SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_johnston17

Update - stage 2 of 2022 project - a new lawn today in the backyard

woodyoak
last year

Back in March I posted a thread when the work started on our major 2022 garden project (limbing-up the red oak, pruning a white redbud, and removing a sick old ash tree). Today, Stage 2 - replacing the lawn killed out by the removal of the ash and the related stump-grinding. The work was done by the son of one of the neighbours behind us who took over the design and maintenance part of the family business after his parents retired and sold the garden centre. There were five people and all the work was done by hand - no mechanical equipment to remove the old sod or break up the compacted soil! Lucky for them that most of the day was cold and cloudy (although by late afternoon it was warm and sunny). Tomorrow is supposed to be hot and humid - not a good day to do this kind of work!

A few pictures:

Before they arrived this morning around 8:30:

(No, the fringetree in this picture is not dead; just late to leaf out....)

Work started:

Work progressing:

Adding Top Dressing Mix over new soil:

Finishing up after sod added:

We're quite pleased so far. The challenge now will be for us to keep the grass looking good all summer! There turns out to be more shade than we expected after the removal of the big, old, sick ash - the house shades the east side in the morning and the white pine (on our property) and the old spruces (on the neighbour's property) shade the west side in the afternoon. Once the limbed-up red oak fully leafs-out it will add some shade too. So we'll see how the lawn copes with all that over the summer...

Still lots of chores to do elsewhere in the garden... Top priority now is the remove the variegated euonymus we grew up the arbour in the front garden over the last couple of years - interesting idea but it turned out to be too much work and looks clunkier than I hopped, so it will get cut down to be just relatively low 'wings' at the base of the arbour. Much easier to maintain that and it should look OK (I hope!)

Comments (9)