SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_222699859

New kitchen island light idea help

Dustin
2 years ago

We are installing a large island in our kitchen and replacing the tile floor with vinyl plank. The Dining room is off the kitchen and will have the carpet replaced with the same vinyl plank. The issue we are running into is trying to determine what type of lighting to put over the island which will be 77"x52" with no water. In the picture I drew in red where we believe the island will be installed, in blue is where it will have an over hang for seating. The installers may adjust during the install for best placement but this is our best guess. When the house was built 2 recessed lights were installed where a small island is typically placed but one was never installed. I marked on the floor where the lights are in green (Picture 1). I also marked in green where a single hanging light was installed which is on a separate switch. All lights in the dining and kitchen area are on in the first 2 pictures.

Kitchen dimensions (non-carpeted part) from wall to wall. When looking at the picture, East to West is 14ft and North to South is 16ft.

Idea 1: Install two new recessed lights at the edge of the seating area, purple dots. Those would be on a separate switch from the other recessed lights. (Picture 2)

Idea 2: Install two new recessed lights closer to the wall (east of purple dots in picture 2) and tie into the existing recessed lights. Then install a single modern chandelier centered over the island.

Idea 3: Install a single modern chandelier centered over the island only on a separate switch.

Idea 4: Something we have not considered and open to ideas!

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3 (Dining room light off)

Comments (11)