SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwhitty8

Make home LESS mid-century modern?

J Whitty
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We bought a house which we love a few months ago. It was on our street and, although we had never seen inside, we had our eye on it for a few years. Since houses rarely ever go on the market in our small town, we jumped on this one when the owners decided to move to a retirement home.

The house was built in the late 60s and the previous owners lived in it for almost 50 years. They never updated anything, so it's a blank slate for us. It doesn't have the flat roof or boxy, glass-wall vibes. But it does have the big brick fireplace in the middle of the living room, some exposed wood paneling in the sunroom, and lots of pastel greens, blues, and pinks in the bathrooms. I suppose some people call this 'mid-century modest.'

We're planning lots of work on the house, but one thing that's been bothering me is that I sort of overlooked the style of the house when we bought it. I'm realizing that while the house is obviously mid-century, my personal style leans more toward scandi mixed with a little bit of English farmhouse. I love deVOL. I love shaker cabinets. I love hygge. I follow a lot of instagram accounts featuring renovated victorian homes in the UK. If I could model my home after @home__stead, I totally would.

However, I know I can't pretend I live in an old victorian when my home is truly mid-century. That wouldn't be true to the house. And I got spooked last night reading opinion articles about how shaker cabinets can't be put in mid-century homes. That everything needs to be clean lines and geometric shapes and God forbid I ever paint over the wood paneling.

So maybe I made a mistake buying a mid-century. But for now it's mine and I want to help breathe new life into it. I'm curious if there are ways I can make it less mid-century while not totally confusing people. Or should I just say 'screw it' and do whatever I want with my own house because it's mine and I want it to bring me joy?

Help me, Obi-Wans of Houzz. You're my only hope.

Comments (20)