SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Subject lines that tell us nothing about the subject

alisande
15 years ago

Perhaps I'm the only one who gets weary of opening message threads only to find that the original poster is asking something I can't answer, or sharing information about something that doesn't interest me. If so, please ignore what I'm about to say. I don't want to be critical.

Today, for example, I opened up a thread titled "what happened," thinking it might refer to a news item. Instead, it was about a TV show I'm unfamiliar with.

Then we have "Couple of things I don't understand on......." and "Do you have a big.........."

That last one opens up all sorts of possibilities! LOL But it would be so helpful to give the rest of us a hint of what you're talking about. It wastes time to open up threads we're not likely to learn from or contribute to.

Sometimes I just pass them by without opening. But then you risk missing something you might want to read. Like Dotmom's thread about our screen names. I think it's fun to read what people have to say about their names. But I almost didn't open "Anyone want to share what........"

Am I in the small minority on this, or would more of you like to see subject lines with a little clarification?

Susan

Comments (42)