SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richard_ny

Carrier Furnace Proposal - crazy high?

Richard French
8 years ago

I have a 12 year old York high efficiency, two stage, variable speed 100k BTU furnace with a good service history. ICL'd every year, no major problems. There's a Honeywell 4" electrostatic filter and a humidifier installed. It's a two zone setup with White Rogers programmable stats. About a week ago the unit had intermittent ignition issues. The blower would run, just pushing cold air up into the house. Eventually it would fire and I'd get heat. Sometimes it would come on and the fire would go out.

I had the contractor who installed the unit originally and who has serviced the unit come out to look at it. The are a big York dealer in my area - suburbs north of NYC. It happened to be working when he got here. He couldn't find a "last error code" on the unit and really had no idea why it was acting up. The flame went out at one point when he was looking at it, but it eventually fired back up. He cleaned the flame sensor. It's still having problems. He said that it could be a lot of things - draft inducer, flame sensor, pressure valve, etc.

His advice was that the high efficiency units are not reliable and very expensive to work on and that I should consider just replacing it. He called his boss and told them I was interested in a quote for a replacement unit. This was about a week ago and I haven't heard back from them. I guess they're not interested in selling me a new unit. That's okay because I read the Consumer Reports article on replacing a gas furnace and York came in dead last in the reliability ratings (from the surveys they do). Frequency of repair was about double other major manufacturers. So I don't really want another York. And if it's near the end of it useful life anyway I'm not interested in doing major repairs.

So I stated looking at other, more reliable brands and asked for a quote from the Carrier dealer nearest me. He came out and said I had a nice setup and that it would be a simple, one day job. He recommended the Carrier Performance 59TP5 - a nice high efficency, two stage unit with an ECM blower motor:

Carrier 59TP5

Here's what he quoted:

(1)
Carrier Performance Series 59TP6A100E,
96% AFUE 2 stage variable speed furnace

Included in Price:

All
necessary transitional sheet metal work

Re-connect
to existing flue, propane-piping and electrical wiring

Removal
and disposal of old system

Two
digital programmable thermostats

Note: 1
year labor and 10 year parts warranty upon homeowner registration within 90
days of installation.

Existing zone pane, dampers, air
filter and humidifier to remain

Not Included in Price:

Permits or associated fees for HVAC, propane piping or
electrical

I was not expecting $6k for this project - I thought the furnace would be about $3k and installation would be about $1,200 to $1,500. I'm going to call another Carrier dealer in the area for a competing quote.

So, a couple of questions. Was I unrealistic in terms of my price expectations? Should I try to get the York fixed and see if I can get a few more years out of it? I just hate the idea that I'm going to spend a a thousand dollars fixing it and then have to replace the very expensive GE variable speed blower next February when it's 12 degrees out. Roughly what's the price bump to go up to the Infinity series, and how are they in terms of reliability? I assume I'd new new stats. Do I also need a separate controller? We do have central air (a 5 ton York Stealth that's also 12 years old) but it's totally separate from the heating, with the air handler in the attic.

Thanks for any input, advice or suggestions.

Comments (13)