SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_633380041

Advice Please: 2 Story Garage Addition to 1 Story Modular Lake House

Claire Garrison
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My husband and I recently escaped the city and moved to our lake house. While we love the fresh air, we are quickly running out of space as we both work from home, downsized from two houses to one and are thinking about growing our family.

Since my husband enjoys working on cars, so a garage with living space above for office space & storage and eventually converted into an apartment for rental income added to the street side of the house seems like a no-brainer. However, we are concerned! The house is one story with a very low pitch roof and sits low on the grade of our lot and we don't want it to feel overwhelmed. Also, due to HOA restrictions, the secondary structure must be attached (neighbors seem to favor using a breezeway). We would love your input on how to ensure this won't look too weird :-/

Lastly, for design, we are considering a farmhouse look and using stairs up the the living space like the last photo.

Good people of houzz, we call upon thee :-) All suggestions, pictures and experiences welcomed!

Comments (20)