SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitjank

Advice please: Inverted house plan when there are 3 stories involved?

Whitney Jankiewicz
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My husband and I are building a home. We have two children, first and third grade ,and are a very active family. We hope this to be our home for at least the next 15 years. We are not overly concerned about resale value. The buildable envelope is 39' wide (east to west) by 100' long (north to south). Because of the dirt and slope of the land, the only option is a drive-under garage at basement level. We will have two floors on top of that. The main floor would be ground level and another story on top of that. There are great views possible from the top floor to both the north and south. So the question is: would you even consider an inverted floor plan in this scenario?

These homes are not common where we live. We are very wooed by pictures we see of such and the opportunity for abundant light and views, but obviously don't want to make a monster mistake. Although we wouldn't install one now, we would plan the space for an elevator shaft. We are aware of the negatives regarding too much sun exposure, etc., We also have our architect on board for a monster dumbwaiter for our own groceries, camping cooler, etc., so the question really revolves around a lifestyle. Is it just too much to go up essentially two flights of stairs every time you come home no matter how active you are?

I appreciate any insight!

Comments (48)