SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christopher_mchenry

Seeking some advice regarding drain pipe problem and washing machine

We recently developed a problem with water coming out of the drain pipe that our washer releases into. We got a new LG washer months ago and everything had been going fine until about a month ago when water started coming out of the drain pipe when the machine was run. I'd estimate the amount of water that comes out during a cycle is about 2-3 cups. Obviously, it appears we have some kind of partial block in the drain pipe or on down the line. I tried snaking the drain with a handheld drain auger, but I'm only able to put the auger wire into the pipe about 5 feet when it pushes up against something hard. I'm guessing that this is not the actual block, rather that maybe this is where the pipe has a bend or turn.

One big problem with my diagnosis of the situation is that I cannot access the pipe from below in the crawl space. When I go down into the crawl space, I can see the hot and cold lines going to the washer area, but no drain pipe. The pipe is located in a laundry closet that was part of a garage, converted by a former owner into a room. I'm guessing that the pipe was put in when the house was first built and maybe covered with concrete. It is probably connected underground to pipes going to the main sewer. The downspouts on each side of the former garage room also drain into the ground, so maybe the two downspouts and the laundry drain were connected to all drain together into the sewer. Does this sound probable to someone who is familiar with plumbing and how the pipes are put in? If this is the case, is this going to a costly nightmare to fix? I'm very concerned that they might have to tear up the piping to repair it. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and consider this.

Comments (9)