SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

"Best" tree to sit under

This is totally unrelated to my other garden project!

My back yard has a cute little rock patio with Adirondack chairs, close to my goldfish pond. It's a nice little area, if a bit hot mid-day. My girlfriend and I like to sit there in the late afternoons of the Summer, drink a cream soda and read for a few hours :-)

The back yard has a slightly slope away from the house. The patio is facing the house, so while sitting the slope is behind me.

These are some dated pics, but you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. The pong is to the East:

And the rock patio is to the West:

I have a lofty goal of clearing out the wild trees behind the patio, moving the fence back, and then filling in the new 24x60' garden with some full sun trees, shrubs, and flowers.

Can you suggest a nice tree to go behind this patio? My requirements:

1. Long trunk so that I can comfortably walk under it

2. Fast growing, I don't want to be 80 years old before I can sit under it! LOL

3. In the 25' tall range when mature

4. It's close to the house, so strong roots and trunk

5. Preferably not fruit bearing or the fruit will drop and stain the chairs and patio

6. Pet friendly

7. Not particularly attractive to ants or other biting / stinging pests

8. Full sun / direct sun hardy

Preferred but not required:

A. Colorful

B. Evergreen

C. Pleasant smell

I was leaning towards a Weeping Cherry, but at a growth rate of 12" per year I'm not sure. And it might be a little TOO much "weep" to sit under? I'd like to be able to walk under it comfortably without having to swim through the hanging limbs to get to the chairs :-O

Pink dogwood, maybe? But still a slow growth rate...

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths