SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckandjake

1960's Ranch Update Suggestions

Becky C
5 years ago

We recently purchased a 1960's ranch home that we are looking to update. Overall, the house is in great shape (one owner home prior to us purchasing) it just needs updating and freshening up. Before we start work on the inside, we are looking to get things taken care of outside. We will be replacing the roof in the next couple of weeks, probably with a mid-tone grey color. Here is where I start to struggle:

1) The house has brick and vinyl siding. Do I go with contrasting colors? or paint it all the same color? What colors would be best? I like the lighter colors with stained wood columns and shutters, but do not want to go all white because I am afraid it will be washed out and bland.

2) My husband wants to enlarge the windows in the bedrooms and probably the living rooms to bring in more light. Will that throw off the look of the house? What windows are best? Most of our windows are not standard because they are narrow, does that matter? Probably looking to swap the aluminum windows for white.

3) Is it worth the cost to add a front porch and possibly move the front door? Right now the front door brings you into the far end of the living room. We will be remodeling the kitchen/living room soon, so if we are going to add a porch and/or center the front door now is the time to do so.

We can't wait to breathe some new life into this house. I am not a very creative person, so any advice is welcomed!

1960 Ranch House · More Info

Comments (5)