SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saray7997_gw

Advice on 1960's Kitchen Update

saray7997
15 years ago

Our '60's era kitchen is pictured below, avocado green appliances and all. The cabinets are cherry, and for budget reasons we plan to keep them. However, the finish is in poor condition on the doors/drawers that have gotten heavy use over the years.

Our house is a 1920's colonial revival. We've been renovating it DIY for the past 4 years, and we've finally come to the point where we can do the last interior room...the kitchen! We're going to put beadboard wainscoting on the kitchen walls, varied width red oak on the floor, soapstone countertops, white subway tile backsplash, ORB hardware, and of course remove wallpaper and add new appliances, fixtures, etc. keeping with the "period" look.

My question is this: Would we be completely nuts to paint the cabinets you see in the pic BM white dove to match the rest of the trim in our house. We would also do a trim treatment on the soffit to make it blend with the painted cabinets (I've seen it done by several people in this forum). We'd keep two sets of cabinets on separate walls that you cannot see from this picture cherry wood.

I *love* the look of all the period kitchens on this forum...but they're white! Ideally, I'd love white cabinets in my own kitchen. But, somehow I feel like it's a sin to paint cherry wood.

If we rejuvenated the finish on the cabinets and left them cherry would that still go with the period look? It wouldn't be my ideal kitchen, but my conscience may rest easier knowing I didn't slather paint over cherry.

Please offer your suggestions!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (8)