SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethd22

removing grass under maple trees without damage to the trees

ElizabethD22
13 years ago

Hi - I've come across these forums several times as I try to find answers to my gardening questions online and specifically joined up just so I could post this question. I've searched the forums and not seen a specific answer to my problem.

I live on a 100x200' lot with a small house, and very little landscaping aside from some aged maples near the road. I'm trying to get my lot planted with small trees, shrubs, perennials, etc. but I have to do the work myself and don't have a lot of extra $$ for fancy equipment, so it's a long slow process. I HATE MOWING, at least with the gas mower it takes to get this lawn mowed in the time I have, so my plan is to replace the lawn with mulch, groundcover, and other landscaping and just wind up with some small ovals in the front and back yards that I can mow with a reel mower (which I do enjoy using). I am planning to kill off most of the lawn using a combination of vinegar, plastic solarization, mulch, etc. as I do not want to use chemicals.

My main question for now is, how do I clear the grass out from under the maple trees? I'm assuming I can't do the solarization method, because it would hurt the tree roots, likewise the vinegar, or am I incorrect? Should I use just newspaper mulch and wood chips, or is there another way to do this with as little damage to the trees as possible? We're talking about a lot of grass here...

If this question has been answered elsewhere on the forums, please send me the link. I've looked around and the only postings I found became discussions about whether or not chemicals are safe to use. Assuming I don't use chemicals, what's the best way to get rid of this grass? Thanks - Elizabeth

Comments (2)