SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donander68

I have Poa Annua but not sure what other "undesirable grass" is

Don Anderson
last year

I have a lawn that is approximately 29,000 square feet. It is mostly (85-90%) Perennial Ryegrass, which is what I want. I live in Arlington WA, which is in zip code 98223. The house was finished in March of 2016, which is when we moved in. Our house was one of the last ones finished in our development of 21 homes which was forested and cleared for the development. About 6,000 square feet of lawn was sod, installed by the builder, and the rest, which was done in the Fall of 2015, was hydroseeded by a company we hired. They removed a lot of rocks from the soil and tilled in a lot (100 yards?) of compost using a tiller on a Bobcat, before hydroseeding.

Each lot is about 1 acre (~44,000 square feet). Most of the other lawns have been successfully taken over by Poa Annua but I am still trying to keep it from taking over my lawn. The Poa Annua is relatively easy to pull out whole with the roots intact. I do some of it and hire laborers to do some of it. We have in-ground irrigation so I am removing the Poa one zone at a time so I can patch the holes with Perennial Ryegrass seed and Lawn Soil from Lowe's, then run a water-in cycle for that zone. This soil is fine and is easy to sprinkle in a thin layer on the seed. Unlike Peat Moss, it is not acidic so does not promote growth of moss. Last year I did use Peat Moss and this spring had to rake out about 8 of those 95 gallon yard waste containers from just a 6,000 square feet section.

My question today is, what is the "other grass" shown in the first picture? If I try to pull it out, the blades just break off and only a few roots come up, unlike the Poa. I guess I'll have to dig this out but wanted to see if anyone here had advice about an easier or better way to get rid of it. Fortunately I don't have a large amount of it. The second picture shows Perennial Ryegrass. The third and fourth pictures show Poa Annua.

Thanks,

Don

Comments (3)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional