SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_217778891

Can't figure out wiring for old Carrier outside AC

mia berk
last year
last modified: last year

The thermostat looks normal, though simple and has a G, W, Y and R terminals populated but the system board has only W, R and C populated and none has wires going to the Carrier. To complicate things there's a haphazard splice in the basement where the thermostat wire is spliced and I think only 1 of the 2 24 volt leads from the Carrier connected there and some of those wires were pulled loose, the Carrier 24v lead(s) among them. I took the top off the Carrier to see how only 1 wire connecting could even be possible and the 1 of wires connects to a small circuit board then to a relay but the other wire goes across half the unit then splices with a yellow wire then goes down into the bottom of the unit and along with a 2nd yellow wire attaches to what looks like a rubber insulator then into a compressor pipe. At least that what I think I'm seeing. In the last pic you see the rubber insulator and the 2nd to last pic you can see where the blue wire is spliced with the yellow (black tape) then goes down the hole in the "ring". As you can see in the first pic the WHITE 24v wire attached to the Carrier BROWN wire and the RED 24v wire attaches to the BLUE wire. Does anyone know which wire(s) from thermostat goes to the Carrier? I;m pretty sure it was only one though that sounds impossible. I hooked up the Y to the white 24v that goes to the brown wire on the Carrier but that did NOT work. I'm afraid to do anything else without some guidance.

Comments (13)