SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
handust

Sad day - must say goodbye to my best girl today :(

Lisa
17 years ago

Hi. I'm new on this board, but I've posted in some of the other forums around here. Guess I just wanted to pour my heart out for a minute, if that's okay. To make a long story short, in a little while I will have to say goodbye to my sweet cocker spaniel, Casey. She's very old; in fact, her 16th birthday is this Saturday. :(

Over the past several months, she's gone steadily downhill. She fell down the stairs a few times last summer/fall (after which time I blocked the stairs and carried her up and down myself), and just progressively has gotten worse. I think it's just a simple case of aging, but it breaks my heart. She's been my girl since before I even got engaged, she's been around and outlived a couple of other beloved pets, she was here for the birth of both my kids, and through the death of my mom a few years ago. She's just been here forever, it seems.

I made the mistake in the past of letting my childhood dog (another dearly loved pet) die on his own because I just couldn't bring myself to be adult enough to make the decision to let him go, despite the fact that I was about 26 at the time. I find it so, so difficult to make a seemingly arbitrary decision that this will be the day. So I've held onto her for longer than more "practical" people would. But in the past couple of months she's really deteriorated. She pees on the floor anywhere from 3-10 times a day. She's been deaf now for about 2 years. Yet despite all that, and being pretty slow, she still seemed relatively happy. She enjoyed being around us, enjoyed her food, and seemed content to just sleep a lot and just be. But a couple of weeks ago, she stopped eating much of anything. She's eaten only a few morsels here and there, and I noticed she's not really been drinking for the last couple of days. She's extremely weak and nothing but skin and bones. I know it seems like such a no-brainer that the time has come, and yet I'm still struggling. Despite the fact that she has to be practically at death's door, she manages to act fairly "normal". If I could get her to eat anything to gain a little strength, it would seem nothing has really changed. But I can't get her to eat much of anything, even her favorite foods. I know that anyone not so emotionally involved as I am would say that her body is shutting down, that this is what dogs do when it's time. I know I'm supposed to be an adult and take her in before any true suffering begins. It's just so hard for me to take her when she appears so normal.

I told my DH last night that I knew it was time. He sweetly stayed home work today to be with me, and I asked him to make the appointment. We're supposed to go in just a little while. I know it's the right thing, but I haven't been able to stop crying all morning. I'll miss her so. I guess I just needed to get this out and pray that I'm doing the right thing. Part of me wants to beg the vet to tell me how to get her to eat, but at 16 years old I know I'd just be postponing the inevitable if only for a couple of weeks. I just don't know how to handle my little friend staring up at me, thinking I'd never let anything or anyone hurt her, and do what I have to do. My intellect tells me that's not the way it is, but my heart can't let go, especially when she doesn't seem in obvious, immediate distress. I know that's silly, though, since she can't feel good at all -- she's pretty much starving to death.

I'm talking in circles here, I'm sorry. I'm just nearly panic-stricken with separation anxiety. I know it's for the best; I'm just devastated. Thanks for listening.

Handust

Comments (23)