SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chestnut3

Central A/C Proposal

chestnut3
13 years ago

Hi- I would appreciate any experts' opinions on this proposal:

I have a 1929 solid masonry home with radiators located in PA. It is about 2700 sq ft with LR, DR, K, sunroom on 1st floor, 4 BR of equal size (about 13X13) 1 BA on 2nd floor and 2 BR (each about 14X16) 1 BA on 3rd floor. I have a proposal for a single high efficiency system 5 ton, 17 seer, 60,000 BTU system intalled for about $16,000 with a rebate from Carrier. It will be installed in the crawl space above the 3rd floor and the ducts will branch off and come down. The main duct will be insulated galvanized steel and the branches will be flexible/insulated. I am satisfied with the proposed number and placement of the registers on all 3 floors.

Does this number seem reasonable in terms of # of ton and cost? Are there any concerns with static electricity from the flexible ducts? Anything else I need to worry about? The pipes will also be adequately concealed (bump-out of walls, not through closets) and the registers on the 1st floor will be in the ceilings, designed to blow across the ceiling, not straight down. They (owner of company) "guarantees" me my house will be cool with only this one system.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (5)