SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hanzliks_hanzlik

What subjects/topics do you have no interest in?

sal 60 Hanzlik
2 years ago

I am not interested in celebrities or TV. commercials.

How about you?

Comments (89)

• Lars
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I consider house hunting shows and home renovation shows definitely to be reality TV - or at least they pretend to be - and I do watch them. I do not watch house hunting unless it is in a location that I know or like. I watch Escape to the Country, and I think that qualifies as reality TV.

It's interesting how realtors have become TV stars, but they were preceded by people like Bob Vila. I think Norm Abram's New Yankee Workshop strays a bit from the reality TV category because personalities are removed from that show. It's one thing to teach the general public how to build a table and another thing to teach a specific person how to build a table. Typically, I find the latter more entertaining. Maybe they are all reality TV, since they are non-fiction.

I am not sure whether I consider most cooking shows to be reality TV (maybe they are), unless they are competitions, like The Great British Baking Show, which I watch, but I won't watch Gordon Ramsey. I do watch DDD, but not the other Guy Fieri shows. The Bon Appetit shows tend to blur the lines, as does Jacques Pepín when he cooks for his family. The French Chef seemed like reality TV as well, and so many they are all reality TV. The chefs are, after all, playing themselves, and this might be one of the criteria, and I think this is helpful when cooking.

I also like Project Runway and RuPaul's Drag Race.

I don't watch The Kardashians, Bachelor, or any of the Housewives shows. I used to watch The Dating Game and have a friend who did video editing for that show. He also was the main video editor for Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, which I did not watch.

I think Bravo has the worst reality TV shows, along with MTV, but I did watch Jersey Shore and Jerseylicious.

I can't say that I dislike reality TV, but I dislike certain reality TV shows. I like some celebrities and not others.

• User
    2 years ago

While my interest may vary on a scale of 1 to 10, there's really nothing that I'm not interested in ...or wouldn't take an interest in knowing more about. I'm sure the day I die I'll still be asking questions and considering myself not as well informed or as knowledgeable as I would like to be. IMO there's always something worthy about everything.

• Related Discussions

First topic: What have you lost?

Q

Comments (18)
    Deanna, I agree with you. They are not an easy plant. I will not pay a lot for them either. Will not pay more than 8.00 so I wait for online sales and my local nursery puts them on sale. I do think that we want to grow them in places that they are not meant to be grown. They look great with Hostas and ferns and most do not like that much shade. If you do not have the perfect drainage they are dead. Too much sun they will die. lol There are a lot of things that will kill them. What I learned.. -When you find what grows good in your climate notice I said climate and not zone. Zone 6 PA and Zone 6 NJ is different. -When I started growing them and losing them I started watching where people lived and what they were reporting survived. -They should not be planted deep. The crown should be above soil. -They grow great in pots. Lay the pots on their side in the winter. These have been in this pot for 4 winters,
    ...See More

Subject lines that tell us nothing about the subject

Q

Comments (42)
    Neither I nor anyone else suggested that, Glenda. In fact, I was careful to say I didn't want to criticize. With that in mind, Suzieque's post was well said. I don't recall seeing the "Pet Peeves" thread, but I'll hazard a guess that some of the things that annoy some people are not a source of annoyance to others. And, as Suzieque said, most annoyances are not big things. But of course that doesn't stop them from being annoying . . . to some. I guarantee that those of us who do find those teaser subject lines annoying (just annoying, mind you--we're not tearing out our hair or spiking our blood pressure or making demands) have plenty of small stuff that we don't sweat. And I'm pretty certain that those who claim to have learned not to react to little things have something (some small thing) they find irritating as hell.
    ...See More

Off topic- gas fireplace ? what brand do you have?

Q

Comments (8)
    We got this one: Town and Country " GDV42" gas burning fireplace. The quote is for 5k installed. It is not in yet. We chose it because we liked the looks of the flames the best. When it is on, it looks very real. We have three other real fpl in the house, this is in our most formal room and i wanted it to be easy. One thing I noticed is that they look most fake when they are off and you can see the glass. A good trick is to buy a nice, large fireplace screen (I found an old beehive one) to keep in front of it, so that when it is off you dont see shiny glass.... I also recall that some burned tooooo hot. Never occurred to me they could be too hot, but the guy said if you want only supplemental heat, make sure you get one that has good flames even on low.
    ...See More

What's your area of interest (if you have one) when you read?

Q

Comments (37)
    AnnPann - I did a little digging for you, and although I didn't find any specific sites referring to that situation, I found some books that might address it: Australia-focused home front books: S.J. Butlin and C.B. Schedvin, War Economy 1942Â1945, Australian War Memorial, Canberra, 1997 Darian-Smith, Kate. On the Home Front: Melbourne in Wartime, 1939-1945. Australia: Oxford UP, 1990. Saunders, Kay. War on the Homefront: State Intervention in Queensland, 1938-1948 (1993) The Home Front Volume I by Nancy M. Taylor NZ official history (1986) The Home Front Volume II by Nancy M. Taylor NZ official history (1986) Political and External Affairs by Frederick Lloyd Whitfeld (1958) NZ official history Britain: Calder, Angus . The People's War: Britain 1939-45 (1969) Harris, Carol (2000). Women at War 1939-1945: The Home Front. Thrupp: Sutton Publishing Limited. ISBN 0-7509-2536-1. Marwick, Arthur (1976). The Home Front: The British and the Second World War. Rose, Sonya O. (2003) Which People's War?: National Identity and Citizenship in Wartime Britain 1939-1945 Misc: Costello, John. Love, Sex, and War: Changing Values, 1939-1945 1985. US title: Virtue under Fire: How World War II Changed Our Social and Sexual Attitudes Noakes, Jeremy ed., The Civilian in War: The Home Front in Europe, Japan and the U.S.A. in World War II Exeter, UK: University of Exeter, 1992. Then below is a link to an interesting site about a community in London with oral histories etc (won't hurt your eyes).... Might be relevant... Here is a link that might be useful: Hidden Histories: East Community Heritage (London)
    ...See More
  • chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

I have no interest in sports, although in baseball season I theoretically root for the Giants…but rarely bother to watch a game. I have little interest in movies with lots of special effects or violence, superheroes, and no interest in Hallmark- type movies, either. I have zero interest in video games.

• Eileen
    2 years ago

The things that high-maintenance women find so important--their hair, skin, and wardrobes and what they are shopping for to maintain their hair, skin, and wardrobes.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

Back when I was single, in the prehistoric age, I loathed hearing all the dating dramas my friends were having. Once I was married I was no longer called on to listen to endless, Does he love me, Why did he do that, discussions. I considered that a huge fringe benefit to marriage. I have no i terest in relationship dramas.

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

Pop Culture. There are still a few interesting new films or tv shows, and many modern musicians that I love, but (unfortunately for all their pocketbooks!) none of them are well known, let alone popular.

Some things, like Sports, can be interesting, but only if an kindly expert is by my side explaining what's going on and why it's significant. Watching by myself -- no, thanks.

Anything that reeks of gore, gossip, evil, or violence has NEVER appealed to me.

Luckily that leaves a whole world full of cool ideas, things, concepts that are fascinating.

2 years ago

PS I am always amazed at how interesting dry subjects can be made by people who have a passion for them.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

There is an affliction called Celebrity Worship Syndrome. I personally have NO interest, zero, in any so-called celebrity or person in or wanting to be in some subset of interest to some. While music has been an ever-present matter of interest and attraction to me, both listening and playing, I've never had much interest in the lives or adventures of the musicians whose work I enjoy.

Sports is entertainment and often of special interest to those who as kids or indeed into adulthood played sports themselves. Not everyone, not all sports. Like many things that can become an obcession, there are people whose attention and attraction to sports is overwhelming and overdone. I know some people who live and breathe the sports of the season and the region, and I find them to be boring.

• arkansas girl
    2 years ago

I assumed that there would be a sickness/affliction associate with the over the top worship of celebrities. I just called it OCD...without investigating. There is this one relative of mine that is so engrossed in Harry Styles that you almost can't even stand to be around her. Don't ever say anything about his outlandish outfits in front of her or she will have a hissy fit, and likely stop talking to you! HA! ;) This woman is in her 40s too, so not some kid!

• maggie200
    2 years ago

Hate violence in tv shows and movies.. one of the great causes of the rise in shootings especially among young people. silly game shows where slop is poured down on contestants.

love the good stuff. documentaries, like How the Victorians Built Great Britain. Jeopardy is amazing. PBS makes great choices. Call the Midwife.

Tennis ( Rafael Nadal is yummy) and the last quarter of football games.This old House.

i wish I looked forward to more television.

• lily316
    2 years ago

I have finally been vindicated. My husband said I'm the only person he knows who hates sports. Now I find I am not. I also hate rap music and most country music. As for reality TV shows...I have never watched anything on Bravo, do not know who the housewives are, and cannot stand the Kardashians. But I do like some reality TV like Survivor, Amazing Race, and the baking shows. I can not abide the trend many young women have with the identical long usually bleached blonde curled hair, extra-thick lips, and make-up put on with a trowel.

• wildchild2x2
    2 years ago

Celebrities and pop culture, fashion, most team sports involving a ball, keeping up with the Joneses, whiney posts seeking attention, over dramatizing common occurrences in day to day life.

Also....I don't care if you got tested for covid

THIS! If someone is battling cancer, a chronic illness, healing from an injury that has them down, post away and you will have my support and be in my thoughts. Post away for much needed support. But we don't need to know about every time one gets a filling at the dentist, goes in for a routine checkups, gets a vaccine (unless some terrible reaction occurs) or blood test, got a hangnail or splinter etc. and I don't need to hear about your 20th,gee I've lost count, negative covid test! And I refuse to send prayers that your neighbor's cousin's stepdaughter's cat's spay surgery goes well.

• amicus
    2 years ago

I have no real interest in cooking or baking. I love to partake of great meals and oddly, love watching cooking/baking competitions on t.v., but have zero interest in cooking or baking myself. My mother was an excellent cook and baker, and baked from scratch every week. We had every dessert you can think of and they were all amazing. But I just never got the 'love to cook or bake' gene and only did it out of need, lol.

I cooked nice meals for my family and baked cakes, brownies, cookies, muffins, etc. for events such as birthdays, holidays, and school fund raising. But I'd much rather be cleaning than cooking, and I never baked randomly, for the pure joy of it. Our only grandchildren are from our DD, and luckily, their other grandmother is a great baker and the grandchildren enjoy 'helping' her. She makes them amazing cakes for birthdays and events, and bakes other things just for the joy of it, like my mother did.

We get along well, and joke that she's the 'cooking/baking Grandma' and I'm 'the game playing/musical Grandma' because those are two things I love doing with our grandchildren.

• Kathsgrdn
    2 years ago

Sports and most of the new "music", which is awful. It all sounds the same. I can't tell one singer/band from another and they all have the exact same music or so it seems. How boring.

• joann_fl
    2 years ago

Politics & sports

• sprtphntc7a
    2 years ago

country music, blech

nascar - waste of resources (fuel, tires), contributor of green house gases. do we really need to see cars go around in an oval???

circus or anything to do with exploitation of animals

give me a good baseball game, football game (college or pro), college basketball game anyday!!

you can keep the Kardashians and their ilk....i do love Survivor though:)

partisan politics - ugh exhausting. bi-partisan - yes

• dedtired
    2 years ago

The law. My friend is a lawyer and when he talks about his cases, I could just scream. So boring!

Yes, sports except when my teams make it to the playoffs.

Religion. Finance. i do take good care of my money but im not interested in discussing investments . Weddings.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Thanks dedtired for the reminder. I omitted religion. Not only is it something I'm not interested in, I'm also not interested in hearing or talking about anyone else's religion and any cockamamie ideas they think have some special status that gives them the right to impose them on others.

• amylou321
    2 years ago

Politics. Terrible stuff.

Non family members small children. I do not dislike children at all but have zero interest in hearing about the every move,thought, and word of someone's child. Tell me the important stuff, not what they dreamed last night or how many peas they ate.

Cars.

I would not say I have no interest in religion as I like to learn about other culture, their customs and their religions. I always felt drawn to certain pagan deities, that is not to say I believe in them. Just that I find their stories interesting. But I have zero tolerance for someone trying to foist their religion on me, or for that matter, people trying to condemn, ridicule or disprove someone else's religion. Let people live as they WANT. Disapprove all you want but keep it to yourself.

The latest fashion or music.

Trendy home design. I've seen too many open floor plans with gray floors and all white kitchens in my short life already.

Celebrities. Including non entertainment ones. I have seen a recent mass obsession with Jeff Bezos and other billionaires. People are so angry that they have so much money, and feel like they have the right to suggest what they do with it. I do not get it. They aren't going to pay MY bills so what do i care what they do (or don't do) with it?

Weddings. And for that matter baby or bridal showers. Boring.

• marilyn_c
    2 years ago

It would be easier to list the things I am interested in....but, here goes. I am not interested in sports, movies, tv....99.9%. I am not interested in celebrities or pop culture. Not interested in shopping, unless it is thrifts, yard sales, flea markets. Not interested in clothes....or dressing up. Not interested in my neighbors, although they are very nice...wave when we see each other, but our houses aren't close together, so that is only when passing on the road...or when one of us pulls over to let the other pass, because it is only a one lane road. Not interested in hearing how much my horses cost to maintain and why don't I get rid of them. Not interested in traveling any more...too much trouble and I have too much to take care of at home to leave for more than a day. Not interested in trying to impress anyone....I would fail miserably if I tried. Not interested in getting married again. Fads. Not a fan of ripped jeans and cold-shouldered blouses...ditto weird hair colors or lots of tats and piercings, but really that is none of my business what other people do....just no interest in things like that from me.

• marilyn_c
    2 years ago

Regarding not liking animals....I have a new friend that we have some things in common, like selling on ebay and going to thrift shops, and we get together about once a week to do that and go out to eat. I like her fine....and we get along great. She is single...never married...so no kids, and she doesn't like animals, especially dogs. So I will never invite her over, because not only do I have dogs...outside dogs and one little dog that stays in at night, and horses, and cats, and donkeys, and a mule and fish, and feed birds and a wild possum, and that would be over whelming to her. But I don't mind her not liking animals and it is fine with me that our relationship stays just as it is.

• nicole___
    2 years ago

I owe Elmer an apology. I DO see his first comment. I just missed it in the thread. My fault entirely. I PM'd him too.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

No worries and no apology necessary. I often miss things people have said in an earlier comment and I think others do too. No one here is getting paid for reading comprehension or thoroughness, except for the moderators.

Contributors are being paid for spelling and grammar however, in the form of whether people bother to read their comments or not and view them seriously and respectfully. No regular slipups of these types are allowed for anyone. Repeat violators will have their pay docked. And, there are repeat violators.

Edit to add - I completely missed your comment, Nicole, just as I mentioned in the first paragraph here that I often do. It was odd enough that I wouldn't have been offended because without the back-channel conversation I wouldn't have known what you were referring to. But such comments about me are guaranteed to roust my fan club, even if and especially if they have no idea what's being talked about. Sad, isn't it.

• colleenoz
    2 years ago

I must admit, Nicole, I was taken aback by the irony of you saying that you weren’t interested in other people’s drama of who they didn’t like, then proceeded to spray another forum member.

• samkarenorkaren
    2 years ago

For me...no interest in....

Sports

Buying anything based on a celebrity endorsement

Traveling

Listening to talk radio

Getting latest gadgets

Getting cable TV

Looking at tons of photos of people I don't even know

Keeping up with the Jones...

• nicole___
    2 years ago

@colleenoz...I feel the spray! :0) et toi..

• Judi
    2 years ago

I looked and couldn't find what you're talking about.

• Judi
    2 years ago

Eileen, I'm still looking.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

The number of things I have no interest in are too numerous to count. Then again, so are the things I'm interested in. The numbers get smaller if you ask what things other people are interested that do or don't interest me.

Not interested in any "reality TV" shows, which are so far from reality, it's really a misnomer......They're almost as scripted as any drama or comedy show. I"m not interested in following or watching sports, professional or otherwise. I have more interest in international politics/social policies than most, but relatively little in local politics (except before I have to vote). I have no interest in cookbooks or cooking shows, even though I love to cook (and eat). I do enjoy "video games", but they are not the "gamer" games most people think of - I play puzzle mystery games. I'm not interested in fashion (personal, home, or vehicular), and not interested in the lives of celebrities.

• Annegriet
    2 years ago

Babies. Breastfeeding. Getting pregnant. Birth. Diapers. Yeah--anything to do with babies.

• jojoco
    2 years ago

Hi Eileen and Judy, come on over to the Home Decorating Conversations forum and stick around for a bit. The best part of that forum is that it represents so many different perspectives. Sure, we're just as likely to talk about going grey as we are about retirement planning or trouble sleeping, vacation ideas, or a new grandchild. It's always something different, kind of like the relationships I have in person. But the most important thing to all of us on the conversations side is the support we offer each other in times of crisis and in joy. If that is high maintenance, I'll take it.

• Judi
    2 years ago

Jojoco, I saw the thread on grey hair. Surely that's not what Eileen is referring to. Or maybe it is. That would be sad.

• althea_gw
    2 years ago

Topics that don't interest me include celebrity gossip/culture, lionization of billionaire sociopaths, tv shows because I havent had a tv for almost 2 decades, threads repeating mainstream media talking points and/or those likely to be heavily sauturated with those talking points,agitprop.

• Eileen
    2 years ago

Judi, to answer your question a week later, I've been reading the Home Decor forum for close to ten years and I think that forum is unique in that a good portion of the forum is the well-to-do talking about shopping for hair, skin, and wardrobes. It's interesting to me only to the extent that they find it so interesting.

2 years ago

Wow, Eileen, how charming.

• Eileen
    2 years ago

I thought it sounded catty so I removed my comment immediately afterward but Judi choose to save it for some odd reason. So mystery solved. You need to know where to find high-end treatments for hair and skin or want to spend hundreds of dollars on some little item of clothing? Home Decor is the place!

• Judi
    2 years ago

Why would you spend 10 years on a forum you so freely criticize? I'm sure many members there would find your comments offensive.

• Eileen
    2 years ago

Why would you save someone's post for a week?

There used to be more interesting topics discussed in the past there but they're forbidden now.

BTW, going gray is low-maintenance. I highly recommend it!

• Judi
    2 years ago

There used to be more interesting topics discussed in the past there but they're forbidden now.

What is considered forbidden on a home decorating forum?

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

zalco, similar attitudes are often on display and expressed by many other people in this forum too. I can't afford that, I don't know that, I haven't had that experience and it's not like that where I live so it isn't like that anywhere, it's not how I see it, I don't have that luxury or interest, so you're wasting my time and YOU'RE WRONG.

It's hypocritical by many with such attitudes on display yet while considering themselves to be open-minded.

• jojoco
    2 years ago

I'd be surprised to learn that there are "forbidden" topics on the conversations side. ALL topics seem to be fair game until someone takes it south. It did seem to happen a lot in the fall of 2020. Seems to me that happens on every board.

• bpath
    2 years ago

If I’m not interested in a topic, I scroll on by. Happens here, happens on Conversations, all the forums. For all kinds of reasons. Fortunately, there are plenty of topics that I do enjoy. And the same people who are in the threads I enjoy, also post in threads I have no interest in. It all balances out.

• WittyNickNameHere ;)
    2 years ago

I'll read the first few lines of the OP and if it peeks my interest I'll keep reading. If not, I go back to the home page. I rarely if ever respond to "send prayers": I'm Athiest, but sometimes send best wishes for a quick recovery. It depends on my mood that day. ;) I'm that person....

I hate politics, especially American politics and the last 5 years have completely done me in. I don't mind the covid posts (who has it, who doesn't, their symptoms) but don't get me started if you are an covidiot. I actually have to force myself not to respond.

I'm not an animal person and if your pet dies, I'm sorry but it's a dog. It's a cat. (yes I've had cats and yes two have died but it's NOTHING like losing a human child and that I CAN compare as I've lost a child).

I enjoy the baking posts. Vacation posts (I get envious a lot, but get lost in the photos if you've been somewhere hot with palm trees and a beach).

If the header looks boring, I won't open it. Sometimes the header looks really good and then I open it and find "oh........ another my dog did a new trick type post..... lol

You can tell which posts I like by which posts I comment on. And I really don't comment on nearly as many as when I first found this page over 20 years ago.

• functionthenlook
    2 years ago

I'm with some here. I have no interest in professional sports.

I have no interest in your religion, but respect the right for you to worship as you choose. Just don't try to save me or tell me I need reborn.

I have no interest in people that think their opinion should be everyone's opinion.

I have no interest in virtue signaling.

I have no interest in anyone's personal immunization history. It's personal, nobodies business.

Nope on most reality TV shows. My hubby likes to watch Mountain Men. At least once every show someone could possibly die from the elements. Ya, like the camera crew is going to walk away and let you freeze. Lol

I'm not interested in celebrities like most here. Do they want to be famous or have a personal life. They can't have both.

I have no interest in seeing another snowstorm kitchen. If you like it, fine it's your kitchen. Don't push that everyone should have one.

• wildchild2x2
    2 years ago

Weddings, funerals, banquets, just about all large celebrations or gatherings. I would rather be out with one or two or even several people I actually enjoy the company of. Plus social chit chat ends up setting my teeth on edge. I enjoy visits with my out of state niece and nephew and their families along with ours but a huge reunion of all the relations at once? Not so much.

One wedding I really enjoyed. A local friend of DD's and mine got married in a Nevada chapel. She just had close family and a very few very close friends attend, maybe 10 people if that. They streamed the wedding live remotely for those of us who would like to "attend". Loved it. It was wonderful and heartwarming to see the bride and groom from the front instead of staring at their backsides as the service went on. Really made one feel a real part of things, seeing their expressions, sharing their emotions etc. Just lovely.

• jemdandy
    2 years ago

Wow! That is a big question: What subjects are you not interested in? There are thousands and more subjects that exist and. I can't know most of those. However, like the preceding posters, I can name a few that spark no interest such as: Who was a pop singer in the 1970s, who wrote what opera, clothing styles, or who blew their nose in church last Sunday.

Short lived clothing fads leave me cold. Poorly made children toys I dislike. Anything that appears to be a waste of money is not favored. People who write about technical subjects and do not know enough about the subject to realize when errors or bad logic are made.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Besides sports of just about any kind, either playing or watching (well, I'll make an exception for women's roller derby, lol. Not the old phony fight TV version, but what women are competing in currently. It is so fun!), this time of year I realize I really have no interest in the year in review. I don't want to see or hear about "who we lost" or the most popular of anything, like music or movies for the last year.
    I really have loved music throughout my life and have fond memories of different performers I've seen, songs I've loved along the way, but I am not an oldies but goodies fan. Once I've had my fill of popular songs, I'm done with them and most of the time I don't want to hear them played now.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

That's an unusual view of music. No need to buy CDs then.

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

I also dislike "The Oldies". The 50's and 60's music gets on my nerves. It is also DH's favorite. So I have to tolerate it sometimes. I am more of a music liker than lover. Live music is not enjoyable for me either. Too loud

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville