SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eoren1_gw

Appreciate thoughts on Carrier AC proposal for central air in MA

eoren1
10 years ago

Hi
Been a while since I visited (3 years in fact since this forum helped me immensely with a kitchen remodel). Hope you can help me figure out an AC quote.
Background - 1600 sq foot, 1940's colonial in Massachusetts. Tired of window units (currently have 5 - total btu 36000) to cover 3 bedrooms upstairs, office and main living area downstairs. We get stretches of 90F/90% humidity but usually no more than 2-3 in a row and no more than 12-18 really hot days in Summer.
Point of moving to central air are for quieter system, no more 'losing' windows and cross breeze from June-Sept.

Have gotten three quotes so far. The one below is the cheapest and also from the most reputable company. This is the only company that actually measured out each room and determined best means of getting ductwork to cover first floor.

Total is $8600 which is actually quite reasonable in this state/town. I'm wondering about the 24ABC and whether it is worth an upgrade to the 24ACC? The units will be outside of the living room and in attic over guest room.

Thanks!

Install new air handler in the attic. The unit will be suspended from the roof rafters on threaded rod to eliminate any vibrations. There will be an auxiliary drain pan set under the unit with a safety shut off switch attached. The system will automatically shut down to protect the ceilings below. Install new copper refrigerant lines from the air handler to the condenser. Line-set will be covered with slim-duct. Install the outside condenser on a weatherproof pad.
Ductwork:
Install new ductwork throughout the home. The main trunk line will be metal wrapped with FSK R-8 insulation per Ma state code requirements. The supplies will be installed in the ceilings. All ductwork located in the attic will have a rating of R-8. All supply lines from trunk to ceiling diffusers will be insulated flex. Dampers will be installed in supplies to balance air flow.
Wiring:
Install new wiring from the sub-panel in the attic to the air handler and condenser. Install new digital thermostat.
Start up, test system and balance air flow.
Carrier Equipment:
3 ton,up to 16 SEER, Puron, Performance Series, Condenser Model # 24ABC636A003
3 ton, Deluxe Fixed Fan Coil with Puron, Comfort Series, Model # FX4DNF037000
Warranty:
1 year, 100%, 10 years on parts, 10 years on compressor (with timely homeowner registration; only valid on paid in full accounts)

Comments (13)