jjam
  • MotherOfGiants
    6 years ago
    I love my quartz counters. I got them at Home Depot while one of their frequent sales was on, and saved close to 20% overall. While some will caution you away from big box stores -- and my experience was not perfect -- there are also people who are very happy with their counters from those same stores. Quartz may be more affordable than you think.

That said, my MIL has a large corian island in her kitchen, and absolutely loves it. She's had it for 15+ years and it still looks great. She's planning on replacing the laminate counters on the perimeter, but finding a material to compliment the corian.

Bottom line, either is a good choice.
    Stacey B thanked MotherOfGiants
  • mark_rachel
    6 years ago

I just ripped out 84 sq ft of Corian. I hated everyday with it. I thought it looked & felt cheap. That doesn't mean that you wouldn't love it though. There are so many different choices when it comes to countertops. That's the beauty of it, you get to chose what you like & what you want. I love seeing quartz in other people's kitchens, but it's not my style for my own space. Witch Hazel sounds like it might be a good choice for you. The colors are very nice & subtle.

Stacey B thanked mark_rachel
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    6 years ago

I found I didn't like the feel of Corian countertops -- they are very durable and some of them look great, but I found the feel of them rather cold and plastic-y. Similar colours from a few quartz companies include Caesarstone Cascata, Viaterra Soprano, and Silestone Creamstone. I also really like the Caesarstone Bianco Drift, but you might find it too busy.

Stacey B thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • cawaps
    6 years ago

I've always thought the Corian Witch Hazel was quite pretty.

• oasisowner
    6 years ago

I loved my Corian and almost went with Witch Hazel for my kitchen. You might also look at Corian Dune Prima and Sandstorm.

Stacey B thanked oasisowner
  • oasisowner
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Here is Corian Sandstorm:

• acm
    6 years ago

go to a kitchen store where you can see large slabs of the material installed. that should give you the best way to see whether you like the feel and look of Corian and other materials. nobody can say what looks lush or cheap TO YOU.

• oasisowner
    6 years ago

Corian Dune Prima

• juliesampl68
    6 years ago
    I'm currently picking a counter top also to blend with cream bead board cabinets.. currently looking at 3 shades or Corain . Shoreline, Clam Shell and Tumbleweed! I'm having a hard time choosing also.
  • jjam
    6 years ago

One of the reasons we like our corian so well is that it's solid white. No speckles, no waves, no faux anything, Timeless.

• chiflipper
    6 years ago

http://www.renewedmaterials.com/alkemi-copper/

Stunning product, I have no idea of cost.

Stacey B thanked chiflipper
  • mnzinnia
    6 years ago

Here are some pics of witchhazel installed. Looks wonderful and easy care.

Stacey B thanked mnzinnia
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    6 years ago

There are quartz brands that are a bit less expensive - look into MSI Q and Color quartz.

Good luck!

Stacey B thanked Debbi Washburn
  • auntthelma
    6 years ago

We had Corian and loved it. My favorite part was the integrated dish drying rack.

• pearl1976
    6 years ago

A showroom lent me an extra large sample of Corian "Witch Hazel" 24 " by 24" and also I have a large sample of LG Viatera "Soprano" 6" by 12". I put them side by side and the coloring of both were very close and I think for the most part you could use them interchangeably. My family and friends really liked them both with my medium stained cherry cabinets . Out of all the many samples I brought home these two were everyone's top picks. They all thought they were both real marble. I found that the color image on the Viatera website for the Soprano does not look anything like the color in real life, closer to a warm white. There is a large desk top in a showroom near me and it is really beautiful. However in another showroom I have seen the LG Viatera "Clarino" on display. It is another white marble quartz with caramelish or copperish veining. It was paired with a dark stained cherry cabinet and it too was nice . FYI the price estimate I got for the Corian "Witch Hazel" was more than the Soprano about $800 I think . So Corian is not necessarily less expensive than quartz.

Stacey B thanked pearl1976
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

The color and pattern of Corian make a huge difference between it looking "classic" and "cheap and plastiky". It's why I prefer the Glacier White. It will work with creamier cabinets and may actually be a better choice.

Here is my kitchen sink wall. The original countertops were put in in 1985. In 2003, the integrated sink was added. Nearly 2 years ago, we reused it on the new cabinets.

I think it looks damned good, myself. It's clean and sleek and disappears. My big window and the garden outside, are the "stars", not my countertop or sink.

Stacey B thanked Anglophilia
  • suero
    6 years ago

When my Corian counters were newly installed, my son left a wet cast iron pot on the counter, which produced a large, hideous rust stain. The reason that my son is still alive today is that I took the purple pad the installer left with me and buffed out the stain easy peasy. I think that they are Glacier White.

Stacey B thanked suero
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

I love corian counters...for my bathroom. I don't like them in a kitchen though.

I'm surprised you haven't found quartz that you like as there are quite a few good looking ones out there. Did you look at Cambria Ella or Swanbridge, Delgatie, Dovedale, Torquay or Ironsbridge? They've done so much with quartz since I had to select my counters...if I had to do it over again, I'd definitely choose differently. Not sure it would save you any money over granite though, but the quartz products are so super durable and stain resistant.

Stacey B thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

"Quartz may possibly fit into our budget, but I have not been able to find one that I love. "

Keep perusing the websites for each manufacturer. I swear it seems like they come out with new patterns every week. There are FAR more now than when I started looking, just 10 months ago. I love Corian, but I would prefer it in my bathrooms. Still, I think it looks lovely in either place. I certainly don't think it looks cheap. My top pick for a kitchen, given money-no-object, is the same as you - quartzite - and not the half&half ones like Cristallo or Fantasy Brown. I would want a true solid quartzite. But they are pricey.

Stacey B thanked Chessie
  • oasisowner
    6 years ago

We debated quartz for the kitchen (we have it in the bathroom) but I didn't like the hardness, noise, or the shine. Final choice came down to Corian or soapstone. SO fell in love with the soapstone slab we saw and that is what we ended up with, but I would have also loved Corian again.

Stacey B thanked oasisowner
  • Chessie
    6 years ago

teeda - I love that Corian....really looks nice!!

• teeda
    6 years ago

Thanks Chess. Here's a full shot of the kitchen--I love the pattern up close but also like how it disappears from a distance.

• Twosit4me
    6 years ago

Teeda, what a lovely kitchen. What is that counter on your island? The space above the refrig? That chimney on the vent is really cool!

• User
    6 years ago

Teeda, your counters are gorgeous!

I have granite and quartz in the kitchen, but want Corian for the bathroom redo. Having no luck finding a dealer here.

Anyone have knowledge of Swanstone? Is it on par with Corian?

• Chessie
    6 years ago

Such a pretty space!!

• teeda
    6 years ago

Thanks Twosit and CindyMac. Twosit, the island countertop is walnut. Not nearly so easy to keep looking good as the Corian! The space above the fridge is where I keep my folding step stool. I'm 5'8 so I can easily reach it.

• Emily Jowers
    6 years ago

I'm pretty sure Corian doesn't have trouble with scratches on dark colors anymore. They are solid all the way through. I love Corian. Here's a tread about Corian that someone started a while ago. Lots of opinions, pros and cons. It seems that a lot of people love it. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/corian-scratches-dsvw-vd~5062035

Stacey B thanked Emily Jowers
  • oasisowner
    6 years ago

CindyMac, we have Swanstone shower walls in both bathrooms. They seem very similar to Corian, are easy to clean, and seem to wear well, although, of course, they don't see the same wear and tear as kitchen counters. I actually looked at Swanstone when we did the kitchen, but Corian had many more colors and patterns to choose frim.

• Twosit4me
    6 years ago

CindyMac, I was not happy with our swanstone counters when we first moved here, but loved my old white corian in my prior house. I put swanstone on my shower walls in our cottage and love it. I feel like it is different from corian.

• Chessie
    6 years ago
    Stacey B thanked Chessie
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

DuPont, Corian's manufacturer, tinkered with the mix for Nocturne, their solid black, to reduce scratching, but darker color solid surfaces continue to show scratches more readily than lighter colors do.

Stacey B thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC