SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leah_daves

Help Designing Ikea Pax + Boaxel For Small Walk In Closet

Leah Daves
2 years ago

My master closet is 113" x 44" deep with 10" ceilings and my first design of pax made use of all the space but the frames come out to 23" deep, which left me only 21" of walkway. After I taped off the floor in the closet to where the units would extend to, it looked like it would feel claustrophobic with all these big frames in there. I have standard builder's grade closet now and my "walkway" is only 24" from the tip of my hanging clothes to the wall and is 5" long. It's tight but doesn't feel claustrophobic, mostly just disorganized. To get the best of both worlds, I chose to put one large pax (39 x 23) on each end of the closet and a small pax (19x23) in the middle. The area in between the small middle pax (#2) and the side walls, I planned to supplement with Boaxel modular shelving and add more on top to utilize all the space I can. These pax units are 93" tall and I have 120" ceilings so there will be quite a bit of extra space. I tried googling and no one has done this apparently so I don't know how it will look. Ikea's planning tool would not let me put a room size less than 197" so I had to get creative. This will use up most of the entire length of the back wall with a few inches gap on the end to allow more access to the pax that are on the side walls (#1 and 3) I also tried several other closet systems online and Elfa but they are 3x as much as this system with about the same result. The first photo is how everything would be laid out and the second photo is all the pax units with a frontal view to see what goes in there. Any design suggestions?

Comments (4)