SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katherine_mccannell59

Kitchen Update Advice? Cab to ceiling, countertops & bsplsh

Katherine McCannell
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi all!

We are wanting to update our kitchen and need some advice on how to bring a cohesive and timeless look while utilizing as much of the cabinetry and layout as possible. We moved into the house in September 2020. It was built in 2004.

Updates we've done:

Lighting: new over table and island

Banquette: built this last month. We wanted more room to eventually expand the island. I am currently refinishing a rectangular table to replace the round.

Dishwasher: black stainless steel LG

Hardware

Updates we would like:

Island: Drop down to counter height and expand a little to allow for 4-5 seats (considering L shaped seating configuration)

Cabinets: Raise to the ceiling - I know I won't be able to match the natural cherry wood so if possible I want to reuse some of the cabinets that will need to be removed

Desk area: Remove existing upper cabinet and lower desk part, replace with floor to ceiling pantry - this will need to be a painted cabinet. *Hoping to switch out this upper with the glass cabinet next to it, then use the glass cabinet and wood from around the sink to build the uppers for that wall.

Countertops: Quartz in either a marble look (calacatta gold) or black soapstone look. I'm open to suggestions and having different countertops on island as a statement piece.

Fridge/Range Wall: Counter depth and larger fridge (ours is 30" and it's too small for our growing family), cabinets to ceiling

(painted to match the added pantry next to table), new range with double oven, new microwave

Backsplash: I like the slab look but am worried it will date my kitchen in a few years. Need ideas that will complement the beadboard cabinets.

Sink and faucet

Floors: eventually we may replace but would prefer to keep them for now (I know, not ideal)

Note that I really don't like the placement of the range, I feel pushed in to a corner when I cook. I am struggling with reconfiguring the kitchen though as I don't like anything (cooktop, sink) on the island which really limits options. My biggest hurdle is finding a better spot for that fridge. The one solution I've come up with is to bust down that walk through pantry kitchen wall, place the fridge in there with another food pantry to the right of it. Then I would take the range, center it on the current wall and make it a full cook area (using the current fridge water line for a pot filler). You could still access the fridge through the hall pantry door and we are building a bar area with beverage fridge in the hall too. The fridge might be too tight of a fit though.

More info:

Cabinets: Natural Cherry Wood (beadboard)

Wall Paint: Sherwin Williams Pale Oak

Banquette Paint: Sherwin Williams Roycroft Bottle Green

So I guess what I'm asking is for some professional opinions on my plans, the functionality of layout, options for countertop/backsplash and any other brilliant ideas I may have missed?

Here are some pics :)

Kitchen before we moved in:

Layout (taken from builders site, some modifications but generally the same)

Current Kitchen (night time so darker pic, sorry)

To the right of the fridge area is where the dry bar with beverage fridge will be

Angle towards living room (furniture placement and art have changed since this pic)

Pantry area (previous owners)

Mockup layout with fridge moved, note there would be no door between fridge and stove area. (AP: Appliance Pantry)

Thanks for all the help!

Comments (9)