SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
epete_

Need help with living room flooring of a mid-century modern house.

Pete Edberg
6 years ago

We've recently purchased what we believe is called a mid-century modern house, built at the end of the 60's (both me and my wife are architecture/design noobs - we just liked it, found out only after purchase). Besides other renovation tasks (re-paint, refinish the cabinets/wood platform across the kitchen), we have to decide what to put on top of the concrete that is now the living+library room areas. After reading more about this specific architectural style, we are afraid of making a faux-pas, plus, we want the inside to fit the outside (house is surrounded by trees and shrubs - this is the Pacific Northwest).

After some research we're thinking of some light stain of solid red oak on top of the slab (we've been told that we don't have to go the engineered wood path, the house is 50 years old, the concrete is settled by now, humidity ok, etc. and we would like to keep the option of multiple refinishes some years down the line), placed diagonally - to somewhat match the fireplace angled wooden wings (does anyone know if they have a name? - tried to find photos of similarly shaped wings online but came up empty).

Part of the space (the middle) will be hard-hit by light (two story high windows across the fireplace),so we'd have to take into account that as well.

There is already a lot of red oak - the platform across the kitchen, the fireplace wings and the wood panels on the walls (not sure they are oak though)- and we want the space to be more formal (not barn/cabin like), but I kind of eliminated the natural stone and carpet, I just feel like it doesn't fit the character of the place.

Any advice/suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Comments (14)