SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wordgirl80

Why doesn't it look "put together"? (UPDATED)

wordgirl80
last year
last modified: last year

*********Updated********

The final update #3 is at the bottom!

I'm so over messing with this living room. The decor in my head looked great, but not so much now that it's in place.

I wanted an earthy, airy, comfy slight boho vibe, but something isn't working. My son told me it looked like a "great-grandmother's living room" 😆 How do you feel when you look at this space?

What would you change about it? Is it too much cream, the wrong furniture? I want some wow factor and for it to look put together. Please help!!

Note: We are installing pecan-colored hardwood floors and upgrading the staircase next month.

———————

UPDATE

Oh my goodness!! Thank you, guys, soooo much! So I’m taking your advice and waiting until the hardwood floors are done before I buy anything ( except for maybe some new lamps).

But I have switched out the curtains and tables with some I had in the basement (for now).

I removed the rug and clock until I come across some art I love.

I’d like to keep the mirror behind the couch simply because the room is so shallow and my entry door opens right up to stairs and the mirror seems to pull the eye away from that. Would you suggest reframing it or going with a grouping of mirrors??

I’m pretty sure I have no idea what my design style is but I guess it isn’t boho. I usually just grab what I like 🤣 that’s probably the problem.

Here are new pics with natural lighting, Thank you all so very much! I will come back when the floors are in and I have incorporated some of these awesome ideas!

*****************Update #3************

Ok, so the new floors are finally in. We ended up going with luxury vinyl. Looks awful in these pics but it's gorgeous in person! I found a chandelier that I loved so I decided to change the vibe of the space.

What do you think??? If you can’t tell, yes I LOVE beige a little too much!

I’m still unsure if I like the wall with the canvas hangings. Also nothing has inspired me yet with coffee table decor so it’s a bit plain.

I painted the electric fireplace pewter green and I love it!

Do you think I should lighten the walls to a warm white? They are currently beige and I wonder if that is too warm with all the other beige/cream stuff.

Oh, thanks again so much for the time and advice you guys gave me. I really appreciate it so much!

Comments (68)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor