What do you make when you're bored?
4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (28)
Related Discussions
What do you do when you're not livin' and breathin' roses...
Comments (13)So, Florence dear, did you go to the Mtns. ? If so, I hope you had lots of fun and are feeling refreshed. You know, I've been thinking about (and praying for) Robyn and I got to thinking, all this stress can't be good for her health. Perhaps she could get some relief from ordering one, or more, relaxing DVDs from WAVESDVD.COM. That is what I have done to try to ease this great big build-up of stress that I have been experiencing. Well, they came in the mail today, and I put one of the BEACHES DVDs into the dvd player, cuddled-up with my Winnie-the-Pooh bear, and Piglet, on the sofa under a comfy blanket and blessedly dropped off into a deep, much-needed sleep for hours. :) (You might really enjoy them, too.) You see, I have been under a lot of stress due to financial strain, and also due to having a local company squeeze in building a house 5 ft. from my property line in this formerly semi-rural neighborhood. The people who bought and live in that house are chronic noise-makers, doing their wild partying into the wee hours of the morning. Night after night, month after month of sleep deprivation is sooo very bad for my health--I have multiple sclerosis. You mentioned wanting to go to Tahiti, well, so do I!! to get away from them. Also, I am sick and tired of their garbage and beer cans ending up in my yard, and having some of the multitude of their fellow partiers parking in my driveway, on my lawn, or up next to the fence, gunning their loud engines and showing off to their friends how loud and noisy their SPECIAL mufflers are, and slamming their vehicle doors. Talking to them and calling the police (when they are keeping me up late) has done nothing to alleviate the problem. In my less charitable moments, which sad to say, have become more often, I think of them as "The Ugly Americans." :( Rude, obnoxious, inconsiderate people anyway... Debbie...See MorePOLL: Would you move from a house you like because you're bored?
Comments (66)OK. I admit it. I am a secret wannabe moveaholic. I am an Air Force brat who moved every two years while growing up and came to love it. I crave change just for the sake of it. New views, fresh perspectives, wide-open opportunities. Alas. I am married to (and in love with) a content-where-he-hangs-his-hat man. So... I paint rooms, make drapes, work on many projects at once, refinish furniture, create oil paintings. But, I do not feel totally satisfied with where we live. I want to move. The house we are living in is 10 feet away from our neighbor's house---we live in a historic district in a small, Southern city. I CRAVE a view and a lot more privacy. So, yes, cricket0828, I think it is fine to move if you are bored, if you can afford the move and your DH is in agreement. paint chips, you came very close to how I feel when you said, "Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that sometimes you just have to let life pull you along for a ride."...See MoreDo you run appliances when you're not in the house?
Comments (29)I live in Toronto, Canada. Unfortunately, we are one of the 10,000 residents selected to "test" the new "smart meter" - which means we are billed at different rates than the next door neighbours for using electricity at the same time of day or night. They have divided the 24 hours in the day into periods of low, medium and high energy use - and based the charges for those with smart meters on a sliding scale. So basically if I run my dishwasher and dryer from midnight to 7:00 a.m. I will be charged much less than say if I run it at noon. Yet our neighbours - with 6 people in the house - as opposed to the 2 of us plus dog - and no smart meter - can run their appliances at noon and be charged far less than we are. There is something wrong with this scenario. I have spoken with Hydro and the person I spoke with agreed, no way would he go to bed - or leave the house - with appliances such as these running. The ONLY good thing going for me at the moment is that I am on a fixed electricity rate for 5 years - which while sadly costs more per kw hour than the rate the NON smart meter people are using - I can run my appliances when I want and it will cost me less than adhering to the new rules imposed on me. But, when my term ends I don't know if I will be allowed to renew. The local firemen buy their firehouse food supplies where I shop and I asked for their opinions and they agree with me - and so did the dishwasher and dryer repairman who was here last week. What really scares me about the dryer is the lint/dust/hair you name it build-up in the drum. We needed new bearings and while I keep the lint trap and hose as clean as possible. I can't remove the drum since I can't re-balance it - the repair man confirmed that the average Joe can't do this - but he sure cleans his a lot at home. I cleaned it as fast as I could while he was working on fitting in parts - otherwise he would have had to stick in back in as is. When we are away I unplug everything I can - not the fridge though - but I think I will start turning off the washer hoses. Our insurance INSISTS that our outside water tap be turned off when we are away - too many instances of vandals breaking windows, tossing hoses inside and turning them on. Should this happen we would not be covered - not a risk I am about to take. When I call to tell them we will be away (a requirement) the first thing they say is to remember to turn off the outside hose - and forget timers. It is hard without family - and we don't have a trusted neighbour. But of course there are those who do have trusted neighbours, who unfortunately have "trusted" kids, with "trusted friends" and in the end a whole slew of people know your alarm code, things go missing, parties are held with underage teens etc. etc. I envy those with the true trusted neighbour! I missed the finale of Boston Legal because I wouldn't leave the VCR plugged in and set. Annoying....See MoreIn re Quirky: How do you train dogs not to bark when you're away?
Comments (8)I have always been interested in training animals. I have enjoyed clicker training my donkeys, but the first animal I trained with a clicker was in 1972 when I was going to school to be a vet tech. We had to teach a conditioned response to an animal and I taught a cat to sit up. I had read long ago that animals don't reason, but I think they do, at least to some extent. One of my dogs is a terrier of some kind. She looks like a cross between a scottie and a dachshund or maybe a schnauzer and a dachshund. She has a long body and short legs but a square-ish head and a rough coat. I found her dumped on the road...when she was about five months old, so I don't really know anything about her. Except she is stubborn. Every time I would leave, she would follow my truck out the gate. I couldn't send her back. If I forgot to put her inside, she would get out and run down the road when I left. My other dogs go back when I tell them. There are 3 gates to go through and it is time consuming and aggravating to have her run off and I had to go catch her and bring her back to the house. So, I put a big crate by my gate with a pad for her to lay on and a water bowl. It was in the shade. If she followed me out the gate, I caught her and put her in the crate. I didn't think that would break her of it, but it saved me from having to take her back to the house, especially if I was in a hurry and short on time. I only had to do that a couple of times and when I told her to go back....she did it. She never followed the truck again. It's like putting the bulldog in the trailer for chasing the mule to excess. She recognizes that she did wrong. I am more of a cat person.....but my vet asked me if I would be willing to raise 7 orphan puppies (like I had so much free time. LOL) The reason he asked me, he knows I can tube feed, and the puppies were weak. His tech was already raising a litter of pups and a litter of kittens. Some other women were supposed to take a couple of the puppies to raise but that fell through and they brought them all to me. So far I have just found a home for one. I haven't really tried very hard because I am picky who gets them. I bottle fed the little stinkers for 3 weeks and you bond with them. You have to be so careful who gets an animal because there is so much meanness in the world. I always wanted to train my donkeys and take them around to nursing homes, etc. to do tricks for the residents. I would love to train the puppies to do some tricks too. I know how much I would miss my animals if I had to live where I couldn't have them any more. So that is something I have been thinking about doing....if I end up keeping some of the pups. Well, I already know I am keeping two of them........................See More- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESThey're Baaack: 7 Retro Design Features Making a Comeback
You may have thought (hoped?) you'd never see them again, but these design blasts from the past are better than ever
Full Story
DREAM SPACES17 Bedrooms That Will Make You Feel You’re Still on Vacation
Take a moment to daydream a little before summer is over
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESHow to Decorate When You're Starting Out or Starting Over
No need to feel overwhelmed. Our step-by-step decorating guide can help you put together a home look you'll love
Full Story
SELLING YOUR HOUSEThe Case for Hiring a Home Stager When You’re Selling
This pro can help your home look its best — potentially resulting in a faster sale with more profit
Full Story
LIFEWhen You're Suddenly Solo at Home
Whether you stay in a home alone or move on, these strategies from professional organizers can help you with the process
Full Story
LIFELife: How to Make It Through the Holidays if You’re Grieving
Winter holidays can be hard for those who have lost loved ones, but simple actions and kindnesses can help
Full Story
HOUZZ PRODUCT NEWSHow to Handle Clients When They’re Upset, Unruly or Unreasonable
Pros share how they refocus stressed-out homeowners back on project goals and outcomes when they lose their cool
Full Story
LIFEMake Money From Your Home While You're Away
New services are making occasionally renting your home easier than ever. Here's what you need to know
Full Story
KITCHEN ISLANDS10 Decisions to Make When Planning a Kitchen Island
An island can serve many purposes. Here’s what to consider for one that works best for you
Full Story
TREESHow to Protect Your Trees When You’re Remodeling or Building
Will your home be undergoing construction this year? Be sure to safeguard your landscape’s valuable trees
Full Story
bragu_DSM 5