SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
applenut_gw

Planting big apple trees vs. small

applenut_gw
17 years ago

This year made a big believer out of me for planting small trees. I grafted about 200 trees on various varieties of 1-year-old rootstocks (benchgrafts)and planted them in early March. I also planted a couple potted trees and about a dozen bare root.

By far the most vigorous, healthy, and best-trained trees are the little benchgrafts. Many are approaching 8' tall with trunks 1-1/4" thick, and we still have three or four months of growing season left. It doesn't seem to matter the variety of rootstock- the Bud-9 are the same size as the M7 right now, but I expect the Bud-9 will slow down while the M-7 keeps going. The bare-root trees on M7 gained about a foot of growth on the branch tips, but leaves are sparse and got sun burnt.

I noticed a big difference with the roots upon planting. The bare root trees had their roots hacked to fit into the packaging and did not have many small hair-like feeder roots. However the benchgrafts, especially the Bud-9, had roots like a mop that I was able to bury quite deeply.

Not surprisingly, the trees planted directly in the ground did much better than the ones planted in even 20-gallon pots.

Lesson learned is that when choosing a tree, the roots determine the health of the tree, not trunk caliper or length. The benchgrafts will easily pass up the larger potted and bare root trees next year and will probably produce earlier and heavier, as I was able to gently train them this year and able to avoid fruit-delaying large pruning cuts.

Applenut

Comments (13)