Food Floof! Its cold outside.....
4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (51)
Related Discussions
Food Floof! Potluck Specialty
Comments (69)I am another lover of potlucks. So many flavors and a variety of stuff I don't usually bake/make and some I've never heard of. Love it! Love it! My DIL has a family reunion (100th this year) that she has invited us to attend for the last 10 years that she and DS have been married. So sweet since they are the only family I have -- while she has 87 cousins and a passel of assorted other relatives. The revolving hostess arranges to have the main dish delivered - usually from an upscale restaurant, dinner service pieces, table flowers, etc. Everyone contributes to the cost that also covers the servers, cleaner-uppers, etc. $15 ea is a really inexpensive meal for the two of us! Almost everyone brings something homemade (or sometimes purchased), or a bottle of booze, or nibbles, or who tosses in a few extra dollars for the service. My DIL is a professional cake decorator (my son is the baker - like me) so she contributes a couple gorgeous cakes that are show stoppers. Not knowing what to bring the first time, I laid out a platter of my homegrown/homemade pickled okra, maybe 150 pieces. Not one tiny speck was left! So, now it is on the hostess's list asking me to bring it every year. I feel like such a part of a welcoming family. A simple thing that makes the difference to someone. So, if you are asked/expected to bring a certain dish, you may not know how much people look forward to it....See MoreFood Floof! The "never agains"
Comments (47)That reminds me of the time one of my stepsons, about 14 or 15 at the time, baked a cake. Now, he was pretty good with cake mixes, and in the kitchen in general, so I felt no need to supervise. His grandmother had told him that a good way to keep cakes from sticking to the pan was to line the pan with wax paper. (This was back in the early 70's.) Well, he couldn't find the wax paper (I was out of it), and he didn't bother to say anything, he just used plastic wrap instead. Getting that Saran wrap off the bottom of that cake was quite a job! Yes, Bob and Raye, wasabi in Ranch dressing is delicious! Especially as a dip for crispy fried parmesan green beans. Georgysmom, King Ranch Casserole is pretty popular and common around here. Most people seem to like it a lot. For me, it's a take it or leave it kind of dish. There are various 'versions' of it but I can't imagine it ever being so awful as to be inedible. Unless there was a misprint in the recipe or a wrong ingredient mistakenly used. Another thing my family frequently laughs about. My husband's grandmother & I were pretty close. I written her and asked for a cake recipe she made that my husband really liked. (We lived about 150 miles apart, and this was in the mid 60's, no emails, texts, etc.) She sent it to me, and as soon as I made sure I had all the ingredients, I made it. Well, it tasted fine, but it didn't rise hardly at all, and was quite solid. It's called Buttermilk Cake, and has a lot of pecans in it. My husband and kids ate most of it not gonna let all those pecans go to waste! So, a week or so later I tried again. Same results. Now, desperate to make a good cake, I called Grandma to see if she could help me figure out what was wrong. After a fairly long conversation (paying for long distance!) she finally asked me to read her handwritten recipe to her. I did, and guess what, no eggs in the ingredients! I was inexperienced enough in cake baking (pies and cookies were, (and still are,) my specialty. Needless to say, the next Buttermilk Cake I made included the 4 eggs, and turned out wonderful. That recipe has remained a family favorite all these years. Rusty...See MoreFestive Food Floof! The perfect plate!
Comments (27)My plate of favorites would include white and dark meat turkey, rustic (made with unpeeled potatoes that are not mashed until they no longer resemble potatoes) mashed potatoes with a bit of whole milk and butter, kasha (buckwheat) stuffing, fresh green beans with mushrooms, turnip puff, cooked carrots with a hint of maple syrup and browned butter, turkey gravy for the stuffing and potatoes, and a raw fruit salad with a touch of lime juice and honey. I’m not much of a dessert eater, but I like a creamy lemon pie with a crushed animal cracker crust, usually called North Carolina lemon pie, I think. I may have to make one tomorrow. I first had the kasha stuffing when I went home with a college friend for T-day and have made it since then. Wonderfully flavored with everything you’d put in a bread dressing, it is a delicious alternative to a festive feast. Buckwheat is gluten free for those that are interested, by the way....See MoreFestive Food Floof! Hearts!
Comments (24)I know you're looking for ready made, but I don't know any. Have you heard of pie pops? I haven't until I saw this gadget just now... https://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-Pops-Press-Prep-Tools/dp/B0077LSB9C/ref=sr_1_27?crid=1BFNCR5XFRNUV&keywords=tovolo+chop+and+spin&qid=1675844084&sprefix=tovolo+chop+and+spin%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-27...See More- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years agoamylou321 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years agoamylou321 thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years agoamylou321 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years agoamylou321 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years agoamylou321 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
Related Stories

LIFEYou Said It: ‘Art Is a Lot Like Food’ and Other Houzz Quotables
Comments, advice, popular photos, lessons and spectacular views from this week
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BUTTERFLIESGardening for the Bees, and Why It’s a Good Thing
When you discover how hard bees work for our food supply, you may never garden without them in mind again
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGet a Head Start on Planning Your Garden Even if It’s Snowing
Reviewing what you grew last year now will pay off when it’s time to head outside
Full Story
PETSIt’s a Dog’s World in These Hardworking Laundry Rooms
Canine amenities include pet beds, crates, bowls, washing stations, doors and even a designated pet water bowl filler
Full Story
ORGANIZINGOrganizing Secrets: It’s the Little Things
Get these 8 small areas under control for a major boost in overall tidiness at home
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEPantry Placement: How to Find the Sweet Spot for Food Storage
Maybe it's a walk-in. Maybe it's cabinets flanking the fridge. We help you figure out the best kitchen pantry type and location for you
Full Story
WINTER GARDENINGExtend Your Growing Season With a Cold Frame in the Garden
If the sun's shining, it might be time to sow seeds under glass to transplant or harvest
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARD6 Things to Know Before You Start Growing Your Own Food
It takes time and practice, but growing edibles in the suburbs or city is possible with smart prep and patience
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNDeliciously Simple: Food Photographer Warms Up a Rental Kitchen
See how a San Francisco cook and blogger makes her small kitchen shine
Full StorySponsored
Innovative & Creative Custom Closet Designer Servicing Franklin County




marilyn_c