Let's see some Fs today

I think it is the same cat!

Have a great day everyone ........

Comments (71)

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Few more:

I edited this post because I posted the wrong photo. I had posted Paul’s Glory by mistake.

about 4th year, gets nooo sun

Fragrant Blue not sure of the date

I also have Francee which did not warrant a photo because it needs to be moved. And I also have several fortunei aureomarginatas, but can’t find a photo anywhere.

debra

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

Steve....I'm with you. Love the frosty green. Tried FF Psalm Sunday twice with no luck.

peren....great looking Fingerprint...added to the list! Fire and Ice is one of the best I've seen.

Debra....very pretty pic of Fragrant Blue.

Fire Island 5-7-21

Fire Island #2 in pot 5-12-21

Firn Line

First Frost 5-15-21

Fog Light... Autumn Frost on left 5-5-21. FL comes up with the frosty green color, then yellows up later.

Forbidden Fruit 6-4-21...regressed quite a bit last year. Curious to see what happens next.

• Related Discussions

F daylilies 2021

Q

Comments (33)
    David (and Heather), here is the info on Forest God from Solaris Farms, who hybridized it. I know he's in WI, but don't what zone. Hope this helps. It really is a gorgeous bloom. Bremer. 2005. Dormant. Diploid. 26″; 5″. 2-3 branches. 12+ buds. M to ML. Yellow-pink polychrome. The green throat is large and striking. Flowers are perfectly flat and shiny. Substance is like wax. Typically has more than 12 buds as it is a bud builder. To see this flower in bloom equals an instant love affair. Always popular. Excellent increaser. (Cosmic Questions x Quiet Earth).
    ...See More

Hosta C 2021 ..................

Q

Comments (74)
    Peren.all, thanks for the nice words. I see what you mean about the mice looking happy together. (I never thought of it like that!) I may just keep them together! I am going to think about what I can put with them to make a grouping of 3. I'd certainly buy Cherry Berry at my horticultural society's sale if it were available----and then I'd ask you for some "tips!"
    ...See More

Hosta minis 2021 .................

Q

Comments (26)
    Late again, i know "the mini list" goes by leaf size, but I just throw the little ones in to a big pot and call them minis. Clockwise from back left corner: Fruit Loops, Fantasy Island, Coconut Custard, Pixie Vamp, Cookie Crumbs. And when they start to crowd, they get thrown into the garden and replaced in the pot with my "miniaturized" Hosta from the garden. The little ones like the breathing room. Clockwise from top: Coconut Custard, Lakeside Banana Bay, Smiley Face, Cookie Crumbs, Pixie Vamp. Clockwise from top: (not so mini) Dinner Mint, Yippee, Li'l Smooch, Cherry Tart, Crumb Cake and Kaleidoscope in the middle. Dinner Mint gets moved to the garden and Kaleidoscope moves to the edge. A new mini pot last year. CW from top: Platinum Tiara, Cracker Crumbs, Cameo, Silver Tongued Devil, Lemon Kiss. And overflow minis planted last year. CW from top: Hacksaw, Faithful Heart, Little Miss Sunshine.
    ...See More

Hosta Sun Lovers 2021 ...

Q

Comments (13)
    Paula especially love the duck & no secrets in the garden. So nice everyone. old_dirt it certainly has adapted! When I checked the list there are so many sun lovers. Here are a very few. BME Lemon Frost Powder Blue is not on the list but should be for me. It gets sun until at least 3:00. Lemon Lime with June & Borwick Beauty (Don still lists it as Color Glory) behind. Royal Standard is at the top. Here you go Ann. Praying Hands with Winter Snow behind. WS is very sun tolerant.
    ...See More
  • mbug_gw
    2 years ago

Part 2

Fortunei Albomarginata 6-8-20

Fortunei Aureomarginata with Kempen Red Twist 5-30-21

Fragrant Bouquet 6-27-21

Fragrant Fire 6-11-21

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

Last bunch

Fragrant Queen 6-18-21....needs a move this spring

Fragrant King 5-7-21

Frances Williams 5-13-21...early pic when it's still "photogenic"

Frisian Waving Steel 5-30-21

Funny Mouse 7-23-21

Thanks for checking these out!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    2 years ago

sandyslopes what a beautiful Flemish Sky.

Debra your FME looks so perfect hemmed in with the rocks. Nice Fragrant Blue & Fire and Ice. Check your pics when you have a chance. The one you labelled Frances Williams looks like it could be say a young Paul's Glory???

mbug Thank you! Wonderful specimens as always but that Fog Light - fabulous. So happy Fingerprint is going on your list. The holes are from falling twigs impaling the leaves.

Funny Mouse. Forgot about this cutie.

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    2 years ago

Fire and Ice

Fragrant Bouquet

Fragrant Blue- in dire need to be rescued from the Foxglove and Forget me Knots

Fortunei Hyacinthina

First Frost

Fire Island

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Ok, time for comments===>>>
    Paula, the daffodils got me going, and I’ll take that little kitten!

jocl17, your Frances Williams is really gorgeous…..glad you’ve got the hang of posting.

BBC, Fire Island is lovely in that pot

Sweet betsy, First Frost is so sweet in bloom isn’t it?

Steve, I love Fox Fire Palm Sunday. I have looked for it and not been able to find it. Also love the leaves on Petticoat Junction, Flemish Beauty and Fruit Loops. I have a question……doesn’t First Blush need sun to turn red???

Beth, all of your hostas are nice, but I think First Mate is just too cute! You also have a beautiful Frances Williams.

Peren, I will have to call you Peren or I get you mixed up with sandyslopes……. :-D
    Your F&I in bloom is so pretty…….does it get a lot of sun? Your Fragrant Bouquet and Francis Williams are outstanding. I haven’t seen an FB that large and full. Frosted Dimples is a cutie! Also,
    you are absolutely right…….my Frances Williams is not!! This is what happens when you buy from a big box store. I was noticing my leaf shape looked different from everyone else’s……you are right….. I compared that picture with my Paul’s Glory and they look exactly the same!!! I think you have found several mislabeled plants in my garden and so has Utog. Glad you have a good eye!

Saija ……. I love your Frisians! I am finding I like wavy leaves!

Sandyslopes, you have such a blue Frances Williams….I love it! Does it sit in shade or sun….I understand they have a tendency to burn… your Flemish Sky is very pretty as well…..

Mbug, thanks for the compliment on Fragrant Blue…..I have NOID that looks just like it that I call “Dead Ringer “. Haha…..it’s not the same as the flowers are different. Will post with n for NOID.
    I love your Fire Island next to Liberty (?). Nice complimentary colors there…..never seen Fog Light before…..it has such soft lovely colors.

debra

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    2 years ago

Paula..I'm proud of myself..I saw the black and white cat immediately!! 😜..

fabulous Fs everyone!..I have First Frost, Fragrant Blue, Fragrant Bouquet, Francee, Frances Williams and Fortunei Albomarginata..I know the names..have tags..in the garage not by the plants!..for some no recent pics..for others uncertain IDs..so I'll let your photos speak for me! 😂..

I'll post a few pics from 2021!..(look Sherry - got a few!)

my funny Firn Line when it was new..

4-15-20..then the following year it looks funny..

4-19-21..

I have to post one of my spring favorites..Fire Island

4-19-21

5-4-21

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

First Frost, right at the top

Fried Bananas

• gardenchick2010
    2 years ago

Here's mine:

FIRE ISLAND - early spring when she was beautiful

FIRE ISLAND - in August after sun and slug damage, she still put up flower scapes. Moved her to a shadier spot, so hopefully less sun, and slug control she'll look good better this year.

FIRE AND ICE

FIRST FROST

FORBIDDEN FRUIT

FRAGRANT DREAM

FRANCES WILLIAMS

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    2 years ago

NW, looks like you did better than me with the photos😉

Sherry

2 years ago

Sherry..Lol!!..thanks!..as we go along you'll see "gaps" (no recent pics)..believe me..I have room for improvement 🙂..

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    2 years ago

I love that Air and Space Museum, Paula! Makes me laugh each time I look at it!

Everybody's Frances Williams hosta look so good. I just got one a year or two ago. I hope it grows and looks like yours one day.

Fairy Dust (center)

Feather Boa

Fragrant Bouquet (The big leaf to the right of it is a giant one eyed Brother Stefan!)

First Frost

Continuing . . .

2 years ago

First Blush in June (I know that Bob Solberg said that this hosta needs sun to bring out the red.) It doesn't get much sun in this location. Didn't even flower in 2021. It's in a spin out bag. I plan to pull it out and position it in a sunnier spot. Then I will need to figure out where in the world I will actually plant it!

Fruit Cup. Too bad I didn't get a picture of it with its flowers! Maybe next year?

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

gchick, all of your hostas look really good....but if you don't do the 1/10 vinegar or ammonia drench in spring and fall the slugs will tear Fire Island to shreds as well as many other hostas with thinner leaves. (I know from experience......I have soooo many slugs!) But before that happens it sure does shine! Your Frances Williams is a beauty too.

Oursteelers, love your Fried Banana! That Granny Smith Apple color is perfect!

newhostalady, I really like your Feather Boa....does it stay that color? And also love that crinkley leaf on Fruit Cup.....also can't wait until my Brother Stehpen has one leaf that large ;-)

p.s. mbug.... I never catch things like this.......as you can tell from above I didn't even realize my Frances Williams was really a Paul's Glory......but did you switch the names by mistake on your Fortuneis???? I am testing myself......hahaha

debra

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    2 years ago

So many nice Fire Islands that tempt me but won't break me.

Shadow that is a wonderful FH flower festival you have going on there.

ourSTEELERS! - when you say "right at the top", do you mean the big Hosta near the bottom of the picture? The Hosta at the top of the pic are pretty small. (Are you from Australia?)

Debra - not sure what you are asking. My First Blush does get some sun and is blushing a little. I've heard it also needs cool weather to blush well. SO a move to a sunnier colder garden spot should suit it well.

mbug - fabulous pics as usual but that Fog Light takes the cake. I wish mine would get big like that (how old is it?) but then I'd have to stop digging it up and splitting it, lol. I love how it goes from frosty green to frosty yellow often back and forth depending on the lighting. I didn't take any pics of it after May last year.

Fluted Fountain

My Forbidden Fruit took a big step back last year too. Guess it needs more sun after I moved it to more shade to preserve the yellow centers. It grew much better when the centers went to parchment in more sun.

I think some Hosta (like Fragrant Queen) look better when they turn white (edges), but usually I go for the yellows (and chartreuse!). This one was half shaded by a Feverfew plant which I pulled away for the pic.

Saija - Very nice Frisian Pride, hopefully, mine will look as good some day.

Frosty Morn - lost half of this plant, but the other half is going strong.

Frozen Margarita - did I mention I love chartreuse and this one with a white edge and fragrant! Starting to bounce back last year.

Man I have a lot of Fs. Guess I'm just making up for not getting many in school (yuk, yuk).

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

Steve, you are correct. It is at the bottom of the picture. I think of it as the top because it’s at the top of my hosta river then the garden slopes down.

Not in Australia, I’m in the PNW, western Washington to be more precise

2 years ago

And I saved the best for last. My favorite F and Striptease sport. Full Frontal is one of those color switcheroos between the inside and outside colors. Starting with a gorgeous chartreuse outer leaf and dark green interior.

Mid transition with a hint of blue inside May 17

By June 2 that outside edge is dark green

And the inside is yellowing by July 9

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    2 years ago

I must have been asleep . i let the alphabet get away from me! lots of great plants.

FROFROSTED JADE

FORFORBIDDEN FRUIT

FATFATAL ATTRACTION

FANTASTIC

FANTABULOUS

• gardenchick2010
    2 years ago

gchick, all of your hostas look really good....but if you don't do the 1/10 vinegar or ammonia drench in spring and fall the slugs will tear Fire Island to shreds as well as many other hostas with thinner leaves. (I know from experience......I have soooo many slugs!) But before that happens it sure does shine! Your Frances Williams is a beauty too.

I know I need to tackle the slug problem in the spring. Last year was the worst ever, though, so kind of hoping it was a one off, and won't be that bad ever again.

2 years ago

Shadow what a great clump of FH. I am so happy to see someone else that has Forget-Me-Not & Foxglove seedlings inundating their plant(s). I have so many and they look weedy when I take pics but if I rip out too many I am sad in spring.

Debra thank you! F&I gets quite a bit of sun, in fact most of the day but it is in moisture retentive soil. Since I am on a well and we have had near drought conditions the last 2 years in a row I don't want to take a chance.

nw Firn Line can look funky sometimes lol. Easy to understand why FI is a favorite in spring.

oursteelers great to see another Fried Bananas.

gardenchick very nice selection of F's. Happy to have you back.

nhl Fairie Dust is a cutie but I love Fruit Cup.

Steve there are so many sports of Striptease but that FF does look good.

sunnywood glad you woke up. I especially like Fatal Attraction.

2 years ago

Debra, Feather Boa is bright in the spring (but not as bright as Fire Island). Later in June, it turns chartreuse. I just love the way it grows in a round ball for me.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Sunnywood, so glad you woke up! We have been missing you lovely hostas……all of yours are great, but I like Forbidden Fruit and Fantastic the best…… real beauties!

debra

• Mosswood
    2 years ago

Steve Duggins, that is a fantastic and interesting coverage of Full Frontal. Those Striptease offspring are great.

• hostalover1967
    2 years ago

Frances Williams:

5 years ago, before I decided to move her because she got burned by the sun every year.

Unfortunately the new spot was under a maple and the the roots almost sucked the life out of her, until I missed her one day and went looking for her. July 2019

May 2020

May 2021 She's making a comeback!

I know a lot of you don't care for FW, because she doesn't often look her best. But she was my very first hosta I got in 1990, and she's special to me. I would have been very sad if I'd have killed off the one that started it all.

• hostalover1967
    2 years ago

Forbidden Fruit.

Fire Island

Fortunei Aureomarginata

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

hostalover, maple roots ARE hard on hosta for sure!!

• hostalover1967
    2 years ago

Yes, that maple tree and a few others are now gone, and all of my plants are doing so much better

2 years ago

Great recovery story and pics on Frances Williams. Who cares if she doesn't always look her best (lots of mine don't). When she's on she's looking good even at 30 years old.

Love the pine straw mulch, bet that keeps the slug population down. Is it naturally available to you or do you buy it and apply it.

• hostalover1967
    2 years ago

Steve, we live in the woods in SC, so it's naturally available, but I also buy 12 or so bales every year. I figure I'm going have pine needles in my beds no matter what. I do, so why not embrace it? Also its not nearly as backbreaking to apply.

I think it does help keep away slugs, to an extent, anyway. I rarely see a slug, but I do have snails. Damage seems to be minimal though.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    2 years ago

debra, my Frances Williams is at the base of a huge tree (cottonwood, will not recommend) and gets what I'd say is bright light during the day with only a little dappled direct sunlight in the afternoon. That seems to help it get very little burn. I just got lucky when I picked that spot for it! And because of the bright light the daylilies around it bloom very well. .....I think earlier you were mixing me up with Shadow/sandra. I'm really Lisa but someone had that name when I first came here, so I chose Sandyslopes because it describes my yard, so Sandy it is. :-)

Good to see you sunnywood! I moved my Fantabulous and it's finally showing some promise. I hope it will look as good as yours some day.

• old_dirt 6a
    2 years ago

Going to try this one more time. Dang Houzz, my post just disappeared.

Forbidden Fruit

Fire Island

First Frost

Francee

• old_dirt 6a
    2 years ago

A few more.

Foxfire Palm Sunday

Fire and Ice

Frances Williams - Befor the crud crept in.

Fortunei Hyacinthina

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Old Dirt, your Foxfire Palm Sunday and Forbidden Fruit are lovely specimens. Well done!

2 years ago

hostalover so glad your FW is making a comeback. They become like old friends to us and I certainly understand and appreciate that.

sandyslopes/Lisa wonderful to put a proper name to you. Is it alright if I (we) to call you Lisa?

old_dirt I agree! Your FPS is wonderful as are all your others.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Frozen Margarita for first 3, and then Fried Bananas, both new additions.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Fog Light (with Tokudama), First Love, Frosted Dimples (front) with First Frost, and Fortunei Aureomarginata with Doc.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Fog Light in fall, Fragrant Queen (that’s all I’ve got), and two of First Frost later in season.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    2 years ago

Peren/Laurie, I'll answer to Sandy or Lisa. Either one is okay. :-))

2 years ago

OK, Sandy Orlisa it is. (Sandyor Lisa?).

UtOG - Your First Frost becomes green on green later in the season? I always thought the edge turned white/cream later in the season.

Is Doc your neighbor's dog? Is that a doodle? We have a cinnamon doodle too named Maggie.

2 years ago

Here is my First Frost. Picture taken October 10th. The edges have not greened up. Actually now that I posted this picture, I never noticed that there were some very yellow edging in areas. Hmmm . . .

2 years ago

how did I miss the color change on the margins of First Frost?..this pic shows both green and white..

Oct 25 2019..

2 years ago

The last pic in the Hosta Library shows the effects of sun/shade on First Frost. The full shade one does look green on the edges. I wonder if Autumn Frost reacts the same way. I've never seen Ben Vernooij do this. It just seems to get lighter for me. Although, pics in the Hosta Library do show it with greenish edges. Its hard to know when those pics were taken. I've always assumed it was just color variation early in the season. Perhaps that is the difference. Now I need some more Hosta so I can experiment.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

I have two First Frosts, grown nearly side by side. The sunnier one does not green as much. I feel like they stay blue all season, with the bluer one on the shadier side of the corner. I will try to remember to find a good picture of the color variation with the 2 plants located side by side arouind a corner from each other.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Here is a photo of my two First Frosts where I grown them. The one on the left is in a bit more sun, which dulls the central blue and brightens the margin. Photo from September 7, 2021.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

My first frost above, gets late afternoon sun and stays blue.
    debra

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

First Frost

2 years ago

Get that cyberman away from your Hosta RIGHT NOW!!!

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Lol, Steve. My son and I were observing that my colorful, large hostas make the garden look otherworldly, like a video game alien planet. The conversation drifted and evolved tangentially to the staging of that cyberman photo.

• almosthooked zone5
    2 years ago

Fire Island top to bottom