SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_124245573

Graft multiple apple varieties on one tree vs plant 2 trees in a hole?

Matt
2 years ago

I want to add an apple tree in the spring, I only have room for 1 dwarf to semidwarf tree.

I want a second variety to ensure pollinization and also just because I like variety and suffer from addiction to planting exotic fruiting stuff. Am I better off planting 2 varieties in the same hole or grafting another variety or two to one tree in a year or two?

I tried grafting figs a few years ago and didnt have much success otherwise dont have much experience grafting. How many varieties would be too many, and any considerations on what size rootstock to use with grafting or planting in the same hole? If I graft i was thinking about using a disease resistant variety like liberty as the base and then adding a couple exotic varieties to it.

I tend to like sweet tart apples, i wanted a variety that is disease resistant and reliable and maybe something exotic that you dont see often. so i was thinking liberty, empire or goldrush with maybe ashmeads kernal or golden russet as I've seen them come up as being tasty in old threads a lot. Any thoughts on these or other really good varieties to look at? live in midwest zone 5

Comments (2)