SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Work Etiquette. Saying Goodbye.

amylou321
last year
last modified: last year

To those who work or have worked, what do you consider an appropriate send off for a departing coworker? It is a question that was brought up, almost confrontationally, recently when a coworker of mine left.

Leading up to her last day, she kept sending us tiktoks of these "funny" farewell cakes that she said she liked. She obviously wanted some sort of celebration for her send off. These cakes were huge, and said things like "Good Luck at your new job. P.S. You're dead to us." Or "We hope you fail and come crawling back." Again, these were HER ideas.

Now, typically this company and most I have worked at before do not provide any such thing for people who are quitting. They may or may not do something for someone retiring, but never for just leaving for another job. I already knew that our supervisor was not going to spend time or money on such a thing, so I went ahead and ordered her a cake, and gave it to her on the last day that I saw her. She found it funny and I think it was a little boost to her, that someone did that for her, because as I pointed out, its not really a thing that happens for people who quit. It seemed a simple, fairly cheap (like $30) gesture.

The almost confrontational part actually came after she left for good. I was at work, filling in for her and assisting in training her replacement. Our boss was here too and he commented on how funny the cake was AND how good it tasted. I asked him if he did anything for her. HE looked at me like I had 2 heads and said "NO. Like WHAT?" I don't know, buy her lunch, a card, or just say something nice to her. Nope. But he was sure to get a piece of that cake, and asked to take some home to his wife and kid. I did NOT berate him for any of this, because he does not owe her or anyone else anything. But I must have had a look on my face, because he said that if ANYONE should have done anything for her, then it should have been the company. I told him that I said NOTHING about anyone SHOULD do anything for her. I just asked a question because I was curious if he had done anything for her. That's it. He was grumpy the rest of the day. I did not know why. But apparently, I found out after the fact that the coworker was telling EVERYONE that I got her the cake and everyone else started to kind of question why I, the Night Minion, got her a cake while he, our supervisor, did nothing. Well, except indulge in said cake. So I guess he was sick of hearing about it.

I maintain to this moment that he should NOT feel bad for not doing anything for her, and that I would not have felt guilty had I decided not to do anything for her either. When I win this mega millions jackpot and quit, I certainly do not expect anyone to do anything for me. But it did lead me to wonder if people expect this type of thing, or if others find it not only appropriate but sort of required.

What is your experience with send offs in the workplace? Do you enjoy farewell parties, or do you consider a simple "It was nice working with you, best of luck." sufficient? I personally would not want any sort of fanfare if I left, just simple goodbyes from the people I enjoy, and nothing at all from the people I do not....

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!