SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sk290

Planting multiple fruit trees in 'the same hole'

Sandra Tran
14 years ago

I'm planning a home orchard and have read about planting multiple fruit trees in the 'same hole' to maximize planting space. I had originally planned on growing around 30 trees (or so) within a 65' wide (10 rows) by 21' deep (3 rows), allowing 5' or 6' space for each tree plus 2' in between each row.

However, planting multiple trees in 'the same hole' sounds really good and increases the number of trees I could plant.

My questions are:

1. What is the maximum number of trees CAN you plant in the 'same hole' and still have enough room so they are not too crowded? 2 fruit trees in a 6'x6' or 5'x5' area (or something like that) would work for the area I had originally planned.

2. How large or small should this 'the same hole' area be?

3. I'm planting semi-dwarf trees and plan on managing the size of the trees by pruning twice a season (Spring and Summer) or three times a season (Spring, early Summer and late Summer) in order to keep them around 5'-6' wide and tall. Would that work?

The planting area still needs to be cleared out (see pictures below). Meanwhile, the fruit tees have been planted in 5gal pots.

Left side of slope:

{{gwi:53597}}

Right side of slope:

{{gwi:53599}}

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Sandra

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH